Hi, I'm new! I've played for a while past days, and I would try to inspire you.

Have you ever played Spore? I loved that game, and I think the "terraforming" feature of planets could be intresting. I mean the "import fauna and flora to stabilize the planet's ecosystem" thingie.

You've set the game like a gold rush, and that's fine. But what if we have concequences on the ecosystem? What if we have tools that allow us to directly affect the ecosystem? What if certain equipment generate pollution or waste? Pretty much actual topic, I would say ;).

That's just a thought. ;)

P.S.: Good job, even almost without any content the game is fun to play already! Keep it up, cheers!

I'm all for a pollution mechanic and also waste. Designating areas of the planet as landfill sites if you are a very careless and wasteful player and generate lots of pollution :D 

18 minutes ago, Nafen said:

I'm all for a pollution mechanic and also waste. Designating areas of the planet as landfill sites if you are a very careless and wasteful player and generate lots of pollution :D 

Yeah the basic idea is that our doings can affect the ecosystem and change it. Maybe we could even see a change in the planet's resources, who knows, I'm just throwing ideas at them.

Actually I do not know if developers are planning to add a working ecosystem simulation with classified fauna and flora, even :)

I like this idea. It could push players to build a certain way or craft certain items to help dea with these shifts. I'm in favor of any system that allows the player to choose for themselves how to proceed.

Wow. Amazing idea and possible addition to the game, man. Planets with an atmospheric system that you can influence, really good idea. The most basic thing that I can think of implementing is basically a "pollution variable" for every body, which is relative to the planet's size (the bigger the planet, the harder it is to contaminate the atmosphere); and the more you contaminate it with coal generators (for example) instead of renewable energy, the darker and uglier the atmosphere gets. There should also be a way to counter this, a building such as an atmospheric filter (which, let's say, consumes exactly as much energy to clean the atmosphere of an amount X of pollution as it took you to pollute it for that amount X).

I'm following this thread and idea, I think it's really something to look forward to.

Oh yeah, and the more polluted a planet, the bigger the effects of stuff like global warming, sweeping weather changes such as extreme heat and cold and also crazier wind storms as if the planet is fighting back at you. If dumping a lot of nuclear waste from your fusion reactors or whatever instead of storing it safely and cleanly, maybe it could even start having mutation effects on the flora and fauna around the dumping site, and if it's close enough to where you (and your multiplayer buddies) are situated it could start to affect you also :D

Maybe a new planet type could be 'Toxic' planet and it starts with already a high pollution level and the Radiated planets could start off with already randomly mutated lifeforms :D 

I am not a developer so I cannot evaluate coding and designing, I have no idea of what these mechanics would take in term of time and effort. System Era is a small team, maybe we are asking them a bit to much :D . But I indeed see ecology as an argument that should matter in a game like Astroneer.

Yeah I don't know the stress it would have on CPU to calculate pollution increase. It could even just be a percentage and/or based on size of planet like Eirikr said. a much smaller planet could have, for the sake of example, let's say 100 pollution capacity from the size of it's atmosphere. Every pollution producing action that wasn't processed properly or cleaned/maintained could produce lets say 0.5 pollution. Assuming that most moderate players will do some things properly and cleanly/green (using biofuel for example) but do some other things wastefully and polluting when in a hurry (burning fossil fuels to ramp up power production to quickly make something, for example), the pollution rate would fluctuate at different times but generally would settle and dissipate in the down-time so it wouldn't be too much of an annoyance for moderate players but they would occasionally notice some differences in their planet.

On either end of the spectrum it could either make a planet stay the way it was to begin with pollution-wise or even decrease the pollution level in the case of a planet that already had some toxicity, or in the worst case completely mess up a planet and make things get very interesting indeed xD 

This is awesome, maybe planets could have a value to them, the more balanced they are, the more life and how stable they are could effect this VALUE of the planet. 

And the better the value of the planet the more trading potential it has, more theoretical value for resources and maybe an ability to give up your ownership of the planet for a price.  

Game has so much potential 

On this subject, few ideas came up to my mind about hydrazine balance:

• Hydrazine can be crafted refining *placeholder* (<-- put here materials you like)
  • Refining process produce waste as well
  • Waste should be different based on which material we do refine
  • Waste materials have different pollution degree
  • Pollution may slowly alter the planet ecosystem? Maybe from terran to radiated, through various degree?
  • Our waste products can be used to chemically alter existing resources (this may help to avoid intensive hydrazine refining)

This is cool!

a simple way it could work:

using generators and other machines have a small chance of killing a local plant

the less plants in the area, the less oxygen bases and rover make, until they cant keep up with your useage

you can use resources to replant plants, but it takes time.

Plants without many other plants around them could die over time

this would another layer of depth to the game, and make you actually care about the planet you explore and the FREAKING SPIKY POISON DEATH PLANTS.

anyway, its a cool idea.

I was thinking about this when looking at the larger suggestion threads and it honestly seems like really fun idea. I love consequences in videogames as it really makes the player think about what they're going to do and how they're going to do it, adding almost some sort of strategic elements to the game. Big big big +1 on this excellent idea.

I've been busy for a while but now I am ready to be back on this topic.

Yet, maybe it's to early to talk about a complex gameplay feature like ecosystems, devs are still focusing on removing bugs.

I'll wait to see in which direction ASTRONEER will move before going deeper with this argument.

Even though I like the idea of impact to the ecosystem, it should be in a realistic dimension. Imagine: you are 1-4 little astroneers alone on a really huge planet. How long will you have to work and pollute the surrounding until there is some measurable impact ?

O.k. So there may be some gigantic toxic gas bubbles you may release, when digging around. But that brings you to the opposite problem: How long would you need to work with your tiny equipment, to repair such hughe damage you have done  ?

Additionally the consequences of pollution must be detectable in a short time, so you can see the relation to your behaviour and act against it. (Yes in the real world, cause and  consequences  can be over 50 years away, but this is a game).

One thing, that already changes the planets face are all the holes in the ground. So you have to walk/drive more carefully or you should always fill up the holes. There could be some more problems like this, when you must dump all earth you are digging somewere else. This may create huge hills of rock an be a direct obstacle for transportation.

On 12/19/2016 at 5:48 AM, LeNUTRIE Metanolo said:

Hi, I'm new! I've played for a while past days, and I would try to inspire you.

Have you ever played Spore? I loved that game, and I think the "terraforming" feature of planets could be intresting. I mean the "import fauna and flora to stabilize the planet's ecosystem" thingie.

You've set the game like a gold rush, and that's fine. But what if we have concequences on the ecosystem? What if we have tools that allow us to directly affect the ecosystem? What if certain equipment generate pollution or waste? Pretty much actual topic, I would say ;).

That's just a thought. ;)

P.S.: Good job, even almost without any content the game is fun to play already! Keep it up, cheers!

Agree.  I can go trash a huge plant with no recourse.  I think that some consequence would be reasonable.  Being able to "reforest" would be cool and a way to offset the negative affect of toppling a huge plant for the gunk under it. :)

On 12/19/2016 at 4:10 PM, Zander said:

I like this idea. It could push players to build a certain way or craft certain items to help dea with these shifts. I'm in favor of any system that allows the player to choose for themselves how to proceed.

This.

1 hour ago, foreverjeff said:

Agree.  I can go trash a huge plant with no recourse.  I think that some consequence would be reasonable.  Being able to "reforest" would be cool and a way to offset the negative affect of toppling a huge plant for the gunk under it. :)

And This

This game has so much potential! Like your ideas as well. Of course not all things can be implemented by the team, however, some are awesome (and I am quite sure that we will see some). Earliest suggestions (well, seen that your comment is from the earliest days) were that coal could cause pollution and change the environment or at least the surrounding.

I dig fu**loads of coal, however, mainly using it for trading :). If you could---or have to---terraform the planet to achieve something (like being able to see plants growing or whatever) that would be awesome :). Looking forward to see something going into this direction some when in the future. 

I think this would be a great "teaching aspect" for our young players (teaching children to take care of our planet, not doing the Trump).

Edited by reto

One of the devs (Veronica? Samantha?) mentioned some time ago (forum? blog? twitter?) that terrain now filling in gray instead of color was a way to show the environmental impact we have on the planet. Granted, this is a fairly timid display but at least there is awareness and we can only hope it will be expanded further as the game is fleshed out.

I'll try to gather attention over this theme one last time. I did this suggestion on the very start of early access, and I do realize the game is now heading to other directions, but still: don't you like the idea to have to manage an ecosystem which would be impacted by your doings and enstablishments?

Waste management, pollution management, achievable better atmospehere (breathable?), flora and fauna population, and so on.