goldenade

Steam or Windows Store?

Hello,

I was wondering which method would be best to purchase through. Some related questions I had;

• Is Steam patches released on a more regular basis?
  • Does one perform better then the other?
  • Are there technical differences between each?
  • Is one getting more focused attention from the dev team?
  • Does Astroneer make use of DX12, DX11, OpenGL, and/or Vulkan? I see it is build using Unreal Engine which has support for all these.

Thanks.

I'm not sure I can really answer these questions given that I don't own both copies (to provide truly accurate information). In terms of your first point/question, I have the windows/xbox version to play with friends, and I've noticed from reading the forums that steam has access to beta updates that push through quicker (All Xbox updates have a longer approval process in general).

Thanks Griffyth.

I've though of another question to add.

How will Windows Store (UWP) support the desired "modding" scene that I've heard the dev team talk about?

It sounds like they have intentions on doing this with steam workshop but my understanding of UWP games is they don't support or allow modding and there is no equivalent for "user generated" content in Windows Store ecosystem. That would be an unfortunate limitation to the UWP version of the game I would suspect...

I have both versions. They equally have good features.

UWP seems more stable from my experience. Sadly, UWP as far as I know is subject to the same lengthy update certifications that XBone is. Mods from nexusmods.com might work, but, MS is fairly stern on what you can do with their stuff. But, you basically get 2 games for 1 price and cross-platform play/savegames, which no one else offers.

ARK has mods for XBone, so that's a good sign right?

Steam offers the option to access the 'beta' branch and more frequent updates; along with the Workshop -if they decide to allow modding (it's listed on their roadmap but not in any great detail)

Just buy both if you can, I did, it's worth the $40 ;)

it all depends where you want to play the game at this particular moment. Sofa or pc. asuming you don't have the steam link and steam controller. 

Edited by endurance

My personal opinion: Avoid Windows store games like the plague.

It's a mess. You can't change configurations for your games, you typically can't use any kind of modding, performance is typically terrible. Everything is locked down tighter than Fort Knox.

There's a reason they did a re-release of quantum Break on Steam.

So while it's nice you basically get two platforms for the price of one.... No thanks Microsoft - at least from this customer ^_^

I will always recommend Steam. I would never touch the Windows Store. Steam is less proprietary and gives the users and developers more control compared to Windows Store/Xbox

I picked up the Windows Store version for the cross-buy on Xbox, mostly for down the road. Definitely considering picking it up on Steam as well for everything mentioned in this post: bigger community, better access, beta branches, faster turn around time, etc..

Plus, give the game is only $19.99, I've easily already gotten my money's worth, even if it was $40+. Hell I've spent 60 or more on triple-A titles that are garbage compared to Astroneer.