Sign in to follow this  
Litho

Custom Flag

Howdy! 

It would be really neat if we could have a custom flag in game. Many games have done this in the past. Either as a game feature or a Mod function.

A simple graphic added to a directory in game or uploaded to the game itself. Have a specific format and size as requirements.

The flag could have a designated spot on the buggy/ships/base/suit. By default there could be some basic or simple flags. Not sure how easy it would be to get it to work multiplayer, but that would be cool. An ability to "plant" the flag would also be super sweet (think I saw we could,  but may have been another game lol)

Even expanded for when/if theres a persistent server version would be a "team" or "crew" flag that would be assigned to all in that crew to temporarily override the personal flag.

I have had similar thoughts. A flag you can plant is much needed in this. If anything just for the aesthetic of 'claiming' an area for the 'company' you are working for! And also Flag decals on ships/rovers etc would be cool. Maybe not custom flags at first, but prefab designs. 

Edited by Secret Squirrel

Custom Flags would be pretty hard to implement I think. At least when you want to Import them from outside of the game. An Ingame Editor would be easier I think but that would be against the simplisitc UI of the game. A really difficult but theme but cool to think about!

2 minutes ago, Xasu said:

Custom Flags would be pretty hard to implement I think. At least when you want to Import them from outside of the game.

No not hard. It's all just data and with multi-player the game would constantly be sending and receiving it anyway.

With current multiplayer all it would require is that players import some flag graphic into the game, either in a particular format or the game could convert it into one. Then when you join a multiplayer game it sends everyone's flags to each other and they get stored in a game cache.

2 minutes ago, Nick said:

No not hard. It's all just data and with multi-player the game would constantly be sending and receiving it anyway.

With current multiplayer all it would require is that players import some flag graphic into the game, either in a particular format or the game could convert it into one. Then when you join a multiplayer game it sends everyone's flags to each other and they get stored in a game cache.

But Astroneer is developed using the Unreal Engine 4 which doesnt directly supports Importing stuff from out of the engine directly in the game(As far as I know). So they would need to make Source Code changes (Even though I think they've already did some for the Voxel Terrain etc.), which makes it much harder.

Edited by Xasu

7 minutes ago, Xasu said:

But Astroneer is developed using the Unreal Engine 4 which doesnt directly supports Importing stuff from out of the engine directly in the game(As far as I know). So they would need to make Source Code changes (Even though I think they've already did some for the Voxel Terrain etc.), which makes it much harder.

It could literally be (assuming it's in the right format) just a matter of copying a file from one location on your PC into somewhere in the game folder. Or just copying it there yourself.

Just now, Nick said:

It could literally be (assuming it's in the right format) just a matter of copying a file from one location on your PC into somewhere in the game folder. Or just copying it there yourself.

When Unreal Engine Games are exported, all the files (Models, Texture, Code etc.) are put into one .pak File (As far as I know). So it could be hard to do that without any deep source code changes.

2 minutes ago, Xasu said:

When Unreal Engine Games are exported, all the files (Models, Texture, Code etc.) are put into one .pak File (As far as I know). So it could be hard to do that without any deep source code changes.

No - we're talking about adding a single game folder (to store cached flag images). That would be handled by the installer, not the game engine.

Just now, Nick said:

No - we're talking about adding a single game folder (to store cached flag images). That would be handled by the installer, not the game engine.

Pretty hot discussion we are having here :D To my knowledge UE4 games arent installed by a installer or so. They "just" got all the files, the stuff from the engine and the .exe that runs the game. But even if it would be so easy to just put it into a seperate folder you will still need source code changes because you can't get the files into the game otherwise. 

1 minute ago, Xasu said:

Pretty hot discussion we are having here :D To my knowledge UE4 games arent installed by a installer or so. They "just" got all the files, the stuff from the engine and the .exe that runs the game. But even if it would be so easy to just put it into a seperate folder you will still need source code changes because you can't get the files into the game otherwise. 

Every program is installed by an installer. It doesn't just magically appear on your machine. At the very least it has to be copied from one place to another. The inclusion or addition of one folder in that process would be child's play.

And no, no need for changes to source code. At all. The game code would just need to check that folder for custom flags.

I happily accept that you think this idea would be hard to implement but the reality is that it wouldn't be.

3 minutes ago, Nick said:

Every program is installed by an installer. It doesn't just magically appear on your machine. At the very least it has to be copied from one place to another. The inclusion or addition of one folder in that process would be child's play.

And no, no need for changes to source code. At all. The game code would just need to check that folder for custom flags.

I happily accept that you think this idea would be hard to implement but the reality is that it wouldn't be.

Well, I don't know any way to do this in the unreal engine, where on I am mostly into programming with Blueprints and not C++. So in C++ there most likely be a way to do such.

Edited by Xasu

19 hours ago, Litho said:

Howdy! 

It would be really neat if we could have a custom flag in game. Many games have done this in the past. Either as a game feature or a Mod function.

A simple graphic added to a directory in game or uploaded to the game itself. Have a specific format and size as requirements.

The flag could have a designated spot on the buggy/ships/base/suit. By default there could be some basic or simple flags. Not sure how easy it would be to get it to work multiplayer, but that would be cool. An ability to "plant" the flag would also be super sweet (think I saw we could,  but may have been another game lol)

Even expanded for when/if theres a persistent server version would be a "team" or "crew" flag that would be assigned to all in that crew to temporarily override the personal flag.

It would be a masterpiece !!! nice idea!!! I'd love the flag of my country on my space suit !!!

On December 15, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Litho said:

Howdy! 

I like this idea, hope it's added