Planet Based Suits

The 4 basic suits are still available at the beginning of your game, but now in the game you can craft planet specific suits that will be adjusted based on which astroneer you chose. So you still have a chance for customization and choice. 

All new suits would be built at the printer

The suit would take up two module spaces; You would not be able to carry in the backpack

A player equips a suit by dragging it over his Astroneer and it auto equips. the replaced suit is transferred into the players's hand and can be placed on any two spots. 

These suits will NOT be needed to travel to other planets. They will definitely help, but are not required. For example, on Tundra if you stay on the planet too long you will freeze and die. The only way to "warm up" is to hop back into your habitat. 

But with the new Tundra suit, you can be out in the cold for as long as you want. 

The suits might be planet specific, but you can still wear them anywhere. You might find that you like some suits better than others. Like if you are in a cave on Terran, you can equip the Barren suit to manage your oxygen better. 

Terran Suit

Researched on Terran

Function: Adds extra backpack spaces

New Augment: Terrain Tool tills the land and makes it usable for farming

Barren Suit

Researched on Terran

Function: Oxygen is depleted slower

Arid Suit

Researched on Barren or Tundra

Function: Protects against extreme heat and also gives more resistance to damage

(In order to deal with the spiked balls flying around)

New Augment: Fire ? 

Tundra Suit

Researched on Barren or Arid

Function: Protects against extreme cold and also enables faster movement 

New Augment: Ice ❄ 

Exotic Suit

Researched on Barren or Radiated

Function: Protects against the poison gas/acid that plants spit out

Radiated Suit

Researched on Barren or Exotic

Function: Protects from extreme radiation and also energy is depleted slower

New Module: Geiger Counter - Detects radiation sources (for later added radiation materials; who knows?)

So let me know what you guys think! Please feel free to add anymore functions to the suits or suggest some really cool modules that would pair well with them. If you have any questions on functionality/mechanics/anything I can totally elaborate on it. 5934de594540c_astroneerPlanetSuits.thumb.png.14831242019402a0fd6452ab4fed3c73.png

This picture is NOT from me, but from System Era. I got most of my ideas from looking at these, so maybe they will inspire you with some great ideas as well!

Honest feedback here (since you're shamelessly promoted your suggestion on your other more popular suggestion) 

I wouldn't like if all of those cool-looking suit were to have specific buffs, it would make it some favoured for it's use, while other are for it's aesthetics.

I'd like for it to have it's potential to be modular, and augment-dependent, cause those all look great, and have amazing color tone. But I would like it to work around theme and the planet it's assigned to. Adding non-essential upgrades like more power, extra speed, or backpack slot shouldn't be a part of it.

Merely, it's ability to adapt with the environment of said planet would suffice enough for me to enjoy and get used to each of them.

I would like to see a module that can be printed for the habitat. You would attach it to the habitat then get in,  you would then get arrows to scroll through the suites you have researched when you are in it and once selected  on exit you are in that suite bit like the suite selection on Deadspace.

15 hours ago, TrojanSteel said:

I would like to see a module that can be printed for the habitat. You would attach it to the habitat then get in,  you would then get arrows to scroll through the suites you have researched when you are in it and once selected  on exit you are in that suite bit like the suite selection on Deadspace.

I like the idea for aesthectics :D 

+1

I'm kinda torn on this one... I understand the 'use specialized suits on an environmental basis', and definitely agree that the Habitat change would be a lot better than figuring out where to put the prior suit... But... I just prefer to play with the Orange suit... I just like the visual appeal of it, it reminds me of 2001, or even 'The Martian' as his suit had so much orange on it.

If I HAD to change suits just to do well on other planets, I'd kinda not like going to other planets. The first time I played a couple of games of Astroneer, I didn't even realize I could choose (I intentionally went in blind/ignorant), so I KNOW that I much prefer just being in the orange suit with the black tubes/straps. Now, if you can make it so that each suit matches your original color/theme of your escape/space suit, then I suppose I wouldn't have issue with it nearly so much...

On 6/7/2017 at 3:47 PM, TrojanSteel said:

Now that I think about it that would be much easier than having all your unused suits lying around. A separate module you build with say two compound. You could easily scroll through all your suits. Maybe even have a place for customization there?

On 6/7/2017 at 2:33 PM, Lithium said:

I wouldn't like if all of those cool-looking suit were to have specific buffs, it would make it some favoured for it's use, while other are for it's aesthetics.

I'd like for it to have it's potential to be modular, and augment-dependent, cause those all look great, and have amazing color tone. But I would like it to work around theme and the planet it's assigned to. Adding non-essential upgrades like more power, extra speed, or backpack slot shouldn't be a part of it.

I agree with you on that. I kinda added the extra buffs to balance them out. But the main purpose of the suits would be to adapt to new and different planets.

On 6/7/2017 at 2:33 PM, Lithium said:

Honest feedback here (since you're shamelessly promoted your suggestion on your other more popular suggestion) 

I know right, no shame! -_-xD

4 hours ago, The Gray Mouser said:

I'm kinda torn on this one... I understand the 'use specialized suits on an environmental basis', and definitely agree that the Habitat change would be a lot better than figuring out where to put the prior suit... But... I just prefer to play with the Orange suit... I just like the visual appeal of it, it reminds me of 2001, or even 'The Martian' as his suit had so much orange on it.

If I HAD to change suits just to do well on other planets, I'd kinda not like going to other planets. The first time I played a couple of games of Astroneer, I didn't even realize I could choose (I intentionally went in blind/ignorant), so I KNOW that I much prefer just being in the orange suit with the black tubes/straps. Now, if you can make it so that each suit matches your original color/theme of your escape/space suit, then I suppose I wouldn't have issue with it nearly so much...

I knew some people would be attached to their favorite starter suit so that's why I suggested that each new suit adapts to your original suit. That could mean both in shape and in color scheme.