Strait to the point, certain factions give you certain bonuses. Some examples: 

Engineers: All vehicles cost one less resource to build, along with all their attachments

Explorers: Tether packs hold one more tether, larger backpack space and more oxygen capacity

Builder: all base expansions only cost one resin and terrain tool is more powerful in all ways

Researcher: Research pods with resources will only have rare items, and research stations cost half the energy to operate

factions also have unique items that can be researched only when in that faction.

you can change factions ever 24hrs (real time)

I like that idea, though changing factions shouldn't be a thing within the same world.

See it as a permanent bonus you can pick for your playstyle. Letting people change, even if it takes ages, kinda turns it into just some extra.

2 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

I like that idea, though changing factions shouldn't be a thing within the same world.

See it as a permanent bonus you can pick for your playstyle. Letting people change, even if it takes ages, kinda turns it into just some extra.

Yeah, just said that because each faction will have certain things to research and I didn't want anyone missing out on something

Having it like that could encourage playing with friends.  (Start a game as an explorer, invite your friend in to play as a researcher so those items can be found and unlocked...)

Or just make those special items far more rare for the other astroneer types.

Edited by Indomitus1973