Peeper69

Improve beacon visibility

Recommended Posts

Can u plz make beacons to where u can see them any where on the planet plz thx

Edited by Wyvyrias
Changed title

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adjusted the title to reflect the suggestion.

I wouldn't say it's impossible to allow you to see the direction of beacons (e.g. integrating it into your compass). ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wyvyrias said:

Adjusted the title to reflect the suggestion.

I wouldn't say it's impossible to allow you to see the direction of beacons (e.g. integrating it into your compass). ^_^

I actually like this Idea alot, it would be very interesting to see what that would look like in game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya, putting them on the compass would work.  The OP's post looks like he meant for them to be visible on the horizon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kantanshi said:

Ya, putting them on the compass would work.  The OP's post looks like he meant for them to be visible on the horizon.

Could also put nearest Hab and nearest Vehicle indicators on the compass too. Would really help when travelling far from your base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KeeblerOrc said:

Hot Key..... Heads Up Display..... Map........ Need I say more.....

I believe the SES team has said that they do not want to put in a HUD system.  I would like it if they did, but right now I'm doubtful they will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kantanshi..... I have read that before but I still believe it needs to be in the game.....  Sometimes people have stupid ideas about what should and should not be in a game.... The Forum is a place to SUGGEST such things.... if the System Era team ask's me to stop suggesting something I will be happy to shut up and leave their product in the dust bet I really believe they would rather have customers.

Need I say more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, KeeblerOrc said:

but I still believe it needs to be in the game

I agree, no argument from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/06/2017 at 10:35 PM, Kantanshi said:

I believe the SES team has said that they do not want to put in a HUD system.  I would like it if they did, but right now I'm doubtful they will.

I personally am against a HUD. I think the SES team have done a great job incorporating the important information into the game without the need for one. Having a blue Oxygen bar and a segmented yellow Power bar on the back of your backpack, for example.

My only complaint is that the compass system needs more detail, and should have a dedicated button that brings it up, both when on foot and in a ground vehicle. As I stated earlier, an indicator on the compass that points the way towards the nearest hub and nearest vehicle would help players spread out more, without fearing getting lost. That's what usually keeps me from travelling too far from home. Yes, I DO use beacons to mark my way, but it's too easy to forget at one point and drive too far to see your last beacon (I am guilty of having done this, and I know a few other players who also have done this too).

A simple colour-coded arrow or pointer on your compass pointing the way home will not in my opinion be gamebreaking, so I hope the team considers doing something like this. It makes sense, from the game lore's point of view. Your little Astroneer has travelled to this brand new solar system, sets down in his habitat, but has not homing beacon his suit can lock on to if he gets separated?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ghostwolf93

I agree.  That's really the only HUD element I'd like added.  Just make it so players can toggle it and it won't mess up the screen for those players that want to keep the UI "clean".  I also use beacons to mark my way home and I agree, it's easy to get distracted in exploration and lose sight of them.  I make arrows with the terrain tool pointing the way back to base and I used to build ramps, sometimes up to the clouds, to get my bearings if I got lost.  Now when I get lost, since I got the hang of it, I just take the seat off my rover and fly the seat up into the air to see where I need to go.  I'm sure that will eventually get fixed and then I'll go back to ramp building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2017 at 9:33 PM, Wyvyrias said:

Adjusted the title to reflect the suggestion.

I wouldn't say it's impossible to allow you to see the direction of beacons (e.g. integrating it into your compass). ^_^

The beacons on the compass could get confusing once you had a few of them. I think the simpler solution would be to wait for the cartography and maps to come out, and simply have them marked on the maps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, [TS]Infernal Crusader said:

I think the simpler solution would be to wait for the cartography and maps to come out, and simply have them marked on the maps.

I honestly do not think maps are going to be added any time soon, if at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, [TS]Infernal Crusader said:

The beacons on the compass could get confusing once you had a few of them.

Please see below, my earlier posting:

On 01/06/2017 at 3:58 PM, Ghostwolf93 said:

Could also put nearest Hab and nearest Vehicle indicators on the compass too. Would really help when travelling far from your base.

So, I'm saying that they should have an indicator pointed towards the NEAREST vehicle and NEAREST hab, not every vehicle and Hab on the planet. That's two indicators maximum. You could go one further and have one for the NEAREST Beacon too, and still only have three indicators. If the indicators are colour-coded (blue for Hab, green for vehicle, red for Beacon for example), then I dont think it would get THAT confusing.

6 hours ago, [TS]Infernal Crusader said:

I think the simpler solution would be to wait for the cartography and maps to come out, and simply have them marked on the maps.

I will be honest here, I don't see that happening. The developers have been aiming to avoid having a HUD (Heads Up Display) for immersion purposes, and having some kind of on-screen map would be too much like a HUD. This is why I suggested the idea of having the indicators on the compass. The compass is not intrusive, it's simply something you can bring up when you need to get your bearings. And I think part of that 'getting your bearings' concept could easily include something to point in the direction of your nearest Vehicle, Hab, and if need be, Beacon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, [TS]Infernal Crusader said:

In their new road map, they specifically listed cartography.

I haven't seen a new road map yet. Do you have a link to it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GeneralClayman said:

>So going to a point that you will only need 1 beacon?

???

What do you mean, "only need 1 beacon?" Where does it say in the previous posts about using only 1 beacon? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

6 hours ago, GeneralClayman said:

That would make it as useless as organic is right now.

I just store my Organic until I can trade it for Compound. Can never have enough Compound, in my opinion. Used for so many different things. Once I've unlocked Filters, I always have my backpack's printer set to Filters with a nugget of Compound in place, ready to print in case of any emergencies involving low Oxygen levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, [TS]Infernal Crusader said:

In their new road map, they specifically listed cartography.

Have looked at the roadmap now. I see what you mean. It's under Backlog though, and has no additional details (though truth be told, most of the items listed under Backlog have no additional details). it does have a green label saying "Encounters/Discoveries", so I'm not sure what they mean by that.

The term Cartography specifically refers to 'the study and practice of making maps' (I looked it up on Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartography). If they do include a map, then that makes me think that you wouldn't have it to begin with, but would have to research it and then film it in by exploring.

Honestly, I just don't know. Could mean they are adding maps, or could mean they are referring to some other means of navigation, and couldn't come up with a more accurate term to convey their intentions. I guess we will just have to wait and see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ghostwolf93 said:

Have looked at the roadmap now. I see what you mean. It's under Backlog though, and has no additional details (though truth be told, most of the items listed under Backlog have no additional details). it does have a green label saying "Encounters/Discoveries", so I'm not sure what they mean by that.

The term Cartography specifically refers to 'the study and practice of making maps' (I looked it up on Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartography). If they do include a map, then that makes me think that you wouldn't have it to begin with, but would have to research it and then film it in by exploring.

Honestly, I just don't know. Could mean they are adding maps, or could mean they are referring to some other means of navigation, and couldn't come up with a more accurate term to convey their intentions. I guess we will just have to wait and see. 

I imagine it is likely going to be something that you have from the get-go, but you have to fill it out by exploring. I'm curious if the 3D planet would change how they draw this map, but I'm excited

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ghostwolf93 said:

???

What do you mean, "only need 1 beacon?" Where does it say in the previous posts about using only 1 beacon? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

I just store my Organic until I can trade it for Compound. Can never have enough Compound, in my opinion. Used for so many different things. Once I've unlocked Filters, I always have my backpack's printer set to Filters with a nugget of Compound in place, ready to print in case of any emergencies involving low Oxygen levels.

By increasing the range of a beacon to a point you can see it on a map you dont need too make beacons anymore. For example : When I go to an expedition trying to find some new research blocks i take 8 beacons with me t ofind the way back. If the range gets increased and / or being seen on the map, I wont use more than 1 beacon because the map is enought to get me back to where I came from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, GeneralClayman said:

By increasing the range of a beacon to a point you can see it on a map you dont need too make beacons anymore. For example : When I go to an expedition trying to find some new research blocks i take 8 beacons with me t ofind the way back. If the range gets increased and / or being seen on the map, I wont use more than 1 beacon because the map is enought to get me back to where I came from.

Oh, now I understand. Thanks for clarifying that.

Edited by Ghostwolf93
Correcting an auto-correction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beacons would still be used to mark special locations.... like the time I found huge resin and compound fields right on top of each other.... and entrances to caves and the like....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding on to this suggestion...

What about a homing beacon? 

Use Case: 

I discover the tasty wreckage of a satellite with operational solar panels. I can make/bring two beacons: 1 marks where I found the panels, the other stays with me. No matter where I am on the map, when I look at the compass, I get a blip for 'home', as long as the paired beacon exists. This would also be helpful for finding your actual Home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now