Are you on PC or XBox One? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to control the Crane on Xbox, apart from moving it around. It just hovers above ground and I cannot get it to dig down. (It is currently mounted on the back of a truck)

2 hours ago, Manosman said:

Can anyone get the crane to properly work and what is it for if we have a terrain molding tool anyways?

The crane currently only has the Drill Head tool that can be placed on its end to make it useful. Certain large mineral blocks underground can only be mined with this drill head, making it useful for deep planetary mining. Also, stronger mineral deposits like Titanium and Lithium need either this drill to be mined, or dynamite. 

3 minutes ago, MustardTiger said:

Are you on PC or XBox One? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to control the Crane on Xbox, apart from moving it around. It just hovers above ground and I cannot get it to dig down. (It is currently mounted on the back of a truck)

You need to attach the drill head to it if you haven't already. If you have and nothing is still happening, make sure the truck has power.

i was dissapointed last night.... i started drilling into a mountain

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=821711228

and after 1 hour of drilling.... i tried the gun/gatherer that the player has ... it works a lot faster with the gun .... because it covers a wider surface. 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=821711384

i haven't found harder materials like @Daroguetoaster says. but that must be like 1% of the entire mining material

Edited by endurance

5 hours ago, Daroguetoaster said:

The crane currently only has the Drill Head tool that can be placed on its end to make it useful. Certain large mineral blocks underground can only be mined with this drill head, making it useful for deep planetary mining. Also, stronger mineral deposits like Titanium and Lithium need either this drill to be mined, or dynamite. 

Misinformation.

I mine Lith and Titanium just fine with the hand tool -and they are not "large blocks", at least not yet. Maybe that's changing in the future?

Also, gathering them is 2x as fast vs. Compound and Resin. Don't know why.

6 hours ago, optyk said:

Misinformation.

I mine Lith and Titanium just fine with the hand tool -and they are not "large blocks", at least not yet. Maybe that's changing in the future?

Ohh, pardon me. Someone in a previous thread mentioned that you can't hand mine them, and someone else agreed with them.

6 hours ago, optyk said:

Misinformation.

I haven't been deep in the starter planet yet, are there larger "veins" of resources? Maybe that's what the drill has to be used for?

7 hours ago, optyk said:

Misinformation.

I agree here. So far I have not encountered anything I cannot mine without the default hand tool. I have yet to "need" the drill as far as I can tell. Was curious what it was for also. 

I went to another planet (with lots of outer "shell" -type formations) and found titanium deposits that were on darkened rock that looked like under-building pad. (that my hand gun couldn't dig) That's the stuff the drill is for.

9 hours ago, optyk said:

Misinformation.

Incorrect.

On Advanced planets(Arid/Radioactive I know for certain), some resources like Titanium, Astronium and Lithium will spawn in darker 'bedrock' deposits that cannot be mined with the handheld vacuum tool. That's what the drill is for.

The original question was for Xbox I'm sure. How do you make the crane with the drill go up and down??

I am on Xbox and, from what I've experienced, I can't find any way to make the crane with drill head go down. It only hovers over the ground. If I hold the action button to drill, it turns and obviously works, but I can't make it go down. Is there simply a lacking feature currently to control the crane and drill head fully on Xbox?

11 hours ago, optyk said:

Misinformation.

This is incorrect, titanium and lithium ARE large blocks.. that can only be mined with the drill, however, you can mine the peripheral of the blocks with the deformer and still get some of the mineral.  But you won't get all of it. You need to either blow it up with dynamite or use the drill.

One important point on using the crane/drill is that you don't get harmed by gas/acid/explosions.  So you can use it to kill the various plants that attack you. 

2 hours ago, Slywyn said:

Incorrect.

On Advanced planets(Arid/Radioactive I know for certain), some resources like Titanium, Astronium and Lithium will spawn in darker 'bedrock' deposits that cannot be mined with the handheld vacuum tool. That's what the drill is for.

I can confirm this is the case.  You can only drill these types of deposits.

Edited by Serlo

I have found the drill is twice as fast as the vacuum until you have to get out and change seats at least.  It is also more power efficient I think