Dragonphire

Research Progression instead of random.

There is a good setup for this, but instead the recipes are provided at random. For example, there is this theme of 1 point item, 2 point item, etc. a 1 point item fits on just about any slot including your backpack. a 2 point item can only be fit to a base node or vehicle node, etc. Additionally, many items have a 1 point and 2 point version of themselves. Example, solar panels. However, there is another layer of temporary item, small permanent and large permanent.  Example, power cell, small battery and large battery.

That probably confused the issue but it's a bit of a let down when i do research and discover a power cell when i already have a reusable battery. It doesn't matter that the power cell is easier to make, since i am not likely to need it.

i know that the game is kind of in fast mode for testing range, but i would enjoy a progression of items from cheap temporary to more efficient to high capacity in a reliable fashion.

But isnt that the nature of exploring. If you were just searching random wreckage etc you wouldn't get it in a set order. i think you shouldnt get machine research from plants, only from wrecks. The surprise element is better in my opinion. The game is about the joy of discovery, a feeling that wouldnt be there(especially in multiplayer) if discovering something unique or new was just down to hours played. If every player has the opportunity to discover something new thats useful to the group thats a cool thing, instead of the guy who has the most time being first to everything.

Yes, and what about finding unique and or randomly generated stuff like modified batteries for efficiency or capacity or bigger solar panels that you cant craft but makes your base feel more individual, oh and maybe using tethers to connect stuff like wires, from a solar panel sitting on the ground to a base

I think making the research progression non-random would be a mistake, unless the user is left with a choice in a vast set of tech trees or something similar. The way I see it, the game is supposed to be unique through randomization. Setting the research path in stone would subtract from that. 

My few cents, anyway.

I like the randomness currently as it makes things different each time but perhaps as things continue on...

19 hours ago, xeche said:

I think making the research progression non-random would be a mistake, unless the user is left with a choice in a vast set of tech trees or something similar. The way I see it, the game is supposed to be unique through randomization. Setting the research path in stone would subtract from that. 

My few cents, anyway.

I would vastly prefer a tech tree over the current system. However, I'm happy to wait until there's enough content to fill a tech tree out, because at the moment there isn't enough differentiation between the different base styles. It's basically coal or wind, trade platform+fuel condenser or exhaustive mining, et cetera. There needs to be more significant differences in the direction you take your base. I know that eventually we'll get more stuff to build, so until then I'm totally fine with random research unlocks. But again, in the future, I think the game will be much more rewarding with a tech tree.

i think that its because the power cells provide you with more power per slot than a battery...so a battery is not necessarily an upgrade to power cells....also power cells are easier to craft requiring only compound which is more frequent so if you find yourself needing extra power and no power nearby you can craft a power cell for a temporary boost

It's just that with the current content most of the time you are not going to need it, we just have to wait at this moment to see how content is developed

39 minutes ago, OzZ said:

i think that its because the power cells provide you with more power per slot than a battery...so a battery is not necessarily an upgrade to power cells....also power cells are easier to craft requiring only compound which is more frequent so if you find yourself needing extra power and no power nearby you can craft a power cell for a temporary boost

It's just that with the current content most of the time you are not going to need it, we just have to wait at this moment to see how content is developed

Yeah, so far every starting planet I've landed on has had an abundance of power and oxygen wells/deposits scattered about. If they were more scarce I think power cells would be a better investment, but right now you can walk in a random direction and be almost certain to find a good smattering of power/oxygen on the surface, and even more often underground.

Resource scarcity will likely be one of the big factors in varying difficulty of the game as it is developed. I imagine each difficulty setting will simply need to alter some coefficient in the procedural algorithm dictating the abundance of resources in general, or more probably individual coefficients for each resource type, so I don't see varying degrees of scarcity being too much of an issue in terms of development. Kinda just depends on how soon the devs want to address the issue.

On 12/20/2016 at 9:37 PM, blorgon said:

Resource scarcity will likely be one of the big factors in varying difficulty of the game as it is developed. I imagine each difficulty setting will simply need to alter some coefficient in the procedural algorithm dictating the abundance of resources in general, or more probably individual coefficients for each resource type, so I don't see varying degrees of scarcity being too much of an issue in terms of development. Kinda just depends on how soon the devs want to address the issue.

that is if they implement a difficulty setting in the game. I would highly encourage this because some players don't like the long resource grinds, they just want to explore the game freely.

while other players (like myself) enjoys this challenge because it allows focusing more on the different contents of the game other than exploring and makes it worthwhile

my question is would a difficulty setting that removes oxygen and power resources spawning worthwhile?

Everyone has made valid points, i'm not here to say anyone is wrong. I personally think that too much random isn't rewarding. And the research path wouldn't be set since you still have to find the research items and the order you find them would be random. So research in this regard is still random, but just not doubly random with a random item inside. I think someone even mentioned the research be related to the type of item found, i.e. bio vs tech.

The first time i played and learned power cell, crafted it and used it, i was disappointed. compound is common, lithium is rare. i learned a common recipe after i already knew a rare one. by then i already had a good power source at my base so it was better for me to use the compound to make tethers which provided oxygen and power. And it's the randomness that kind of compounds it, since i know there were other recipes i could have learned and were probably better. So i did all that exploring and came up with nothing useful.

And progression can be based on resource used in the recipe. Why wouldn't i start with a compound recipe instead of a lithium recipe when one is a more common resource? it's like starting the game knowing how to use jet fuel but later learning how to pedal a bike. the values of a power cell can be changed, it can provide less power if the devs wanted. the importance in my point is that the recipe is for a temporary item that uses an abundant and common resource, which is way more useful when you first start out than a battery.

what if the research is still random but you will only discover recipes for which you have the prerequisites? This would be similar to a tech tree, but say in the "chemical" tree you start with power cells, then on to batteries and then to large batteries. in this case, when i popped open a research object, i would have to know the power cell recipe first in order to learn the battery recipe, in which case if i randomly rolled battery before i knew power cell, i would simply get a resource (like lithium, which in itself could be a hint at what that type of research item gives).