CodeIsBroken

Planetary mapping experiment

I thought I'd try and experiment with planetary mapping which hooks onto methods I've already used and those suggested elsewhere in these forums.

The premise is based on measurement provided by tether length. Astroneer holds 11 tethers per slot. So,

- the average distance per tether I'm calling 1 Astroneer Unit (AU)

- a full slot of 11 I'm calling 1 Astroneer Mile (AM). No apologies for the imperial measure here!

- Every AM I mark with a Beacon.

Using the compass I'll attempt to mark out, as accurately as possible, east thru west following by north thru south using my base as the central point.

I could even mark the ground with additional markers indicating distance from base. Given enough time you could even build up latitude and longitudal lines. Getting lost should be a thing of the past until we get some satellite navigation in place!

1 hour ago, CodeIsBroken said:

The premise is based on measurement provided by tether length. Astroneer holds 11 tethers per slot. So,

- a full slot of 11 I'm calling 1 Astroneer Mile (AM). No apologies for the imperial measure here!

Nice!

1 hour ago, Kantanshi said:

That's gonna be a ton of tethers.  You are most likely going to lag out your game.

Picking up the tethers after each AM, the beacon will suffice. The only other issue I can see is mountainous regions.

Edited by CodeIsBroken

9 hours ago, CodeIsBroken said:

Picking up the tethers after each AM, the beacon will suffice. The only other issue I can see is mountainous regions.

If you pick up the tethers, how will you breath?  Are you taking a vehicle along with you?

to be honest, I think your game will die the lag death before you complete this. I started mapping my Terran, and by the time I'd got about a third of it covered (like you, with beacons) I was running at about 20FPS, 10-12 with another player in game.

There's some dataset in memory that keeps growing, it might not be large, but something's iterating over it and doing something with it. every frame. and on worlds with lots of surface exploration, it's a killer.

The game will probably die, I think. But maybe you could measure a quarter of the terrain in one tangential direction throughout the planet, and even calculate its diameter and volume.

On 2017-6-4 at 10:19 AM, CodeIsBroken said:

- Every AM I mark with a Beacon.

I think you should call the maximum possible distance, not the average. The maximum distance is objective, while the "average" may vary from player to player.

Also, consider the terrain. If you want to "map" the place, you should probably render something like a map. But if you wanted some statistics, mapping the whole planet is not a good idea. You may consider mapping key points, like a mountain where you'd consider setting up a solar farm, or something. 

The game "IN IT'S CURRENT CONDITION" may die.  That's called alpha...

Go for it, IMHO.  I'm sure it'll get better as time allows.