ovidash2011

Idea for Planet Map

Hello, fellow Astroneers.

I wanna share an idea, feature request, for Astroneer. I recently embarked into discovering the planet I landed on, with a truck and a rover attached to it. Started on a straight line away from home base, and thought to myself that if I keep going straight, follow the sun etc, I will eventually end up BACK at my home base. Boy was I wrong (and this is awesome) because the game and terrain is unpredictable.

I managed to get back close-ish of my home base, but not close enough for the beacons to be visible. And here's the issue. What is the point of the beacons? If you go far enough you will not see them and cannot get back. 

Yeah, you could argue that you can place beacons along your route, like Hansel and Gretel, but some sort of map or compass, would be even better. Or at least a zoom out, orbital view of the planet you are on, to get your bearings.

How did I end up back at my home base? Well, before my journey, I did build a rocket module thingy. So when I did consider it's time to abandon the rovers I simply suffocated and re-spawned at home base where I had the rocket ship. Popped in, orbited the planet and saw that the rovers were 1 landing bubble away to the right of the home base landing bubble. So I sacrificed the rocket by landing almost next to the rovers and went in the direction of the home base.

However, had it not been for the orbital view. I would've been lost forever... and ever... and ever.

Yes. It would be cool if we had to

1) Build a radar / comms  station 

2) Launch a satellite (or multiple)

then with the two we would get access to a world map, for that planet!

I'd love this! 

18 minutes ago, Jalix said:

Yes. It would be cool if we had to

1) Build a radar / comms  station 

2) Launch a satellite (or multiple)

then with the two we would get access to a world map, for that planet!

I'd love this! 

Your idea is even better Jalix. Work to get access to easier ways of discovering / uncovering the planet. Very cool.

+1 to satellites  for Weather, map, resources, other possible base locations, terrain elevation, a timer/clock for day/night cycle, position inside caves or inside the planet(tethers), we all know there is no signal inside a cave :D , and etc.