StealthKK

[0.3.10190.0] - [Win10 "Play Anywhere"] - Very pixelated graphics

17 posts in this topic

Specifically in the Windows 10 app store version (I call it the Play Anywhere version) the graphics are pixelated to the point where its gross looking and unplayable. I actually bought the game a second time. First was on steam, loved it played it. Second was on the windows store because I found out I could play it on my xbox one and in windows. So I set out to do so, but I actually have the games open side by side and the "play anywhere" version, which is the windows store version is sickeningly pixelated to the point where I can't even bring myself to play it. Why is that? I notice it happened with Recore too, so I'm expecting to hear some kind of "it's Microsoft" response. Anyway, I'm disappointed. Here are some screenshot comparisons. I am not crazy. The steam version is way better. Both of these screenshots were taken from windowed mode, so please don't feed me some bs about my resolution being wrong. 

This is a legit difference. I am also going to file another bug with the win 10 "play anywhere" version for audio, because it's way too quiet.

astroneer steam mode.PNG

astroneer win 10 anywhere mode.PNG

Any particular reason why the first screenshot is 2559x1014 and the second 1917x1004? If there's something wrong with the resolution of the Win10-version, it's likely to appear blurred, "pixelated" (I've seen other people trying to re-create a "retro" look that way, though on purpose).

PS: Yes, I read your post. I do however want to confirm why the resolutions are different. There may be a solution in that.

2 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

Any particular reason why the first screenshot is 2559x1014 and the second 1917x1004? If there's something wrong with the resolution of the Win10-version, it's likely to appear blurred, "pixelated".

Because my main monitor is an ultra-wide and my secondary is a pleb-aspect ratio. I had both versions running at the same time on either monitor. Shouldn't affect the render of the game other than the steam version had more pixels to render. I could have very well swapped the running apps when I took the screenshot and you'd've gotten an ultra-wide pixelated screenshot for the win10 version :P

For these screenshots, the win10 version was running on the pleb-aspect ratio monitor. To clarify, however, I swapped them around a few times before taking the screenshots. It made no difference. The win10 version was always pixel-y. If you zoom on it you can clearly see how the text is kind of blurry and aliased, the poly edges are all yukky. It's clearly sub-sampling when it renders. I assume this is an xbox feature for when the xbox can't keep up with the render, it automatically subsamples and gives you a crappier image to save framerate. It happened in Recore constantly.

Just now, StealthKK said:

Because my main monitor is an ultra-wide and my secondary is a pleb-aspect ratio. I had both versions running at the same time on either monitor. Shouldn't affect the render of the game other than the steam version had more pixels to render. I could have very well swapped the running apps when I took the screenshot and you'd've gotten an ultra-wide pixelated screenshot for the win10 version :P

For these screenshots, the win10 version was running on the pleb-aspect ratio monitor. To clarify, however, I swapped them around a few times before taking the screenshots. It made no difference. The win10 version was always pixel-y. If you zoom on it you can clearly see how the text is kind of blurry and aliased, the poly edges are all yukky. It's clearly sub-sampling when it renders. I assume this is an xbox feature for when the xbox can't keep up with the render, it automatically subsamples and gives you a crappier image to save framerate. It happened in Recore constantly.

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying and the report!

Note: The developers look at all the bug reports, but you may not necessarily receive a direct response. I just try to avoid possible misunderstandings and suggest possible solutions, if available.

I guess what I really want to know from this bug post is:

• Is my theory correct- is the win10 version pixelated because it's subsampling as a feature for the benefit of framerate? Will this ever get better?
4 hours ago, StealthKK said:

• Is my theory correct- is the win10 version pixelated because it's subsampling as a feature for the benefit of framerate? Will this ever get better?

This is like, the FIRST thing I noticed about the windows 10 "play anywhere" version, and it was so bad I couldn't play. I just can't believe others don't notice it immediately and as the primary problem. Why isn't this like the first sticky issue of the entire forum??? If you can buy the steam edition and get a perfect resolution, but then buy the win10 edition and get a grainy, diluted crappy version of the game, why? why aren't you told, "The windows 10 version is a grainy far cry from the steam version. If you value quality and resolutions that match year 2000 and beyond, get the steam version." Why? Why hasn't someone at least made the distinction in the game's advertising???

9 hours ago, StealthKK said:

This is like, the FIRST thing I noticed about the windows 10 "play anywhere" version, and it was so bad I couldn't play. I just can't believe others don't notice it immediately and as the primary problem. Why isn't this like the first sticky issue of the entire forum??? If you can buy the steam edition and get a perfect resolution, but then buy the win10 edition and get a grainy, diluted crappy version of the game, why? why aren't you told, "The windows 10 version is a grainy far cry from the steam version. If you value quality and resolutions that match year 2000 and beyond, get the steam version." Why? Why hasn't someone at least made the distinction in the game's advertising???

It's because this is not a common issue (at least I really saw reports about it). There may be some setting in your OS that's causing trouble. I am only using the Steam version, so unfortunately I would not be able to check if I can reproduce this issue somehow.
Just for the sake of troubleshooting, have you tried unplugging the 21:9 monitor and proceed to start the Win10 Store using only your 16:9?

2 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

It's because this is not a common issue (at least I really saw reports about it). There may be some setting in your OS that's causing trouble. I am only using the Steam version, so unfortunately I would not be able to check if I can reproduce this issue somehow.
Just for the sake of troubleshooting, have you tried unplugging the 21:9 monitor and proceed to start the Win10 Store using only your 16:9?

A-HA! I figured it out. It's not the monitor that matters. It's whenever I go in to the options menu. As soon as I go in to options, and it doesn't matter whether I change anything, but all it takes it going and looking at the video or audio settings and when I leave the menu, the game has that horrible pixelation shown in the screenshot.

6 hours ago, StealthKK said:

A-HA! I figured it out. It's not the monitor that matters. It's whenever I go in to the options menu. As soon as I go in to options, and it doesn't matter whether I change anything, but all it takes it going and looking at the video or audio settings and when I leave the menu, the game has that horrible pixelation shown in the screenshot.

Wow, that sounds like a strange bug!

Thanks for reporting back!

Since this is a very easily replicate-able bug and not one of those multi step "if i do this sometimes this will happen" kind of bugs, do you think the devs will verify and respond to whether they will put it in their backlog? 

7 hours ago, StealthKK said:

Since this is a very easily replicate-able bug and not one of those multi step "if i do this sometimes this will happen" kind of bugs, do you think the devs will verify and respond to whether they will put it in their backlog? 

I'll forward it to make sure they know.

6 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

I'll forward it to make sure they know.

You're awesome, thanks!

I also have a bug on my high-DPI display 2736x1824 when I go to the menu the only option to change resolution in graphics options is the native resolution 2736x1824 but I want to set lower resolution because my PC can't run this game with high-res. The game just don't let me change resolution. I'm on Windows 10 version.

ASTRONEER 7_16_2017 2_47_59 AM.png

6 hours ago, Nikita Shustov said:

I also have a bug on my high-DPI display 2736x1824 when I go to the menu the only option to change resolution in graphics options is the native resolution 2736x1824 but I want to set lower resolution because my PC can't run this game with high-res. The game just don't let me change resolution. I'm on Windows 10 version.

ASTRONEER 7_16_2017 2_47_59 AM.png

Please do create a thread for your issue next time. :P

Check the following:

Go to "C:\Users\[Yourusername]\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor" and open "GameUserSettings.ini".
Change the following settings to whatever number you want:

ResolutionSizeX=
ResolutionSizeY=
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeX=
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeY=
DesiredScreenWidth=
DesiredScreenHeight=

X = width
Y = height

This may help with the issue. To be sure it won't be changed by the game, check the write protection of the file after you're done editing.

3 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

Please do create a thread for your issue next time. :P

Check the following:

Go to "C:\Users\[Yourusername]\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor" and open "GameUserSettings.ini".
Change the following settings to whatever number you want:

ResolutionSizeX=
ResolutionSizeY=
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeX=
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeY=
DesiredScreenWidth=
DesiredScreenHeight=

X = width
Y = height

This may help with the issue. To be sure it won't be changed by the game, check the write protection of the file after you're done editing.

I think Windows 10 version has a different path to GameUserSettings.ini. I can't find "Astro" directory.

7 hours ago, Nikita Shustov said:

I think Windows 10 version has a different path to GameUserSettings.ini. I can't find "Astro" directory.

My bad, I forgot the Windows 10 Store version is different (in that regard)
Unfortunately I do not have any information about the Windows 10 Store version myself, but IIRC it probably wouldn't let you change it anyway.
I'll reply again if I happen to find a solution.

4 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

My bad, I forgot the Windows 10 Store version is different (in that regard)
Unfortunately I do not have any information about the Windows 10 Store version myself, but IIRC it probably wouldn't let you change it anyway.
I'll reply again if I happen to find a solution.

I hope you'll find a solution because I want to play this game but I can't. This game is awesome!

12 hours ago, Nikita Shustov said:

I do believe that the win 10 version has all of the game assets and files inside of the UWP store file. It is uneditable.