Right now there’s two ways to make waste off the top of my head refining hydrazine and smelting stuff but this is so commonly done it might cover the entire planet in pollution if your not carefull

i think this would be a great addition were it could ruin the environment and even start to kill organic research pods and other plants

On 1/18/2017 at 4:54 PM, Fly Boy said:

Even though I like the idea of impact to the ecosystem, it should be in a realistic dimension. Imagine: you are 1-4 little astroneers alone on a really huge planet. How long will you have to work and pollute the surrounding until there is some measurable impact ?

O.k. So there may be some gigantic toxic gas bubbles you may release, when digging around. But that brings you to the opposite problem: How long would you need to work with your tiny equipment, to repair such hughe damage you have done  ?

Additionally the consequences of pollution must be detectable in a short time, so you can see the relation to your behaviour and act against it. (Yes in the real world, cause and  consequences  can be over 50 years away, but this is a game).

One thing, that already changes the planets face are all the holes in the ground. So you have to walk/drive more carefully or you should always fill up the holes. There could be some more problems like this, when you must dump all earth you are digging somewere else. This may create huge hills of rock an be a direct obstacle for transportation.

I'm with this guy. Unless you are running multiple smelters (as in hundreds of them) non-stop 24-7, I don't really see how a single Astroneer can impact in any meaningful or measurable way an entire planetary ecosystem. Plus, it would be nothing that another in-game researchable apparatus wouldn't fix, bringing us back to square one...

I think that it should be a more immediate in your area kinda of thing.

what i mean is if you constantly smelt something in an area then the area would begin to see the affects of course if you continuously pollute at a more dangerous level then you may see affects world wide

A planet that you can circumnavigate with a rover in a trip of 1 hour is not that big, and even one smelter would be enough for pollution to show up. This is a game after all, and there's not much other realism inspiring elemets, I would say.

Edited by LeNUTRIE Metanolo

1 hour ago, Rebelord said:

I think that it should be a more immediate in your area kinda of thing.

what i mean is if you constantly smelt something in an area then the area would begin to see the affects of course if you continuously pollute at a more dangerous level then you may see affects world wide

With wind and sandstorms being already a thing in the game, I still fail to see how pollution would gather and stay localized around the base without being blown away...

joining the club :) hey all! +1 on the idea!

I had similar thoughts that would be great to have some end-game big goals, like this, terraforming, making the planet more green (farming?), creating lakes, making atmosphere breathable (climate control towers?).

In response to vvhorus

It would seep into the ground poisoning it and it would be more on the surface

of course you could create something that would catch it before it hits the ground so you can safely rid of it.

after all you dont see many birds around power plants do you?

Edited by Rebelord

42 minutes ago, ArthurExtreme_Br said:

i don't think so, it doesnt make much sense... first of all, there is only you in the ENTIRE PLANET, you can't pollute the ecosystem with just one human being.

Well if you hadn't noticed, the game isn't supposed to be realistic, and despite being a single human being you are a king of (polluting) industry.

I’m not saying you pollute the entire planet more like a localized thing. For example your hydrazine refiner may create some liquid waste that then begins to seep into the ground and kill organic nearby

21 hours ago, Rebelord said:

In response to vvhorus

It would seep into the ground poisoning it and it would be more on the surface

of course you could create something that would catch it before it hits the ground so you can safely rid of it.

after all you dont see many birds around power plants do you?

I don't live anywhere near a power plant, so I can't really say.

If SES is going to introduce pollution into the game, I'm sure they're also going to introduce a mechanic to reduce/get rid of it.

If (hypothetically) the catalyzer spills some fuel into the ground, we'll just unlock and build the appropriate contraption(s) to clean it up, then back to business as usual. Same if the smelter dumps waste material, or smoke from whatever source lingers around despite the wind. We'll just build something to counter the effects and it would be like nothing ever happened. It will turn out to be simply another inconsequential thing to unlock, build, and potentially provide power to, just like the small rover...

It is my humble opinion that SES should devote their limited resources into developing more interesting content for the game. Turning your Astroneer into Captain Planet should not be one of them...

Well the thing is it wouldn’t be something that completely eliminates the threat just slow down the process and temporary solutions if there’s a big effect

that way you would have to cool it a bit and let the planet fix itself or just have a pollution drop off

Unless pollution has a real game consequence, like perma-kill you so you will need to start a new game, It's just going to be a build-the-counter-and-forget kind of thing. And one single smelter and catalyzer should not produce the amount of waste required to affect an entire planet, no matter how small it is...

Right now, if the game introduced pollution and the mechanics to counter it, I would certainly not pay attention to it at all, especially if I already travel to other planets, because a red/purple spot on the ground near the smelter or the catalyzer is not going to affect my gameplay. See where I'm coming from? For pollution to be a thing in the game, it really needs to have actual in-game consequences that affect your gameplay if not taken care of properly. But then again, building the counter (or multiple counters to be sure) will effectively make players dismiss pollution as not significant to gameplay...

Pollution will be as consequential as storms: it comes, you hide, it passes, you carry on like nothing happened...

Edited by vvhorus

5 hours ago, Rebelord said:

I’m not saying you pollute the entire planet more like a localized thing. For example your hydrazine refiner may create some liquid waste that then begins to seep into the ground and kill organic nearby

well, any waste, like this liquid or gas, would disperse into the planet, so it doesn't make much sense. Also, i can't see much problem of destroying organic neraby, because probaly in this stage of the game, you already game other soucers of energy

I’m just giving examples of what could happen. first liquid pollution only disperses becuase it goes into the ocean and gets pushed away by the current, air pollution while spreads easier the area in which it comes from may have less life becuase it could suffocate plants. Also with the amount of time smelters are used by players it would destroy the environment around them, and maybe cause decay in organic research pods.