DaPhuuLz

[Merged] Data point on Tether Issue

Loaded into my save on current version and every tether that wasn't a direct connection to my buildings was disconnected, even from each other.

Untitled.png

I agree that the tethers should really have some limitations but not for performance reasons (when the game is further optimised and bugfixed having lots of tethers shouldn't be a problem) but for gameplay/challenge reasons. In my opinion the habitat should have a little power and oxygen buffer comparable to the player's suit capacity, so that crafting solar panels and placing them on the habitat when first landing down would be rewarded as you'd get more power storage for gathering the first few resources. But also keeping your oxygen topped up should require power like how it was in a previous version of the game. Then you'd need to set up a power infrastructure as an early game goal but also it would add more value to the oxygen and energy deposits you can find.

Edited by Nafen
Edit: Also not sure if you can do this, but can you edit the topic tag and add 'tether' and/or 'tethers' ? not sure but it might help people find this topic so all the info about tether bugs can be kept in one place.

Another thing, I picked up and placed down a bunch of my tethers on my way to the nearby cave and when I got there, the tether lines leading into the cave were black?

Untitled.png

Is this another bug or is it a new feature to show they're disconnected? I'm not sure, because picking one of them up and then placing it back down makes the line blue again though only that segment of it, even though it's not connected to the base/any oxygen, but my astroneer doesn't attach to it.Untitled.png

If it's a feature, it's pretty cool because the tethers with a black line no longer give out light! But maybe make it so that the single bit of line doesn't go blue again just by picking it up and placing it back down.

Another bug, Shift+Click on tether will make it disappear, doesn't go into your backpack. Likewise picking up a tether with the cursor and then clicking on your Astroneer to put it in your backpack also makes it disappear instead of adding to your tethers in the backpack.

Not sure if anyone else experienced this issue but lastnight while playing the game I noticed my issue started while I was in the purple cave. I created lots of tethers because I'm exploring this massive maze of a cave lol Everytime I connected to a tether my game would seriously lag. I even shut down the game and restarted it and still experienced this issue. I also noticed my tethers would be removed or disconnected. I'm not sure if this is part of the storm that passes by frequently in the game or if this has anything to do with the tether beta. I noticed the tether length doubled when I would reconnect my disconnected tether. Yet I did not opt into the beta for the tether yet. So I was curious on the lag and the random tether disconnect throughout the game.

I am experiencing the same problems.

Played yesterday...worked hard to create this...network of thethers so i can walk around farther and deeper...saved...loaded today....and the thethers do not work....

They are linked to eatherother...but they do not light up...and they do not provide oxygen...

Picking them up...and adding them to the inventory doesnt help....moving them around doesnt help...placing new ones...doesnt help

Donno what to do....if any1 has any other ideas that might fix this...please let me know...

Playing through Steam on win7 (let me know if u need any other info)

Hello fellow Astroneers,

as the developers asked on steam I updated my game to the experimental build and tested the "Tether Update" out.

First of all, im using a gtx1070, 16GB RAM and a 3,2 GHz processor (Don't want to give more information) and I'm playing the game on steam via mouse and keyboard.

So let's begin with the results i got.

Experimental Build Results:

1 Stack = 11 Tethers

Stacks  |  FPS

0            | 62

1            | 62

2            | 58

3            | 48

4            | 40

5            | 32

6            | 31

7            | 26

8            | 25

Official Build Results:

Stacks  |  FPS

0            | 62

1            | 62

2            | 52

3            | 43

4            | 35

5            | 30

6            | 24

7            | 22

8            | 22

Reflection:

All of the results are not 100% accurate because the fps rises and drops all of the time.

Standing 20 meter away from the tethers does give me 62 fps again on both builds.

The picture with the orange Astroneer is from the experimental build, the other one from the stable build.

If there is more/more accurate/more specific information needed just tell me.

20161219182259_1.jpg

20161219182844_1.jpg

20161219180445_1.jpg

20161219181223_1.jpg

Im not sure how it started and didnt encounter it untill today but i was playing on xbox one placed down a wind turbine ans suddenly anytime i connected to anything that supplies me with O2 will make a loud sound untill you disconnect from the supply.

Despite other people's experiences, me and my cousins multiplayer session ran pretty decent connection wise. When I laid tether down though, it would not connect to his home base or other tethers? My oxygen supply line would connect to certain tethers laid by him, and others it wouldn't. Also in some cases, I would manipulate one of my cousins tether post that he had laid down, and it would lose connection to the oxygen coming from the other tethers. Mind you the tether would still be in oxygen line distance. As a ghost image would appear indicating that it's within the reach of the oxygen line coming from the homebase. 

9 hours ago, littlefool said:

Just wanted to add here that my problem with the tethers disconnecting when out of view range has been fixed by the last beta release it seems. Thats version 0.2.100.0 on Steam now.

However the patch disconnected all tethers which can be reconnected after picking them up and placing them down again at the same stop

beside that I think @Gerry your ideas with the tethers are really good and would make the game much more challenging than it currently is

thanks!

9 hours ago, Nafen said:

Loaded into my save on current version and every tether that wasn't a direct connection to my buildings was disconnected, even from each other.

I agree that the tethers should really have some limitations but not for performance reasons (when the game is further optimised and bugfixed having lots of tethers shouldn't be a problem) but for gameplay/challenge reasons. In my opinion the habitat should have a little power and oxygen buffer comparable to the player's suit capacity, so that crafting solar panels and placing them on the habitat when first landing down would be rewarded as you'd get more power storage for gathering the first few resources. But also keeping your oxygen topped up should require power like how it was in a previous version of the game. Then you'd need to set up a power infrastructure as an early game goal but also it would add more value to the oxygen and energy deposits you can find.

I also agree with you. I don't know much but with that said, I think this could provide both short term solution to technical problems the game's currently having and long term reward for gameplay features. win-win!

8 hours ago, Nafen said:

Another bug, Shift+Click on tether will make it disappear, doesn't go into your backpack. Likewise picking up a tether with the cursor and then clicking on your Astroneer to put it in your backpack also makes it disappear instead of adding to your tethers in the backpack.

you can read about some solutions/alternatives I found out that you could do to avoid encountering this bug in my II. Bugs and Crashes post at No. 3

8 hours ago, Nafen said:

Another thing, I picked up and placed down a bunch of my tethers on my way to the nearby cave and when I got there, the tether lines leading into the cave were black?

Is this another bug or is it a new feature to show they're disconnected? I'm not sure, because picking one of them up and then placing it back down makes the line blue again though only that segment of it, even though it's not connected to the base/any oxygen, but my astroneer doesn't attach to it.

If it's a feature, it's pretty cool because the tethers with a black line no longer give out light! But maybe make it so that the single bit of line doesn't go blue again just by picking it up and placing it back down.

cool! I should try this out and experiment on it.

13 minutes ago, Gerry said:

you can read about some solutions/alternatives I found out that you could do to avoid encountering this bug in my II. Bugs and Crashes post at No. 3

Thanks for that, I usually keep a battery or two in my top most slots so that they are closer to my view-ish. I'll start leaving my first slot for tethers.

So tethers are quite the necessity when first starting out in the game. And rather than taking them down when I no longer really need them, I just keep them. That becomes very bad, usually when a vehicle lile the truck or rover become involved and attach to the tethers. Then the games slows down drastically, gets super glitchy, and pretty much becomes unplayable. Then you have to quit the game entirely, restart it, and drive the vehicle away from the tethers, repeating until the game stops freaking out and the vehicles aren't tethered to the tethers.

I was finally able to get the game back to normal by removing all of the tethers that I could see being weird (the blue tether lines jump from place to place, connecting to other ones that they shouldn't be able to connect to, connecting to invisible tethers, etc.).

And so far, everything has worked fine after keeping my vehicles away from my tethers, and after removing a few of the tethers.

Hello. I'm gonna post some of my findings on tethers using ASTRONEER[beta] ver 0.2.103.0 following @Nafen 's post. But first, I'd like to say that I'm now having a smooth, lagless and crashless gameplay even on my previously laggiest save. I half expected the opposite since I'm using AMD as I've read that AMD users are really having performance issues with the game. But boy, I was impressed by what I saw. Once again to the developers, good job!

Now, on to the topic.

1. I saw that the tethers that I had previously set up throughout the world are now disconnected and not lighting up anymore. Only the first few tethers nearby the base are.15.jpg1

I like how they still have that little bit of glow in them that tells you where they are. This could now double as markers in caves so that you would remember where you were and would not get lost. This is one of the things I mentioned on my III. Suggestions post and I'm happy that it got into the game. I sure hope more of those will be added or atleast considered.

2. I drove my truck near 1 and 2 of these tethers to see if the rest would reconnect and it seems that they don't.

20161219204824_1.jpg220161219204805_1.jpg3

as you can see above(pic.2), both tethers are now connected to the rover but not to each other. same as to the rest of them. And if you notice on pic.3, the light the 2nd tether provides didn't turn off even after disconnecting from my truck.

3. Now I tried picking them up and placing them again and finally this time, they now connect.20161219204848_1.jpg420161219204853_1.jpg5

4. I drove my truck away to see if they would disconnect again and it seems that they don't. They remain connected.20161219204907_1.jpg6

5. I repeated step 3. and this is what happened.20161219204918_1.jpg720161219204922_1.jpg8

lines turned black and lights turned off. (Now, to not confuse my term of "light" and "glow" on these tethers, "light" is that which brightens up the surroundings while "glow" is that little bit of light that remains on the tethers even though they are disconnected that serves as markers as I mentioned in step 1.) I am not sure what it really means but I can only assume that the developers are going for something like "Black Line" means they are connected but doesn't have power supply--either batteries got depleted or the source is now gone.--therefore won't provide any sustenance to the player(You can also see that I'm not connected to them anymore and depleting my oxygen). And "No Line" means they are too far apart and therefore cannot connect.

I then drove my truck back to these lines and it seemed to confirm this.20161219205006_1.jpg9

6. I don't know if you could call this a bug or if it is an intended feature of the game. I also mentioned this on my III. Suggestions post

It's right when I backed the truck far enough that it would disconnect from them.20161219205135_1.jpg10

The tethers remained lit and still provided me with oxygen. And then we're back all over again from step 4.

I don't know if I made any progress at this point as all of these have already been mentioned before but I think it's a good thing that players and developers alike would see this in 1 whole chunk of post. 

Conclusion: there's something in those black lines but it doesn't seem complete yet. "Tethers too OP pls nerf".

If you run down a hill fast enough to start sliding and run into a tether, you'll stop moving, but continue to slide in place. Jumping while like this will send you flying; in my case, off a mountain. It's a lot of fun but probably not intended.

It might be necessary to have the ground slope into the tether to make this work, but I haven't really tested much. I was able to repeat this glitch consistently on the same tether.

Every so often when im playing I will get tired and get off for an hour or so and when I get back on the tethers seem to have disconnected from the source which is pain is butt because Im underground mining(altering the terain) for materials and the all of a sudden I start dying. Also another problem with the tethers is that the more you have the worse the game runs and its not just the tethers its also when I get in a rover, truck, shuttle, or just explore but I am on a console and not a pc.

Edited by Nicholasandrew

I'd also like to share this video I recorded following my experimentation on my last post. Just to further explain how the cycle goes. This, However was taken on ASTRONEER [beta] ver. 0.2.107.0.

Edited by Gerry

So I am having the strage Bug, taht my Second Base  won't get any Energy.

My Surface Base has Power though, as you can see in the Picture.

Coming from the right are the tehters to the Surface, and on the left you can see the Researchcenter, which won't get any energy.
I though get Energy, but not beyond that point.

20161220170904_1.jpg

On 19/12/2016 at 2:45 AM, freddyLuxe said:

I have the same problem, I created a topic earlier today about it where I describe my case :

It really seems to be tied to exploring more terrain. Tethers doesn't seem to affect any of this. Only terrain generation / loading stuff. I have games with no tether, no base nothing. All I did was walk as far as possible, taking oxygen from the ground until I die. And I get low FPS.

I think it's combined.... tethers and new terrain. it feels like the game gathers data and thinks about it ALL THE TIME. i know that in programming terms it doesn't have any sense but that's what it feels like. my 200 tether chain makes my pc drop to 15-18 fps. when i disconnect the chain ..... 35-40 FPS. 

On 20/12/2016 at 5:01 AM, Nicholasandrew said:

Every so often when im playing I will get tired and get off for an hour or so and when I get back on the tethers seem to have disconnected from the source which is pain is butt because Im underground mining(altering the terain) for materials and the all of a sudden I start dying. Also another problem with the tethers is that the more you have the worse the game runs and its not just the tethers its also when I get in a rover, truck, shuttle, or just explore but I am on a console and not a pc.

on PC the black tether problem is solved by getting to the main menu and connecting again to the save you had the problem. it worked for me once. 

Edited by endurance