Sign in to follow this  
Quasardian

Water -> Rivers -> Lakes -> Underwater Mining -> Flowing Rivers (from mountains) -> Changing throughout seasons -> affecting the Nature (like trees and animals around it) -> (hunting seasons?)

Water -> Rivers -> Lakes -> Underwater Mining -> Flowing Rivers (from mountains) -> Changing throughout seasons -> affecting the Nature (like trees and animals around it) -> (hunting seasons?)

Well see how many of those steps are actually doable (in order.?).

Thanks for the amazing game!

Edited by Quasardian

I think in one of the live streams I remember hearing that water is a really difficult thing. Think it was the Nov 22nd stream.

Just now, Litho said:

I think in one of the live streams I remember hearing that water is a really difficult thing. Think it was the Nov 22nd stream.

I can understand that, water is always difficult.
But still it would be awesome if they can figure it out, it's just an idea :)

water wouldn't be such a big problem, but volumetric water that has realistic physics, is one if the hardest things to do in a video game (this is why it's so extremely rare in games)

It also consumes a LOT of performance when it's not done correctly and even if it's done corectly, it still consumes a lot of resources

8 hours ago, Quasardian said:

Well see how many of those steps are actually doable (in order.?).

Thanks for the amazing game!

HOLY FLORKING SHNIT! Maggie! that's quite the chain so let me clarify this Water features you want Flowing water to form rivers & Lakes Oceans and ponds. this is Doable IF the dev's handle water like Minecraft & like Ubisoft did in From Dust now to do this Ocean biomes will need to both exist as a stable area of water that nether empties nor overflows to prevent the player from draining the sea into a cave & Flooding the cave system out.

To do this would be tricky but doable by designation to get a flowing river Water only needs to be a liquid Unreal Engine Does ID liquid volume objects now all you need is a spring source that produces Water liquid objects constantly and then an algorithm that plots a course to the nearest Ocean Biome. THIS is where the problem lies cause what IF you land in an ocean? or what IF you land in a River? and so fourth the games generation would have to render ALL landing zones on a planet as NO LIQUID ZONES to solve that problem but at the same time this limits the number of spawn zones on a planet because of the Ocean I'm ok with that Personally.

next the changing seasons I love that Idea to death but it makes moving difficult in Winter due to snow build up again not a problem for me as I'm used to cold weather life.

Lastly Hunting seasons? why? your on an Alien planet if and When they add life forms your not going to need to wait for specific times to hunt them who's going to stop you the Space Police? Breeding & Migration seasons make more sense than hunting seasons and that's all still just to make the game more Realistic but to me much more fun.

Now some planets would have special exceptions clearly I mean an Arid Planet has no surface water and is too hot for Ice to form but what if really deep in caves theirs tiny pools of liquid water? or an Irradiated Planet it could have oceans & the like although that water would be toxic and undrinkable in addition to having no life forms due to high levels of toxins in the planetary biosphere.

again all this is possible but the dev's should take a look at other games to see how they talked the same issues these bigger companies came across and solved for their games.

I would like to see a basic weather simulator rather than set seasons in order to enable more realistic terraforming, like making a mountain near one's base to make a wind shadow or some system to encourage precipitation or import water to increase humidity and alter weather that way.

22 hours ago, Torkkar said:

prevent the player from draining the sea into a cave & Flooding the cave system out.
-> First thing I would do, don't take the fun away
(if you fuck up your planet you need to go to another one)

render ALL landing zones on a planet as NO LIQUID ZONES to solve that problem
-> I wouldn't mind a game where you start of landing in the ocean. Space is harsh if you land in an ocean, that's it new game.

Lastly Hunting seasons? why?
-> I meant like in some seasons you aren't able to hunt due to the cold (or dust Idk), and thus you aren't able to get food.
(maybe they should put a food mechanic in first)

Let's hope,

and thanks for the feedback

Well this whole matter is kinda tricky as if there is life in a planet there must be water and if there is rain there must be bodies of water as those are a result of rain. Perhaps if they disable the tool while near water with some scientific excuse nobody would make the water even move + add some rain water building or an aquifer water pump.

Anyways all this stuff might not be added until beta i guess.

Meanwhile, if they add life, they could make a water pump building + enable rain so youll never actually see water but itll still be kinda realistic, not too much tho.

14 hours ago, Quasardian said:

Let's hope,

and thanks for the feedback

no problem however I'm not limiting the fun do you realize the processing power that would be eaten up by draining a surface ocean into a cave system? flow liquid Objects F.L.O.'s are just processing nightmares if unchecked hence the reason for Minecraft's 9 block limit but we do want the spring sources to go long distances which is why the Sea needs to Eat excess water and also needs to be strictly contained to begin with just go play From Dust by Ubisoft for a few hours and you'll hit on a water level that shows the Processing issues of over flooding or releasing an oceans worth of water it almost killed my 4 3.0Ghz processors, so limiting oceans is a move to preserve Hardware and over heating issues not to limit the fun.

as for Rendering the landing zones as non water zones N.W.Z.'s that's designed to be more realistic cause Space suits are designed to do 2 things be Gas Tight and to Sink however they can't go very deep without failing about 30meters if that before they build up enough pressure to pop a seal & flood. So landing in an ocean from the start is just pure death why have a start like that? & force the player to restart multiple times to get a land based starting zone? its easyer to implament N.W.Z. Landing sites.

and Hunting seasons now that you explain that better I get it you want Pray Dynamics so they move from place to place and weather permitting you can hunt for them I see that's what you wanted & not the Legal time to kill this thing or that thing.