Sign in to follow this  
gp.

Old build look

Front part and wheels look awesome, some how more modern/sporty than the current one. And I also like this R2D2-like shuttle way more than the current version :). 

I do product design as my work, and I see the reason for this (at least one reason). 

At first artists do what looks best for them without having technical restrictions. Rover and space in the pictures are such to me. Even though they seem  working models (at least the rover seems to move), they were created to explore possibilities having only one functionality or not at all. 

However, when technical functionality is engineered, the engineer has to consider modularity. For example the truck has now two building slots and the rover has one. Building slots can be equipped with two large objects (research pods) or four small objects (material containers). In order to provide more options, either one has to be done: Design a unique model for each variation or simplify the design. 

At this stage of the game development I see that they have simplified designs to provide flexibility for playing. Later developers surely  introduce more graphic designs but I doubt that it never goes back to such beautifully amorphous style as the early concept designs show.