This has been asked many times, and I'm sure they've already decided if they're going to add something later.

Until then, there are some creative ways you can find your way around.  I use a lot of beacons to do this.  If I am leaving my base, I'll travel until I can still see the sign but it's about to disappear.  That's where I will put a beacon.  Sometimes I will also use the terrain tool to create a mound, or a shape to point toward home, and place the beacon on that.  The next one would point to the first beacon, and so on.

If there's something special I want to mark, I sometimes use more than 1 beacon at the location.  This also helps when I am in space, if I want to try to land near it.

You'll use a lot of compound, but luckily there's a lot of it all over Terran.

There's also an exploit that many people use in the game.  Remove the seat from your vehicle and put it on the ground.  If you time it right, you can TAB and click on the seat which makes it so you can fly in the seat and not lose oxygen.  Go up into the sky and you can usually find where your base is then go back to your vehicle, remount the seat and go where you need to.

Use tethers, use beacons, or even use vehicles to not get lost. Mark or paint places which you were before, and look for these when you try to go back. Memorize sun cycle, so you can go west/east.

Look at these navigation tips. They might help you, IRL or in Astroneer!

There have been many threads about this.

Mouse over your character's feet and a compass will appear. You can hold right click and move the camera around and the compass will stay there. You can even get in a vehicle, as long as you don't let go of right click the compass will continue displaying even when you are in the seat.