SES_joe

"Patch 189" - June 16th, 2017

48 posts in this topic

189.thumb.png.1172183ccabd9097fbad17c0106bc3e1.png

Astroneer's Pre-Alpha Early Access version has just been updated to 0.3.10189.0 (Patch "189")

Steam 'Early Access' users will receive this update immediately. 
Xbox 'Play Anywhere' players can expect this patch to hit their consoles or Windows 10 machines in the next 48 hours.

This small patch focuses on fixing some longstanding issues while the team works on prototyping items in our "Immediate Priorities" section of the roadmap. Patch notes will now also include a section for tracking in-progress tasks, to keep you updated on things that are coming down the pipeline.

As always, the team would like to thank everyone supporting Astroneer in early access, especially for sharing bugs, inspiration, stories, videos, and streams with us and the rest of our amazing community.

UPDATES

You can find these updates in 189, the current build of the game.

• [AS-1082] - Implemented raw logging for join errors in multiplayer games
  • [AS-1083] - Implemented player-facing messages for join errors in multiplayer games

Multiplayer joining and error logging is still a work in progress, but at the very least you can now troubleshoot when things do go wrong.

• [AS-1159] - Rover center of gravity has been lowered, improving handling

Rovers still have a way to go, but the center of gravity change will help them to stay a little bit lower to the ground when traversing planets.

Thrusters are still in the experimental stage, and will likely play a much bigger role when modularity is further along (see below for more details) but for now, use their upgraded thrust at your own peril, or enjoyment ;)

• Sprint can now be toggled on the Xbox GamePad by pressing the left thumbstick

No more broken thumbs. This is also part of the overall control and interaction refactor on the roadmap

FIXES

The following bugs are now fixed. Thank you to everyone in the community who has reported and shared details with us on these issues.

• [AS-1152] - Fixed an issue where players became stuck inside the Habitat

This longtime bug should now never happen again.

PROTOTYPING

The following major feature prototypes are going on during development, but are not included in this release

• Gamepad controls - handedness input
  • Gamepad controls - proximity selection
  • Modularity - vehicle modularity system
  • Terrain 2.0 - terrain lookdev exploration / proof of concept
  • Research - progression mechanics
  • Customization - expanding Astroneer suit options

The team is working diligently on a bunch of our core mechanics right now, as well as some under the hood updates to make the game more stable and efficient. In our newest vlog (SES Vlog 004) you can get a glimpse into how vehicle modularity is coming along, as well as a look at a new Astroneer suit in engine.

What you might not see in this list is the highly anticipated fix to floating rovers and items. We are working on this, but the fix didn't make this patch due to complications resulting from an engine upgrade. We will update with more information as soon as we have a solid date.

UPDATE: WE ARE AWARE OF SOUND NOT WORKING FOR XBOX/WIN 10. The team is currently working on a fix. This issue has already been resolved on Steam. Apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused. 

Some users are having troubles on xbox one with no sound in the game. The game has no sound at all, music, sfxs, and etc. Even with reset of console no luck. Any possible explanation or update to fix it? Or even reports of other users having problems? 

15 minutes ago, Giuseppe Nicita said:

update in progress on windows 10 store :P 1,34GB

You're redownloading the whole game there...that's weird.

was there a second update I had 2 with in the last 30 min.

The game is coming along nicely. Thank you for your hard work and dedication!

Posted (edited)

49 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

You're redownloading the whole game there...that's weird.

yes.. I don't understand , the game and save game work regularly,  this on Windows 10 Store.

Edited by Giuseppe Nicita

I have problem with save game, Im on the moon and and not always save correctly...

2 hours ago, Jake Pflum said:

Some users are having troubles on xbox one with no sound in the game. The game has no sound at all, music, sfxs, and etc. Even with reset of console no luck. Any possible explanation or update to fix it? Or even reports of other users having problems? 

The development Team is now addressing the issue <3

Great to see an increase in updates for this amazing game! I am also looking forward to seeing the end results of the prototypes making their way to us all :)

My look at Patch 189

Damnit joe it's a secret 😂

A sprint lock for us lowly keyboard+mouse Astroneers would be very welcome too.  :)

Hmmm, Steam just downloaded version 190.  Quick fix release?

Yep! A hotfix pushed to fix sound on PC. Xbox will take a lil time to pass certification.

Posted (edited)

The question begs to be asked.  How did the no sound update pass certification?

Edited by christ93

Because the interns who actually do the certifying are wearing earbuds, listening to Despacito (according to Billboard) xD

The actually could serve as an interesting "teaching point" imho for the gaming community at large to understand a little about the process of certification as a whole, and maybe get a glimpse at how indeed widespread bugs actually make their way into games (and past the certification process in general). I'm not interested in SE giving any blow-by-blow account of how this particular bug made its way into the code, or somehow got accidentally "enabled" by either trying to add, delete, or fix something else in the code. I'm sure it's much more complicated than I would ever imagine and even if offered an explanation I probably wouldn't be able to grasp most of it. Plus, I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons why it's not in any studio's best interest to share all the intimate details of any particular bug along with all the who's, what's, and wherefore's etc to go along with it. Hope all that mumbo jumbo made sense.

No, what I would like to see instead (since we have a bit of a unique opportunity here, with a great group of Devs who are willing to discuss some interesting topics related to the "game development" process as a whole) is to have maybe one or a few of them (the more the merrier!) take up a little discussion of how "in general terms" (and please keep it fairly easy for the non-technical folks like me) how a far-sweeping bug like "no audio" in a game (just an example because I'd think that would be hard not to notice lol, but doesn't need to be the example used) does in fact make it out of the hands of a Dev team first of all, (because as a gamer my first reaction while not harsh is "y'all did play it, didn't you?" :P:P:P ) and secondly how it passes certification (idk maybe they DO just play it with their earbuds on but wow, that's really poor QC on the part of a cert team :o lol :P ). So yeah, it's something I've often wondered about and I'm sure others have too when very large (and what one would think are "very obvious") bugs get past everyone and make it into an update. If some of the folks from SE could maybe talk about this (again, in general terms) I think a lot of people would find that very enlightening, I know I sure would👍 Ok I really did butcher that sentence with all the parentheses so I'm going to write it out now without them, maybe that will make more sense, so here's the repeat: No, what I would like to see instead is to have maybe one or a few of them take up a little discussion of how "in general terms" a far-sweeping bug like "no audio" in a game does in fact make it out of the hands of a Dev team first of all, and secondly how it passes certification. There, that's the "condensed" version, better I think👍

Again, thanks to the Devs for an amazing game and for all their continued hard work! :D

57 minutes ago, Shadow Echo said:

take up a little discussion of how "in general terms" (and please keep it fairly easy for the non-technical folks like me) how a far-sweeping bug like "no audio" in a game (just an example because I'd think that would be hard not to notice lol, but doesn't need to be the example used) does in fact make it out of the hands of a Dev team first of all

It could be that some file (such as a configuration file) that got changed didn't get pushed to Steam and Xbox.

So maybe it got tested, but didn't get pushed out properly.

It could also be that the build that was tested wasn't pushed out, but accidentally a build that wasn't tested got pushed out.

If they are using automated testing, maybe the automated testing didn't have a test for sound, and there wasn't a play test.

1 hour ago, Shadow Echo said:

and secondly how it passes certification

If you are talking about Steam and Microsoft's certification processes - they most assuredly use automation. The volume of software and games they have to certify is too much for manual certification. So the automation has to catch the problems.

In any case, that's an interesting Vlog they posted - we're getting lego-like modules in the future? That's pretty cool.

As far as "Terrain 2.0" - hopefully I'm not too late with this suggestion, but I'd like to see what the terrain looks like with smooth shading rather than the current flat shading. There's a lot of smooth shading going on in Astroneer, but oddly the terrain doesn't have it, and that makes it look slightly out of place IMO.

1 hour ago, CobraA1 said:

As far as "Terrain 2.0" - hopefully I'm not too late with this suggestion, but I'd like to see what the terrain looks like with smooth shading rather than the current flat shading. There's a lot of smooth shading going on in Astroneer, but oddly the terrain doesn't have it, and that makes it look slightly out of place IMO.

What's the difference between flat shading and smooth shading?

Lowering the rovers' centre of gravity has certainly helped, now much less likely to flip over :). The vehicle modularity looks really cool, can't wait for that. Thanks for the continued regular releases.

4 hours ago, FACR Dwarfy said:

What's the difference between flat shading and smooth shading?

Flat on the left, smooth on the right:

http://www.videotutorialsrock.com/opengl_tutorial/lighting/spheres.png

Slow going. Must be working on a lot of internals they cant push out just yet.

1 hour ago, Frigidman said:

Slow going. Must be working on a lot of internals they cant push out just yet.

Well, they're working on a modular system for vehicles and Terrain 2.0. Both of those are major internal changes.

Thanks for getting that audio fix out to Xbox One (so I assume for Win10 users as well, seeing as they're tied together) so fast! Great job as always, and great game! Keep up the great work team! :D 👍

4 hours ago, CobraA1 said:

Flat on the left, smooth on the right:

http://www.videotutorialsrock.com/opengl_tutorial/lighting/spheres.png

tbh, I prefer flat (the left one)