DaPhuuLz

[Merged] Data point on Tether Issue

When i start a new game everything runs fine on 60FPS with a little dips when something pops-in.

now i have notice that the more place you have been through the lower FPS that save will be. in the first area, just around the first landing point, the FPS is fine. Then, as i go further and further from the base the Framerate starts droping 55, 50, 42, 30, 20. and it won't ever come back to 60FPS for that save. Quiting the game and load that save game will get the same FPS when you leave.

I"ve tried looking around for solution and found that someone said about too many tether. i've only place like 100 - 200 Tethers on different planets. So i went and remove all of them. (they disappeared when i Shift+click to pick up). but the FPS still sitting at 20. so i don't think that is the case.

Someone (in chat) mention that Minecraft used to have this problem but already got it fixed. I never play minecraft or follow any minecraft news so idk. but maybe it is the same case?.

i do not have any other performance issue than this. really love the game and would like to play further but average 20fps starts causing frustrations.

i hope we find to solution to this soon. :)

PS: i still got many bugs that other has already posted. let's hope those get squished too.

If your problem occurs after playing for a while, consider monitoring your CPU temperature.
Mine was getting pretty hot (it's an i7). I suspect some people CPUs are throttling down due to overheating, creating a bottleneck and a FPS drop.
Might be especially true on laptops and dusty PCs.

Edited by Le troll des bois

39 minutes ago, Le troll des bois said:

If your problem occurs after playing for a while, consider monitoring your CPU temperature.
Mine was getting pretty hot (it's an i7). I suspect some people CPUs are throttling down due to overheating, creating a bottleneck and a FPS drop.
Might be especially true on laptops and dusty PCs.

Well. my System Temperatures are fine. The Low FPS seems to attatch to the save file. For example when i Load the game that have explore many planets it get very low FPS. then when i load the game that didn't go very far it is constantly 60 fps as long as i didn't explore too much.

1 minute ago, DaPhuuLz said:

Well. my System Temperatures are fine. The Low FPS seems to attatch to the save file. For example when i Load the game that have explore many planets it get very low FPS. then when i load the game that didn't go very far it is constantly 60 fps as long as i didn't explore too much.

Hi, does it occur even when you're not tethered ? If you didn't try could you please load a game where you have performance issues and walk away from any tether and wait for a few seconds to see if your FPS go back to normal ? (Just to make sure we're not all having the same issues)

No. i'm prettry sure it's not the Tether.

Now i'm testing a 0 Tether playthrough and will report here (in edit).

[Edit:]
I've gone and done it. 0 Tether.
- i started a new game. Landed and have a pleasant 60 fps experience.

- running back and forth between the base and rasin / compound nodes.

- expand the base. By the end of the session i thin i've build Smelter, Printer, Vehicle Bay, Research platform and 6 more connector platforms.

- go to cave. Apparently the planet i'm on has a huge network of caves so i went in there with some Filter (dunno if it help or not) then start running through caves and use only available O2 in the cave (there are tons of those) , i keep going and going collecting some aluminium and copper a few other run keep going further and further.

- by the end of the session (about 40 minutes) the game get around 33 fps on average. which is (getting lower) quicker than the first run that i use tons of tether. maybe it's because i didn't rush through the map on the first run.

no Tether were created in this session.

Edited by DaPhuuLz
well.. i guess i cannot edit the reply that is to old so i have to reply to my own reply.

I also noticed a frame drop after playing for a few hours, I think it might be related to the amount of explored terrain as said in previous comments.

But when reloading a save game (without restarting the game) I did got 60fps again, unlike in the first comment.

Hello! following the recent news on Steam, I've read about the "Tether Patch Beta! Help Test!" topic that was posted and decided to participate.

Here's what I found out:

I. Performance Issues

1. I played on my first saved game which has the most tethers on it where I basically tethered through everything like a madman. I found out that there is still a huge fps drop and major lag issues. I'm not sure if it is the significant amount of tethers or anything else that causes it though. here's my specsdxdiag.jpg

II. Bugs and Crashes

1. The first and second crashes I experienced was when I pointed and clicked on the ground where a green triangle pops out. but when I re-loaded and tried it on the third time, it didn't crash anymore so I'm not sure how to exactly replicate the process. 1.jpg

(this screenshot was on the third time I loaded the game)

2. When I printed tethers on my backpack, I had a huge FPS drop and lagged for about 3-4 seconds. when it went back to normal, I saw that the tether was made but all the compounds were not consumed. it left a bit on my printing slot and I can't take it off or re-craft the remaining tether that wasn't printed. I can't even click it.2.jpg

3. This was when I tried the recycling method on tethers. I found out that when the tether is not on the first backpack slot(the upper-leftmost corner slot), the tethers will disappear therefore will not be recycled. This happens when you drag the tether to yourself without opening your backpack or when automatically collecting items(or "quick pick" as I call it) using Shift+left click. This is what I was doing when the game crashed. I was basically shift+left clicking all the tethers and when I missed and accidentally clicked on the ground, the game crashes . 

You could still recycle the tethers on the other backpack slots by manually opening your backpack and putting them on the desired slot.

3.jpg

pick

4.jpg

Place (see that it always go to the first slot when you point the tether to yourself even if it already has compounds on it, when you don't manually open the inventory) and when it happens...

5.jpg

tether disappears. Same thing happens when you quick pick

sorry if I double post this but this might be better thread for this

I'm also on the beta branch with the tether patch and for me they keep disconnecting when I'm out of view range. It's not all of them and it fells like it's always the same 4 or 5 connections that keep breaking. I also placed them really close together after I noticed that cos I thougt they might be drifting out of range for some reason but that didn't help.

FPS is good for me tough but to be fair I only placed like 1 hour on the normal branch but compared to that it feels smoother

Just now, littlefool said:

sorry if I double post this but this might be better thread for this

I'm also on the beta branch with the tether patch and for me they keep disconnecting when I'm out of view range. It's not all of them and it fells like it's always the same 4 or 5 connections that keep breaking. I also placed them really close together after I noticed that cos I thougt they might be drifting out of range for some reason but that didn't help.

FPS is good for me tough but to be fair I only placed like 1 hour on the normal branch but compared to that it feels smoother

I haven't noticed what you've experience yet as I'm still in the process of writing more on this thread. you could add more of your findings and screenshots here though.

III. Suggestions - these are basically my opinions on the game from this point on

The tether mechanics is what currently makes or breaks the game in my opinion. 

1. Knowing that tethers could basically provide an infinite source of oxygen and sometimes power to players, they would just think of putting tethers everywhere. And that's where all these negative issues stem from. Ranging from FPS drops to crashes. It could also render other equipments useless e.g. Tank, Filters etc.

I did some experiments on tethers and found out that they could still provide oxygen even though they are not connected to a source (e.g. Habitat, Platform or Vehicle)

6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

There should be a limit to these things. I also went to the cave systems where I put my vehicle outside and tethered my way deep inside and saw the same thing. they are still working and still providing light even though the truck is not there anymore. What I would suggest is tethers should stop working when they are disconnected from a power source. The individual posts could still provide some lighting but those Neon Lines should disappear(I think these lines are what causes lag).

2.They should also constantly consume power from the source and disconnect when power runs out. I know this might be a problem in the early game where you only have your habitat but the solution I could think of is by adding Power to these habitats. this could add a more immersive sense of survival to the game and encourage players to think of an alternative and find another way of providing for themselves.

3. I watched one of the developer's let's play and I saw that he could drag the tube(or front/back connector, whatever it's called) and connect the vehicle to himself and he was able to siphon power from that rover. I wonder why that feature isn't in the current game? 

Here I have some screenshots on my experimentation on this:

11.jpg

13.jpg

consumed a lot of power and connected on a vehicle that doesn't have any power-generating equipments. Not siphoning any power.

14.jpg

Finally, I put a solar panel on it and it began to give me power.

I think it would be fun if you could still siphon power from your vehicle even if it doesn't have any power-generating equipments. Just consume from its reserve.

I made a second playthrough where I used minimal amounts of tethers where I didn't connect them and only used them as a source of light and for me to remember my way back through the cave systems, only relying on my rover. And man, it was one of the most enjoyable playthroughs I've had in a long time. It also reduced lag and my FPS never dropped significantly.

4. I also did another thing where I put my tether on the side slot of the backpack ("Equipment slot" as I call it) to find out if they could provide an extra lighting in the dark when inside the caves. It turns out it doesn't. 

9.jpg10.jpg

there could also be another feature to this instead of just providing additional lighting. It could be used in multiplayer where people that are equipped with these could be connected and share their oxygen and power amongst each other. This would introduce cooperation among the players and provide enjoyable multiplayer experiences.

I know that this might be a useless feature with the current tether mechanics. But with the limits that I suggested, this would definitely be a good thing to consider.

12.jpg

9 minutes ago, Gerry said:

III. Suggestions - these are basically my opinions on the game from this point on

The tether mechanics is what currently makes or breaks the game in my opinion. 

1. Knowing that tethers could basically provide an infinite source of oxygen and sometimes power to players, they would just think of putting tethers everywhere. And that's where all these negative issues stem from. Ranging from FPS drops to crashes. It could also render other equipments useless e.g. Tank, Filters etc.

I did some experiments on tethers and found out that they could still provide oxygen even though they are not connected to a source (e.g. Habitat, Platform or Vehicle)

6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

There should be a limit to these things. I also went to the cave systems where I put my vehicle outside and tethered my way deep inside and saw the same thing. they are still working and still providing light even though the truck is not there anymore. What I would suggest is tethers should stop working when they are disconnected from a power source. The individual posts could still provide some lighting but those Neon Lines should disappear(I think these lines are what causes lag).

2.They should also constantly consume power from the source and disconnect when power runs out. I know this might be a problem in the early game where you only have your habitat but the solution I could think of is by adding Power to these habitats. this could add a more immersive sense of survival to the game and encourage players to think of an alternative and find another way of providing for themselves.

3. I watched one of the developer's let's play and I saw that he could drag the tube(or front/back connector, whatever it's called) and connect the vehicle to himself and he was able to siphon power from that rover. I wonder why that feature isn't in the current game? 

Here I have some screenshots on my experimentation on this:

11.jpg

13.jpg

consumed a lot of power and connected on a vehicle that doesn't have any power-generating equipments. Not siphoning any power.

14.jpg

Finally, I put a solar panel on it and it began to give me power.

I think it would be fun if you could still siphon power from your vehicle even if it doesn't have any power-generating equipments. Just consume from its reserve.

I made a second playthrough where I used minimal amounts of tethers where I didn't connect them and only used them as a source of light and for me to remember my way back through the cave systems, only relying on my rover. And man, it was one of the most enjoyable playthroughs I've had in a long time. It also reduced lag and my FPS never dropped significantly.

4. I also did another thing where I put my tether on the side slot of the backpack ("Equipment slot" as I call it) to find out if they could provide an extra lighting in the dark when inside the caves. It turns out it doesn't. 

9.jpg10.jpg

there could also be another feature to this instead of just providing additional lighting. It could be used in multiplayer where people that are equipped with these could be connected and share their oxygen and power amongst each other. This would introduce cooperation among the players and provide enjoyable multiplayer experiences.

I know that this might be a useless feature with the current tether mechanics. But with the limits that I suggested, this would definitely be a good thing to consider.

12.jpg

I know that this part should've gone to Feature requests, Ideas sub-forum but I figured that I ought to put this since I'm already here. Feel free to double-post this if you feel like it and agree to these ideas of mine

In my previous comment I said FPS would increase again to 60 after reloading the game, this is still true I believe in some part, but the more you build and explore the less the frames will increase after reloading. I'm at a point where I have 5 vehicles and 8 nodes built and discovered quite some terrain and the FPS is now around 20, when reloading, the fps increase is now barely noticable.

One of the issues I've written down is the one you mentioned, where if the top left slot in your backpack is a full bundle of tethers or a different item, shift-clicking tethers will cause the tether to be lost. You can click and drag tethers into your backpack though, if you are careful to select an empty slot.

I just wanted to highlight this one again here, rather than start my own thread for it.

I have seen similar problems with decreasing FPS as more of my first and only explored planet to the point that I could not move and got stuck looking for my base and trying to get back. Does the entire planet stay loaded and all objects stay active while not in "view"?

As a note on the tether decreasing FPS, I was almost stuck at my base as my 3 trucks where connecting to more than one tether and umbilicals.  So there is something there with the tethers causing problems. 

On an earlier thread about this issue an administrator commented that the team is aware of this issue. Apparently it has something to do with assets never unloading, so the number rendered objects increases over time. It's so cool that they are keeping us informed of their progress, I have very high hopes for this game.

I have the same problem, I created a topic earlier today about it where I describe my case :

It really seems to be tied to exploring more terrain. Tethers doesn't seem to affect any of this. Only terrain generation / loading stuff. I have games with no tether, no base nothing. All I did was walk as far as possible, taking oxygen from the ground until I die. And I get low FPS.

Edited by freddyLuxe

27 minutes ago, Charletron said:

On an earlier thread about this issue an administrator commented that the team is aware of this issue. Apparently it has something to do with assets never unloading, so the number rendered objects increases over time. It's so cool that they are keeping us informed of their progress, I have very high hopes for this game.

Really nice to know ! I can't wait for a fix this game is so addictive ! haha

latest beta version 0.2.100.0 improved the performance massively for me when going out far away from starting pod. I tried it with and without tethers and both times it was well playable after about 30minutes of pure walking away.

In older versions I couldnt even walk 5minutes straight away without dropping all the fps.

Maybe some memory issues solved, definately going the right direction!

Edited by monte2k3

Switched to the experimental branch to test the tether fix.

I was able to get to around 170 tethers in a complex circuit before I started to notice a fps hit.
There were at least 2 loops in the circuit and totaled 200 tethers that I strung into the cave system. I also have a substantial base built with a few vehicles and many resources.

Attached is a 480p video of my base and the 200 tethers and the noticeable fps hit.

Desktop 12.18.2016 - 20.01.44.04.mp4

DxDiag.txtDxDiag.txt

Using tethers can get pretty glitchy, it seems if im in a cave or close to another tether network above or below me they start to all get connected/disconnected on a continuous rate which usually always ends up with me lagging really bad and suffocating lol

So Leading up to the crash I had accidentally placed an extra tether and tried putting it back on my back with the move function and it dissapeared not just the blue line but the whole thing.

Steam

Keyboard and mouse