Zander

What motivates you to keep exploring?

Hey everyone,

Huge fan of the game and System Era. Any company that understands the fans who play all the time understand the game the best has my vote.

I'm interested to know what keeps you all going? At this time we are all in an EA build and the game is fresh and new. We can build and explore relatively easily because the game is shallow at this point compared to where it will be over the coming months and years. So why do you keep going at it? What gets you guys and gals to keep exploring and building? What are you hoping to get out of this? What in this world of spacemen and Matter Manipulators tickles your fancy and makes you want to explore!?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Love,

Zander

Edited by Zander

For me it's the same concept of Terraria. JUST KEEP DIGGING JUST KEEP DIGGING! GOTTA EXPLORE MORE!

It's funny you ask, when playing I get hankerings for other games.. then 12 hours later I get a nasty look when I goto bed.

I guess the game is just involving.. and that's a good thing, because you don't notice the grind.  I think people dislike games when they notice they're just grinding along.

As I am a bit biased, being a mod, and have been following the game for almost a year now I just keep finding things! Also I am building up in anticipation for future content. If you havent seen it check out the road map, https://trello.com/b/UoZgKrd3/astroneer-road-map-planning . Also there are a TON of Easter eggs in the game. Some I have seen people post and A LOT i have yet to see anyone mention. 

Part of it is from the size of the planets and the fact the horizon is so near. The curvature of the surface means that getting to the top of even a small hill can reveal something completely new.

25 minutes ago, Payno_attention said:

As I am a bit biased, being a mod, and have been following the game for almost a year now I just keep finding things! Also I am building up in anticipation for future content. If you havent seen it check out the road map, https://trello.com/b/UoZgKrd3/astroneer-road-map-planning . Also there are a TON of Easter eggs in the game. Some I have seen people post and A LOT i have yet to see anyone mention. 

How "easter eggy" are these easter eggs?

because I've seen a lot of cool things, but not worth mentioning

Edited by koondad

2 minutes ago, koondad said:

How "easter eggy" are these easter eggs?

A few fun things to use to test out game physics, a few pieces of art that the devs put in, a bunch of fun little discoveries as well as some things to collect for future content. 

Just now, Payno_attention said:

A few fun things to use to test out game physics, a few pieces of art that the devs put in, a bunch of fun little discoveries as well as some things to collect for future content. 

so in response the the thread, This ^

welp, off to go exploring again!

If I am being honest. I have not done much off the starter planet yet bar landing on all of the planets just to test loading. And have barely started digging deep and going deep into the planet. A friend and I have been playtesting the multiplayer in the experimental version on Steam. And we have suffered a number of corruptions and have restarted many times already. I can get a fully operational space faring base up in about 1hr now.

But to your point. Exploring will be driven by new content moving forward. This is why I am taking my time advancing in the game currently, opting to take detailed notes and video along a slow progression.. 

I began playing yesterday, and have so far put in somewhere around the range of 5-10 hours, so my perspective is basically an initial impression of the game. I have not built any vehicles or spacecraft, as aluminium and copper have proven very rare, and harvesting stuff for tethers takes up a lot of time (see grind, and not exploration, unfortunatly). The game seems to make a point of confining you to an area unless you work for it. That challenge does sort of motivate exploration in and of it self. You can't just walk to the hill and expect to survive. So the inherent "difficulty" does sort of motivate exploration.

The things I find interesting and motivational in terms of exploration are: 

- Simply seeing what the world offers in terms of look and feel. As with Minecraft, this depends on the variety of generated terrain. It has to be aesthetically pleasing more often than not, to remain rewarding. So far, the terrain/world generator is okay. Technically, it is amazing, but not aesthetically. It does the job, but I don't really see much depth in it. 

- Discovering things I can use. I feel this is the more important factor for the game's success (or failure). The sense of progression is what makes me want to keep exploring. But it has to add up to something.

Cheers. The game definitely has me intrigued. :)

Tried to dig throuh planet today. Got 88 energy sticks (forgot how they called - i'm playing with russian language). Almost did it))) At least was half way there - at some point gravity become really low, then my vertical shaft become horizontal and then I started to fall... Up. Found some astromium there. Died on my way up to the other side of the planet - ran out of sticks:(

This process kept me buzi for couple of hours (at first i tried to build it normally - with path to go up and down but them got bored and started to dig strait downABAFF34DE47C52371E2277FC60D45D7ADE3D21AC)

2 hours ago, Payno_attention said:

I found a zebra print-ish marble! Still looking for more!