Wyvyrias

blog post
Astroneer Development Roadmap: Pre-Alpha And Beyond

11 posts in this topic

Lots of words? Damn!
But lots of words also means lots of news! Give your excitement a push: http://blog.astroneer.space/p/astroneer-development-roadmap-pre-alpha-and-beyond/

PS: But don't push it too much. The future looks great, but it still takes time. We can't have you burn out already. :P

Btw since we didn't post it here (what horrible fellow I am trying to forget that I forgot about it), if you're interested in a little (really just a little) peak regarding animations, there has been a blog post about this not long ago: http://blog.astroneer.space/p/screenshot-saturday-astroneer-suit-animation/

Greetings!   

To the devs, first, thanks for all the hard work and the great fun you've given us already :-)  This early access run has truly been the best I've experienced!

Ok, so looking at the roadmap---

#1)  Do you see this game as having a definitive ending?  A point at which a player has done all the things and is now really done?  Or perhaps left with wandering around, looking for new landscape views?  This is the point at which a game goes back in the Steam Library and gets pulled out occasionally for nostalgia.  Lots of games have a finite gameplay and are great, btw, so not poking here at all.  And I go back to many games for nostalgia too, which is perfectly ok!

Or

#2)  Do you have a vision for creating a game with features that support truly emergent, long-term gameplay once all the core things have been done?  Things like Building tools/construction materials and elements, puzzle makers, contraption elements etc and most importantly-- an api and hooks for 3rd party created mods?

Maybe some of the items on the roadmap point to #2--- Online persistence, modularity, player trading, player-driven economy, but the roadmap looks more given to #1 (or lack of features on the roadmap so that #2 really isn't likely.)  However, in spite of this, the universe and worlds you've created seem to lend themselves to #2, which I admit is rather confusing.

Any chance you could clarify for us?

Much appreciation at any rate :-)

This is great update!  Thanks for the roadmap.  

My thoughts are as follows: 

I really do think you guys are a lot farther a long than you think you are.  You have a really good game on your hands.  Calling it a pre alpha doesn't give it credit.  It is at a minimum a beta.  I honestly think you are closer to a final 1.0 release than you give yourselves credit for.

Your terrain, gun, base building, exploration and research are all shippable.  Your crafting, shippable.  Of course, with a few tweaks here and there you are DONE.  I don't think you need terrain 2.0 or some of the refactor work that you have for your short term plans.  To be honest, reading your short, mid and long term plans you are revisiting and refactoring and going back to the drawing board on some of these things.  You don't have to be perfectionists here.  You guys are done with many of those systems features (minus fine tuning / balancing as per research for example).  Revisiting them is a mistake IMO.

That being said I think your strategy is wrong.  Instead of refactoring and revisiting so many systems you should do something bold.  Your plan is missing boldness and completeness.  Finish the game.  You are 80% done to a GA.  Build a nice end game, something bold (like space ships, or orbital platforms, or anything that expands the space exploration aspect).  IMHO, focus on that in the next 6 months and ship the thing!  You guys have done a tremendous job and don't give yourselves enough credit!  You have built something totally awesome and playable.  This is the best 20 bucks my gaming dollar has gone in the last 4 years.  

Great job!  Keep up the good work and I hope you consider changing your strategy to finishing your end game or other 'bold' idea that you need to wrap up the game.  You are so close.  Don't let your search for perfection stop your innovation in shipping a solid game-- this game is so close.  It just needs 1 or 2 'new' things you dream up and you are done.

Revisit and clean up all those systems later (like in a content pack or expansion).

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing what's in store!

personnally, if they didnt add more things, features and all...  this game will be good to play few days.. then thats it...   it have a great potential, and can be develop way further than that..  the roadmap seems nice if they take the required time to do it...  and as well  doing a lot of bug hunting.   more research, more items, suits adapted to different planets (going on a radiated planet without a specific suit.. your doomed) ect...  few more ressources, not too much, i see there is already some others already planned, its nice.

if they limit themself to THIS, so they better stop developping anything, it will doom the company name forever!  its unfinished, its clear, even if they fix all bugs right now and keep the game as it is..    no, they have to work on it.   but plz dev, dont follow the kind of guideline like some big game company  , rushing  it then releasing it loaded of bugs for money making.  

this game have great potential, and im happy to support the dev on their hard work.  :D

wishing you good luck on your project, take the time you need! 9_9

I see a "Player customization system"  Too bad there's not a "Game customization system"  :(

It is really great that you are communicating more with the community and that you posted the road map! I love your game and have over 100 hours of play time, but the lack of planets and depth in base building is starting to be a problem. I think your game has a lot of potential, but is still in an early stage of development to see if it will be good. The 2 things I most want to see in the game are automation and more base building mechanics. Good luck, your game is one of my favorites!

It's really disappoint that there are no plans for improvements regarding graphics. For example more visual options and a better level of detail control, support of 4k resolution. Some months ago they promised us an update on this but nothing happened since then. For example the lod distance is extremely short since version 0.2.122.0. No reaction on this matter, it really doesn't bode well. According to the roadmap we shouldn't expect improvements.

1 hour ago, mikk said:

It's really disappoint that there are no plans for improvements regarding graphics. For example more visual options and a better level of detail control, support of 4k resolution. Some months ago they promised us an update on this but nothing happened since then. For example the lod distance is extremely short since version 0.2.122.0. No reaction on this matter, it really doesn't bode well. According to the roadmap we shouldn't expect improvements.

They already stated they're working on this.

Yes and that's obviously not in the works anymore.

Hi guys,

First post here and I created an account specifically so I could post this note.

Well done on sharing your trello board with the public, I definitely think this goes a LONG way towards visibility and building confidence with the customer base. I would love to see more developers publishing their boards to keep the community involved with their roadmap. I can't tell you how important this is from a "setting expectations" perspective.

Secondly, it would be nice as some other people have mentioned to have some kind of end-game in mind. Perhaps at the centre of each planet would be a "boss" that you would have to dig down into the planet to get to (which you would be doing anyway to get more precious materials) and you have to build enough technology to defeat it. There may need to be a good enough reason to leave that planet after the boss leaves (such as you have 12/24 in-game hours to leave the planet after the boss dies because he/she kept the planet stable and now it's destabilising so it'll blow after that amount of time. Time to pack up your stuff and leave in a ship to another planet and use whatever the boss gave you to fight the next boss or something like that.

In any case, keep up the great work and the community involvement. You're already doing WAY better than "Some Woman's Sea".