the inclusion of mech like suits could add more of a variation to players way of mining allowing us to explore caves safetly and able to ward off dangerous creatures without guns or particular violent aspects. the arms could have tier 2 connections able to fit drills, winchs, and even hands capable of picking up structures or other vehicals for relocation. not many games incorporate mechs but i think astroneer would be preety amazing with a customisable mech. as for requirements for building the mech they could be either rare resources of the components could be only accessable through the printer forcing players to have to work for their reward and feeling like a significant asset to our expeditions around the worlds.

Love it, think it would work grate if they made a mini drill etc, could build a an exosuit filled with drills, O2 tanks and batteries and just go ham mining :P Maybe a jet pack as well?

that would be amazing, how cool would it be to explore with the mech being used to scale large mountains that rovers simply cant scale, such as using winches or a jetpack or even brute climbing power.

that would be pretty awesome. if it could have an ai to defend you or run to your aide when needed that would make the game much more interesting

+1 yes please, exosuits ftw

They could provide functionality like lifting "large objects" like research fruits, or even rovers!

aliens-exoskeleton.jpg

Edited by Trylobot
On 12/19/2016 at 4:02 AM, endurance said:

the mech suit could be built from several parts found accros the planet and researched in the research module. 

+1 to the Mech suit/ Exoskeleton idea. 

I like the thought of having to piece it together from various research items. And seeing that the game is modular, maybe we can have different Torso and mobile parts. Treads would be awesome (like a tank), considering how often a rock stops you with a wheel. 

Edited by Secret Squirrel
3 minutes ago, Secret Squirrel said:

+1 to the Mech suit/ Exoskelton idea. 

I like the thought of having to piece it together from various research items. And seeing that the game is modular, maybe we can have different Torso and mobile parts. Treads would be awesome (like a tank), considering how often a rock stops you with a wheel. 

It is true, and it's cool

maybe multiple "legs" such as bipedal for sprinting and exploration tasks, quadrupedal for cave eploring in those big caverns maybe able to cling to walls and navigate terrain impassible on foot , and tracks/wheels for moving large loads perhaps with a wider torso option available with more slots.

maybe the mech could even be an extension of the player allowing them to use a upgraded terrain tool which would be attachable or optional.

My vision of Mechs in Astroneer:
 - It can be builded in Vehicle Bay
 - It so slow 
 - Mech can be transported by truck, using special module
 - It have two big attach points for tools - on left and right hands
 - Have small attach point in the back (12 for example), for tanks, energy sell and more and 3 mount point for solar panels and etc.
 - It does not produce air
 - It consumes energy
 - It totaly needed on hazard planets. You are died without it. 

+1 for modular mechs!!! There's a mech combat game in Early Access right now (MAV) which has relatively simple modular construction and it's exactly what I'm picturing for this. You start with the base of the mech by deciding if it will be bipedal, quadrupedal, hexapod, or treaded. From there you go crazy with attachments but the basic formula is what I think is important.

In my mind these mechs are simply slower, but "buffed" astroneers. Larger power pack, more storage, arms can be slotted with drills (which should have a larger drill area than the terrain gun), cranes, etc...

I think it'd be fitting, I find myself hating rovers/trucks in a lot of scenarios because they can't handle rough terrain well, they like to flip over all the time if I go too fast on the moon, and caves can be a pain to navigate when you have to get out every few feet to place a new tether and/or clear the terrain. If not mechs, give the darn vehicles better suspension so I can handle some stones on the ground!

Just found this thread.

+1 at the idea of exosuits, giving you mobility yet the ability to drill and switch out different modules with perhaps a jetpack - I think that would be very cool.

I made a similar one, suggesting we should have something like this for bases in space should that ever become a thing: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/43qwq

I think the mech would be a great addition with the possibility of other extreme hazards on planets the meh could be a self sustainedvway to move around the planet even if during storms it needs to "hunker down" during high winds or to protect from rocks hitting it.

the mech could either run on solar power wind power or a combination like bases and rovers do .

On 12/20/2016 at 6:07 PM, Fragman said:

My vision of Mechs in Astroneer:
 - It can be builded in Vehicle Bay
 - It so slow 
 - Mech can be transported by truck, using special module
 - It have two big attach points for tools - on left and right hands
 - Have small attach point in the back (12 for example), for tanks, energy sell and more and 3 mount point for solar panels and etc.
 - It does not produce air
 - It consumes energy
 - It totaly needed on hazard planets. You are died without it. 

That sounds remarkably plausible. I could see them having very big oxygen tanks though. Perhaps later on when we have space stations and asteroid belts and such we could spacewalk with them :D

• 3 weeks later...

I actually started a topic about this as well but this one had gained much more traction so here was my idea:

On 1/13/2017 at 0:46 PM, CJ Bloed said:

I think this could be a fun solution for mining cave networks and could provide a new game mechanic for future content.

If there were a small mech vehicle/power armor suit in the game with storage slots on the back and open utility slots at the ends of the arms, like the slot on the crane, it could easily get into cave networks and smoothen the process of mining.  The truck and crane would still have functionality as surface mining tools while the mech could easily traverse the underground obstacles.

Hand utilities would obviously include the drill head/ some type of crafted mech terrain tool but this could open a door to lots of content.  For instance the utility/storage slot on the back could have a jet pack that could also be used on the truck and car as a temporary speed boost.  The wench could serve as a repelling tool for the mech.  If enemy NPC's were introduced, a weapon could be crafted and affixed to the mech arm.  

I'd love to see what other people think of this idea.