LittlePD

Turbines need to turn in a storm

Why doesn't the Wind Turbine spin in a storm? The wind is blowing so hard that I have to hide in the habitat to avoid the boulders being blown around. But the turbine is sitting there stagnant. The solar panel works when the sun is out. Why doesn't the turbine work when the wind is blowing?

That's a good question that I don't have an answer for.  Another good question is how do the wind turbines generate power while deep in a cave?

I've never tried to put one up in a cave. I guess my logical side told me they wouldn't work where there was no wind. Silly me!

(I would not make a very good tester!)

Had one on my rover for night time power.  Took it down in the caves with me to collect research and that's how I found out.

Which brings up another valid point: if it's mounted on a moving vehicle, why is it not spinning the whole time the vehicle is moving?

14 hours ago, LittlePD said:

I've never tried to put one up in a cave. I guess my logical side told me they wouldn't work where there was no wind. Silly me!

(I would not make a very good tester!)

15 hours ago, Kantanshi said:

That's a good question that I don't have an answer for.  Another good question is how do the wind turbines generate power while deep in a cave?

To be fair, with the temperature difference between the surface and down in caves, it creates a difference in air pressure causing a rush of air through tunnels, which could be caused from day/night cycles. Probably not too deep down, but close to the surface it makes sense to me.

Hope that makes a logical argument for that question!

On 5/28/2017 at 10:36 AM, LittlePD said:

Which brings up another valid point: if it's mounted on a moving vehicle, why is it not spinning the whole time the vehicle is moving?

Makes vehicle-energy very difficult to balance.

On 5/28/2017 at 0:02 PM, LittlePD said:

Why doesn't the Wind Turbine spin in a storm? The wind is blowing so hard that I have to hide in the habitat to avoid the boulders being blown around. But the turbine is sitting there stagnant. The solar panel works when the sun is out. Why doesn't the turbine work when the wind is blowing?

They don't spin because it's too windy.  Wind turbines shut down and stop when winds exceed their design limit,  usually around 60mph or so.

Want to see what happens if they don't?

I've seen wind in caves, in part because I've seen a huge cavern whose top breached the surface.  I've even seen storm-blocks when I thought I was in a cave (I ran deeper back into the protected cave.)

On 6/10/2017 at 1:15 PM, JohnSmith666 said:

Makes vehicle-energy very difficult to balance.

Very true. On planets like the Terran especially. But on the moon, it wouldn't be a problem. There would be no spinning whatsoever.