Mindstormer

[Merged] FPS Drop Reports

Thanks guys. The lag got progressively worse as I played, which lead me to belive it was due to landscape, I was also trying to make a grid of tethers on my home planet to be able to breath anywhere, this made it so I could see almost all of the land around me at all times on that planet, which has I'm sure was a primary reason. 

My friend also joined me, and it seems that Co op is really taxing in your fps as well, no matter who hosted, the fps for them just dropped, but that's a whole other issue. 

Love this game, and with some fixing it'll be amazing, I look forward to sticking around. 

I'm having really bad frame rate issues (on Xbox one) worked fine but as I've started to build up my Base the frame rate has dropped something rotten  and is making the game unplayable.. also I'm having to re sort my tethers out and floating items on my back pack lol.

Any ideas on the frame rate issue mainly.

Honestly as far as frame rate goes, until they patch the game on console just keep your base relatively small and only build the bare necessities and stay away from using vehicles because those will tank your fps. Also if you want to build a  lot of additions to your base, build a habitat and move it decently far away from your original base and add to that.

Every time I enter the rover or the rover collides with anything my fps drops to an unplayable rate. This effects menus and seems to lock the vehicle in drive until the game catches up with itself. Generally a 30-40 second lag, sometimes back to back. Game recording can be added.

Can you in future just check the forum first. This is a known issue. Its in the known issues thread and there are 100 other people complaining about it. We need to keep this forum clean so new issues can be seen by the game developers :) The next few patches will address the FPS issues since its the largest issue right now. You will be able to play better soon :) Have fun

Been loving this game.. 

I have noticed that when you put an hour or more into a world more and more issues start popping up. 

1. FPS drops consistently and sometimes never comes back.( specially after an hour or more on one world)

2. Tethers and vehicles disappear permanently.

3. Falling through the ground when you clipping a wall.

4. Objects getting stuck in the smelter. Causing the smelter to be unusable.( permanently)

5. When using the tool I've noticed that the sensitivity level on it is way too high and hard to control, let alone be accurate with it. (May be an option for users sensitivity)

6. Picking up objects are very clunky and sometimes hard to control when trying to get point to point. Would like to control the sensitivity on that too.

7. I don't know if it's a bug but it's hard to control the over-the-shoulder camera on the character causing awkward camera angles.

With all that said, it was worth every penny to be part of this preview program and I cannot wait to watch this game grow and mature.

Thank you!

Windows 10 PC

Steam

Been playing on one save file for about 3-4 hours total so far and it seems as though the game keeps everything I find in its "memory" as I explore. At first there is not much vegetation around me but as I move around the planet and more plants pop in, it all seems to sit there on screen or something and is what I believe is causing the major FPS lag. I have gone from steady 60fps on a fresh save file to less than 25 FPS on this 3-4 hour save file. Not sure if this is classified as a bug but rather might be a rendering/graphics issue with the game that could be worked on.

AstrRenders1.jpg

yes i had the same issue when i visited every planet in one play session..at first i thought that maybe the tether are messing with my fps but once i removed them it still ran at 20 fps where at the start i got 60 fps...

Edited by OzZ

Hello dear friends,

Since yesterday at night until this morning I could play this game decently, without a lot of drops in FPS. Unfortunately, I came to my house now and decided to play and after some minutes the game started lagging when I moved my character in any direction.

I am using the following setup:

AMD 8320E

GTS 450

8GB RAM

Windows 7

Beta branch

I had a 3 buggy train hitched to a printer on one end, and to a smelter on the other end. My framerate dropped to 0 for about 2 seconds every 5-10 seconds until I decoupled one of the ends (the one hooked up to the smelter as it happens). Once I disconnected framerate went back to normal.

I already read here in the forum that there are problems of framerate but many are saying that they are the tethers and with me this does not apply.

Whenever I start a new game (I did it more than 8 times) after about 1 - 2 hours of play my framerate drops from 60 to around 30 and after a longer period it drops to 15.

I've tried everything including deleting all tethers from my game, this has resulted in a gain of around 5 fps but from 15 has been to 20 so I believe there are many other factors that are affecting the performance.

Note 1: what I said I tested in builds for 0.2.90, 0.2.93, 0.2.97 and 0.2.100

Note 2: in build 0.2.100 I did not see any improvements in the tethers, deleting them still results in a gain of approximately 5 fps as before, I also did not notice any improvement in perfomance.

Note 3: sorry my bad English: D

Pc specs:

Core i5 3550
GTX 960
8gb ddr3
Windows 10 x64

This issue is going on with the game on my xbox aswell. But i think its when you built the most of the base. I removed all the tethers and gained maby 5 frames from it but the game is almost unplayable. And it is unplayable when a friend joins in at that point, now im having so much fun with the game so i think ive restarted the game maby 10 times already?

if you are on steam you can go to the beta builds they constantly fix tether and frame rate issues i fixed my frame rate. You can access beta via steam>library>properties>Beta Then sign up for the beta build.

So i have tried few things to pinpoint the fps dropping issue.

First thing heres my specs

Prosessor: Intel Core i7 4790k

Graphics card: Gtx 970

Ram: 16Gb hyperX 

Motherboard: Asus z97 pro gamer

Windows 7 ultimate 64

(Im using the latest stable build). STEAM version.

The issue most people have with the game is when playing for about 50 min the game starts lagging and fps starts dropping slowly.

So i tried to figure out what it is that is causing this issue and ive tried a couple of things.

1. Created a new game played normally explored  and expanded my base game start dropping frames in 50 min from 60 slowly to 30.

2. Created a new game played normally but this time did not place any tethers same thing happened 50 min and started dropping frames.

3. Created a new game played normally and this time did not make any vehicles same thing ^

4. Created a new game but this time did not build anything just explored on foot and tried to survive finding oxygen and building tanks from titanium i found on ships and still started to drop frames in 50 min.

5. Created a new game and did nothing just let my player idle in the cabin for 2 hours did not drop a single frame.

So it must have something to do with the exploring and i noticed the memory usage in  task manager just keeps climbing higher and higher even if im not exploring.

It does not even help if i load the game it still has low fps so maybe it keeps everything loaded in memory(i dont know how these things work i just play games).

I also tryed to restart my computer and install the game again and then use the save game and nothing worked.

I Hope this helps to pinpoint the problem.

Ps. if anyone has the time to test these things in the beta build please do so it might help the devs.

Edited by Ninonakki

3 minutes ago, AkoSenpai said:

if you are on steam you can go to the beta builds they constantly fix tether and frame rate issues i fixed my frame rate. You can access beta via steam>library>properties>Beta Then sign up for the beta build.

Yes, I'm already in the beta, but like I said, I did not get any perfomance improvement in the last build now 0.2.100.

For me it remains unplayable

6 minutes ago, Ninonakki said:

So i have tried few things to pinpoint the fps dropping issue.

First thing heres my specs

Prosessor: Intel Core i7 4790k

Graphics card: Gtx 970

Ram: 16Gb hyperX 

Motherboard: Asus z97 pro gamer

Windows 7 ultimate 64

(Im using the latest stable build). STEAM version.

The issue most people have with the game is when playing for about 50 min the game starts lagging and fps starts dropping slowly.

So i tried to figure out what it is that is causing this issue and ive tried a couple of things.

1. Created a new game played normally explored  and expanded my base game start dropping frames in 50 min from 60 slowly to 30.

2. Created a new game played normally but this time did not place any tethers same thing happened 50 min and started dropping frames.

3. Created a new game played normally and this time did not make any vehicles same thing ^

4. Created a new game but this time did not build anything just explored on foot and tried to survive finding oxygen and building tanks from titanium i found on ships and still started to drop frames in 50 min.

5. Created a new game and did nothing just let my player idle in the cabin for 2 hours did not drop a single frame.

So it must have something to do with the exploring and i noticed the memory usage in  task manager just keeps climbing higher and higher even if im not exploring.

It does not even help if i load the game it still has low fps so maybe it keeps everything loaded in memory(i dont know how these things work i just play games).

I also tryed to restart my computer and install the game again and then use the save game and nothing worked.

I Hope this helps to pinpoint the problem.

Ps. if anyone has the time to test these things in the beta build please do so it might help the devs.

I am fairly sure the framerate drop is linked to what is being rendered in the world. The game is keeping caves and tunnels you have explored rendered, as well as every object you create, harvest, knock over, and move. So as you play, more and more of this world is being rendered at once, which puts major stress on your computer's resources.

4 minutes ago, MarcusVKS said:

Yes, I'm already in the beta, but like I said, I did not get any perfomance improvement in the last build now 0.2.100.

For me it remains unplayable

Have you been playing CO-OP or had people join your game as you will lose about half your framerate

Just now, AkoSenpai said:

Have you been playing CO-OP or had people join your game as you will lose about half your framerate

I play alone, but the only time I played co-op with a friend I did not notice bigger frame drop than usual

1 minute ago, MarcusVKS said:

I play alone, but the only time I played co-op with a friend I did not notice bigger frame drop than usual

when i play solo my game play after a few hours is like 35-45 but what i have been doing is limiting how big my actual base is and picking up tether after exploring .

3 minutes ago, AkoSenpai said:

when i play solo my game play after a few hours is like 35-45 but what i have been doing is limiting how big my actual base is and picking up tether after exploring .

In the best of hypotheses in a very long period of gameplay controlling the size of the base and removing nether I can play with 25 fps is not so bad but still it is sad to have to play controlling things. 
It's sad because you start a new game with more than 60fps it's all so fluid and out of nowhere it starts to fall

I've been playing this save file for about 9hours now and I've placed like 30-40 tethers near me.

It was fluent 30-60 fps BEFORE I built my trucks (with storages on them). After I finished them the game kept lagging like hell. One frame every 4 seconds (believe me, I counted).

I'm playing the beta version.

I can't keep playing this save if it continues to lag like this

Specs:

Spoiler

Intel i5-4460 @3.20GHz

8GB RAM

Win 7 64bit

AMD Radeon R9 200 Series