Zeus

How deep can you dig into the planet?

How deep have gone into the planet? Has anyone reached the core? Technique?

I went to the bottom of a mine and started digging straight down, probably about 50 tethers worth.  Found some coal randomly when digging side tunnels every so often.

Needless to say, I'm now out of tethers and believe this to have been a one way trip.

deep.planet.png

Edited by Zeus

Well at least if you ever find your corpse, you'll have 5 coal..

Edited by Martin

I just hope there isn't a single lithium waiting for you at the core.

Also, how does gravity work near the center?

I used about 14 packs of tethers to reach the "core" in the starter planet. You can probably use less, I didn't use the full length of the tether range.

I went to the core, I went up through the other side... What I did was I parked a truck next to the dig site, equipped with solar panels, batteries, and wind vanes (this was before I linked to the base). I placed a tether between the truck and hole and set a storage full of compound next to me. Then I dug "straight" down and placed tethers on the tunnel wall as I went. Eventually I realized the storage was falling slower, and then so was I. Before even reaching the core I was weightless and just floated in place. A friend of mine joined at that point and brought more tethers, getting down the tunnel by spiraling down it against the wall. At the point we were weightless, she started digging a side tunnel which got us both very disoriented. Then I started digging upward to reach the core... Yeah, very weird. We climbed over the core and started tunneling upward some more. By the way, before reaching the core, it can be very difficult to proceed. What I did was tried moving forward while looking down and pushing against the wall, essentially 'climbing' down the tunnel. Can be very tricky. So then above the core, we used a few methods, like digging at a slight slant, hopping on imperfections, digging pockets in the sides to jump from with the 'moon gravity', and eventually made a tunnel that spiraled upward until we reached the surface. Once out, we ran tethers alllll the way back around to the entrance and then connected it to the base. :) Only problem is, now the game is graphically laggy. :(