On 6/4/2017 at 10:55 AM, shiloh calvert said:

but it should be made from something hard to get like lithium

Lithium is not an element that you build vehicles with.  If anything you should suggest titanium.

19 hours ago, Kantanshi said:

Lithium is not an element that you build vehicles with.  If anything you should suggest titanium.

Technically it wouldn't be wrong to include a piece of lithium in every vehicle, after all they have their own batteries. But for the sake of balance, this may be too hard right now.

1 hour ago, Wyvyrias said:

Technically it wouldn't be wrong to include a piece of lithium in every vehicle, after all they have their own batteries. But for the sake of balance, this may be too hard right now.

Ya, I'd been thinking about mixing elements with building things for a while now, like back when I suggested the warning strobe lights using a compound and a lithium.  If they do add mixed element crafting, I'm sure it'll be a while in the future after they get the core elements worked out.

Sounds great. To connect to the original thread topic: flyable aircraft---an ultralight glider came in my mind. My idea would go in a direction like:

• very light-weight small plane
  • does not need extra storage-slots (to carry things) as it would more be an explore and have fun thing (flying trough mountain gaps, explore the surrounding
  • as there is no storage unit it allows you to bring back a backpack full of resources if you would use it this way
  • can be 'expensive' in terms of resources
  • would fly using hydrazine. Would be cool if an extra thruster could be attached to increase speed and power
  • needs few meters (e.g. around 6 tether length) without obstacles to start (you have to prepare a bit of land to take off)
  • is able to fly up to a certain distance to the planet's center (should be relatively "easy" to implement I think). Similar to GTA where the plane just looses power at a certain height which is the limiting factor of flying to the space there
  • loops and barrel rolls should be possible (for the fun factor)
  • ... drawback: requires in-flight-physics implemented in the game (maybe not the most important thing at the moment)

Few more thoughts: what happens if you crash? Well, if it would be the same as for the cars it would just flip over and fall down somewhere with you in the pilot's seat (not dying). But: as it is running on Hydrazine I can also imagine that it might explode? Not sure whether this goes well with the dev's plan of a 'non harmful game' but would require a bit more flying skills :).

5970c0aa811b88bb320d7e173111ed4f.jpg

Edited by reto
On 6/3/2017 at 10:29 AM, Elizabeth Marinade said:

Implement a small aircraft for going around and having fun and also have a cargo plane so that it can haul large amounts of resources and or carry a vehicle to place that would be very helpful and fun

Really.... A cargo plane.... in space.

21 hours ago, TylerDynamite said:

Really.... A cargo plane.... in space.

I'm pretty sure they meant to have the plane planet bound, not flying in space.  Use some common sense.

On 6/10/2017 at 1:39 PM, Kantanshi said:

I'm pretty sure they meant to have the plane planet bound, not flying in space.  Use some common sense.

The way children think in today's world it's kind of hard to understand what they're talking about. Maybe the word "Cargo Shuttle" would of been a better word. Hell, they already want PVP in the damn game! Not every game is suppose to be like Call of Duty.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:43 AM, TylerDynamite said:

The way children think in today's world it's kind of hard to understand what they're talking about. Maybe the word "Cargo Shuttle" would of been a better word. Hell, they already want PVP in the damn game! Not every game is suppose to be like Call of Duty.

if ur an adult y u playing a KIDS GAME 

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:43 AM, TylerDynamite said:

o ya since this is a game stop cussing

im not sure, but i think i had read somewhere that dev may implement manual flight for shuttle..    there you will have your plane..  also, they will add modular vehicules..  there also you can have a plane..   but in a game like that, the shuttle is a better idea for hauling cargo with "flight".   also, in reality, plane are only "medium cargo" compared to other transpotation system, exemple, trains.

planes need physics, aerodynamics and so many other important things just to be able to "fly"  .   also need to consider the overall mass of the cargo itself.   a plane cannot haul a "large" amount on anything, even the biggest existing one's are limited with capacity and distance.

my think with this is mostly to use the shuttle, and modular vehicule, build your "plane" and fly, for low/medium hauling capacity..  with rovers, we already have "road-trains" for medium/large" cargo capacity.   the best for real large/extra heavy haul is "Trains on rail"...   trains, with tunnels, signals , stops, loading/unloading stations.   dev just need to use more "advanced technologies", like maglev trains (exemple), or anything futuristic, so we will be able to build wherever we want, even at high angles.   

only my little 2 cents 9_9

Well, banter aside. You don't have to be a children to enjoy Minecraft, and you don't have to be an adult either to enjoy the Witcher.

If there were to be a planetary flyer, It shouldn't be a plane or a helicopter. Those kind of vehicle require air pressure and other aerodynamic magics, to be at a specific amount, hence it might not work in every planet, and not all of them guaranteed to have even have a proper atmosphere.

I'm re suggesting this one to make some sense to be a spacecraft of some kind, not the shuttle.. the one with free aerial control. And perhaps two to four medium slot would balance it with rovers.

2 hours ago, Th0rn said:

What in tarnation did this thread turn into.

Indeed.   No need for the nastiness.

And  for something completely different, Th0rn I've seen your name around somewhere else.  Are you on any SWGEMU servers?

3 hours ago, Nirriti said:

Indeed.   No need for the nastiness.

And  for something completely different, Th0rn I've seen your name around somewhere else.  Are you on any SWGEMU servers?

I have no idea what that even is friend.

This place is getting salty...

On 2017-6-12 at 4:43 PM, TylerDynamite said:

Take note that not everyone here is a native English speaker. Take not aswell that not everyone is as advanced in English as you are. You knew what he meant so why go on about it? Astroneer isnt a game made for a specific age. It is for anyone who wants to play it. Do you think the opinion of a 6 yearold matters to developers who make a game which is played mostly by adults who are able to give decent commentary about improvements to the game? [Nintendoom does but they are dying faster than my motivation to live].

PvP? Already possible mate! Ever heard of Spikers? You can spawntrap someone in those things if he dies and gets back into a habitat. Seen dynamite? Seen dynamite with hydrazine? Do you know what dynamite does? There also is a bug [I think is a bug] where you can put dynamite ontop of your astroneer to make it work like you're a suicide bomber. 

One more thing,

''Not every game is suppose to be like Call of Duty.'' 

Not everything with PVP is CoD. Astroneer does have weapon like items to kill others with but it is your choice to make it PvP when you're playing.

Okay, on a serious note, please stop derailing this thread, if you guys want to discuss about age group and rating, please start a new thread.

I think aircraft are a great idea. Something like the Osprey would work well for flying around planets and have the advantage of VTOL.

Or even a solar powered aircraft..

We don't need aircraft because we have shuttle. Just allow to free fly around the planets.

Edited by Neotix
On 7/6/2017 at 1:51 AM, Neotix said:

We don't need aircraft because we have shuttle. Just allow to free fly around the planets.

yes, but it would be neat to incorporate thrusters into the game as more than an oddity that you lose, it would be neat to build a thing that required 4 thrusters to float around like a hovercraft, and just hover over ravines and over trees, and the fuel intake would be lowered due to battery consumption.  

I hope we get _planes_ too. I am that guy who cant get enough of options and equipment choices. And I really enjoy airplanes in real life and in games.

A cool thing to add is oil and a refinery. Then produce hydrocarbon-fuelcells for combustion engines,  where 1 gasoline and 1 oxygen combines to 1 fuelcell who gives a certain amount of energy.

Where you have different sizes of cells and different sizes of engines.

The game is already a bit arcade in nature so the physics dont need to be "Microsoft flight simulator". ☺