Theta 1C Orionis

Make occupied vehicle bays ineligible for landing

Make occupied Vehicle Bays ineligible for space vehicle landings.  Either don't show them from orbit, or show them "grayed out" (but necessarily actually using gray.)

Actually, I'd suggest this also for occupied "natural" non-Vehicle Bay landing points.

I'm trying to do two things with this: (1) I'm trying to avoid accidentally stacking shuttles on rovers or other shuttles, and (2) I'm trying to make bases with multiple Vehicle Bays more functional.

They could easily fix this by instead of having 'vehicle bays', they make a 'launch platform' where it can only accept air vehicles, that way it separates both classes of vehicles and its also much easier to determine if one is occupied or free.

I'd like to see both suggestions implemented.

However, the basic problem is addressed by the first suggestion only, because "launch pads" alone do not solve the issue of occupied natural landing sites.

Launch pads would be a nice addition. But if vehicle bays were not also landing sites, then it would be possible to build a spacecraft, launch it, and have no way of returning to the place where you started from, unless you thought of putting down a launch pad (and had it researched already) before you launched.

Simple solution is if a landing sight is occupied the vehicle just lands directly in the adjacent space further away from the platform.....

I like all the Ideas in this post and Preach it Brotha's!

26 minutes ago, KeeblerOrc said:

Simple solution is if a landing sight is occupied the vehicle just lands directly in the adjacent space further away from the platform.....

That solution is not simple, because this adjacent space could be occupied by other stuff, like a rover that is parked there, or another platform.

2 minutes ago, Marck said:

That solution is not simple, because this adjacent space could be occupied by other stuff, like a rover that is parked there, or another platform.

Well that will make those dirty rotten players learn where to park their vehicles.....

First and foremost anything is better than nothing and currently we have nothing.... so pick your battles.  My Opinion... Split Vehicle bay into  land and Space Platforms and make Space landing Pads where they can have additional pads added adjacent to several positions of the original pad.

Besides I don't think adding stacking positions is much more than a position check and if yes move item over one position.... its not rocket science.... Ha Ha!

The suggestion in the opening post of this thread already is a simple and elegant solution, in my opinion. I see no need to look for an alternative solution.

On 6/12/2017 at 11:55 PM, Marck said:

The solution is actually remarkably simple. Let the launch pad build Spaceships. Make it so each launchpad does one of these things:

1. Only one specific spaceship can land on it. Good for SP, not so much for MP
  2. There could be 2 storage platforms to either side where it moves spaceships that have landed, providing room for another one (This would make the module rather big, but we're talking spaceships, it's going to be big)
  3. Some other third thing

6 minutes ago, [TS]Infernal Crusader said:

1. Only one specific spaceship can land on it. Good for SP, not so much for MP

That's basically what the suggestion in the original post already does with vehicle bays. And with multiplayer, it should be possible to have one of the other players free up an occupied landing site, if needed, or meet you at and give you (or your load) a ride from an alternative landing site.

With launch pads as an optional addition, you can set up additional landing sites which addresses the multiplayer case in an even more convenient way. (However, when thinking about it, I do like the resulting multiplayer gameplay better when there are no additional launch pads, and occupied sites are just unavailable for landing.)

With the original suggestion, there's not any need for 2., 3., or whatever complicated functionality for other special cases. That's what I'd call a simple solution.

Last but not least, the other suggestions in this thread do not at all address the issue of occupied natural landing sites.

If a natural landing site is occupied by a rover or other vehicle, I think it should simply be moved out of the way. Just, push it to the side. If that means it ends up underground or something, so be it. Or just launch the damn thing into the air. It'll come back down eventually.

5 minutes ago, [TS]Infernal Crusader said:

If a natural landing site is occupied by a rover or other vehicle, I think it should simply be moved out of the way. Just, push it to the side. If that means it ends up underground or something, so be it. Or just launch the damn thing into the air. It'll come back down eventually.

Do you actually favor this over the solution suggested in the original post? Why?

Edited by Marck

As someone who mostly plays SP, the thought of natural landing sites being occupied by rovers is of little concern to me. But I see no reason why it flying into the air and then landing again would be a problem. It would still allow you to land wherever you please, and would prevent potential trolling once dedicated servers become a thing. The only problem I foresee is people building habitats at landing sites, which could be easily prevented with just a "barrier" that prevents building in that zone.

@[TS]Infernal Crusader

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to land whereever you please. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

You say that natural sites being occupied is of little concern to you. I guess that is because, in single-player, you are the only one who could possibly occupy the landing site, right? But isn't this also the case for vehicle bays?

Apart from that, to prevent the current issue of stacking vehicles on other vehicles occupying the same landing site, your preferred solution apparently is the pushing or automatic launching of the occupying vehicle to somewhere else. If you do not want this to result in something arbitrary and unwanted (e.g. vehicles crashing into the middle of existing bases, flipping when hitting uneven ground, or falling down into ravines), then the game needs some functionality which does this gracefully. That is neither simple nor easy to do. (Perhaps the same method can be applied that is used to land a shuttle at a natural landing site but I do not know if this can already handle a base that is at the same location; it can get quite involved to make this work correctly.)

What you suggest could be a solution, but it is not simple.

Regarding the potential for griefing in multiplayer, I have already stated elsewhere what also applies to this topic: Harassing players by malevolently occupying landing sites is way to involved to be actually an issue; the game already offers potential griefers much easier and more effective means to cause havok, e.g. burying others with the terrain tool, disrupting tether lines, using seeds, or dynamite etc.

I would enjoy landing in whatever spot suited my current interests, yes. And while there are other means of trolling that may prove easier to those bent on griefing, planets such as the Barren are prime spots for potential trolling with the malevolent occupation of landing sites. If every site that was occupied was simply grayed out, that could open the door for people to potentially lock other players off said planets. The few natural landing zones could be taken up, and even if you had a vehicle bay, what would stop someone bent on ruining your day from pulling a rover in and hooking it up? Then you're locked off the Barren until someone decides to fly away. This is simply an example, but it is possible. And my idea may not be the most simple or elegant, but perhaps there could be a compromise between the two. Let us try and put our ideas together in a way that is more constructive than badgering each other in a thread meant to address an issue, not cause them.