Dear developers, dear moderators. @SES_Adam, @SES_Zabir 

In the login screen of Astroneer you say, that this is a Pre-alpha of the game and that you would appreciate some feedback in the forum. Well, I like the game so here is my feedback for you.

Before I tell you how I felt during my 10 hours (11 if you count the demo) in the beautiful world of Astroneer, let me introduce myself.

Spoiler

A am a male, 24 years old, German-speaking guy who just finished his Bachelor in Business IT.
Back in the days, when I bought my first console (a XBOX 360) I spent a lot of time playing Call of Duty, Fifa and other mainstream games. While I always liked to try out new games like Far Cry, Just Cause, Mirrors Edge etc. I always had the focus on shooter-games. The last two years this focus shifted and I played a lot of The Elder Scrolls Online. In the last few weeks I started to get bored of this MMO and looked for a new game to play. I tried out a few things but nothing got me really interested (except Player Unknown Battlegrounds, but it will take a few months before this comes to console), until I saw Astroneer in the XBOX store. At first I thought this was a bad copy of No Man’s sky, which I was hyped for and sadly did not make it to XBOX. But after remembering the release-fiasco of No Man’s sky, I figured Astroneer could not be worse. Thanks to the free 60 min demo, I decided to give it a go – and I immediately fell in love. At this point I spent about 7 hours (plus 1 demo-hour) in Astroneer on my console and about 3 hours on my girlfriend’s console to show her the game.
But enough about me, lets jump back into the feedback.

Table of Feedback:

1. Description of the game
  2. Publicity
  3. Forum
  4. The Demo
  5. The Game
    1. Story & Immersion
    2. Exploration
    3. Controls
    4. Multiplayer
  6. Saving game files
  7. Conclusion

1: Description of the game.

Spoiler

I like the description of Astroneer in the XBOX store. The game is about exploration and the description does not spoil any of that. Even without doing so, it manages to give a pretty adequate information about what the game is about and what you are going to do. It also describes the eye-catching features of Astroneer (e.g. procedural generated planets which can be completely remodeled) without exaggerating. Good Job!

2: Info’s & Publicity

Spoiler

Before I even started the demo, I wanted to get a few more Info’s about the game – more than stated in the description (which by all means is fine as is). So I did what everyone would do: I asked google. To be honest, I did not spend too much time on research, but most articles I found were older than January 2017. This is too old for a Pre-alpha game. I asked Google how big the universe of Astroneer is and if you are able to pilot spaceships around a planet (like a plane) and in space or if it is all automatically done.
Regarding the universe, I learned, that (in January) there were 6 planets and they were eventually expanding the universe later. But I still do not know if that happened until today or if it is ever going to happen. Similar I only saw in a YouTube video that someone seemed to be able to pilot his spaceship in space.
What I want to say is, that I would expect to find a lot more up to date articles about Astroneer. Let us know what you are working on and what you vision is for the future. Give us a timeline. Do some publicity with that info. That helps you increasing your player base. I would appreciate it.

3: Forum

Spoiler

I did not spend too much time in the forum yet, but I like it from what I saw. I especially liked the calendar which show upcoming events (if there were any). The build of the website is good, The forum looks good as well…

4: The Demo

Spoiler

Considering the demo is exactly what you get in the game, there is not much to say about that. Most points will be addressed in point 5 (The Game). In point 5.2 I will talk about the fact that there is no tutorial. I like that, it is the reason I love this game. Exploring what exists in this world and how you can use different things you find makes the game so good (my opinion). On the other hand, in a 60 min demo you might be able to attract more people if you give them an easier start. Anything you do about that would be fine.
It would also be nice if you could carry the progress you make in the demo to your actual game after you buy it.

5: The Game

5.1: Story & Immersion

Spoiler

The story of this game is too short. I get it, you are a lone wolf which is looking for richness by finding rare materials in the 25th century. That is too short in my opinion. Create a story to this game. And introduce this story you create in a short “trailer” at the beginning of the game. Let us know what is going on without having to read it. What was the world before, was it the world as we know it? What happened between now and 25th century? Why am I all by myself... You get what I mean right?

The immersion on the other hand is very good. The fact that there is no tutorial and you have to figure out all by yourself gives you the feeling to actually learn something and to progress in the game. Once again: well done!

5.2: Exploration

Spoiler

As mentioned before, for me, exploration is the greatest thing in this game. There is two things to explore:

• The world
  • The crafting/Items

I really like how the world is shaped. It looks a bit like a non-boring Minecraft. And I like the fact that you find materials commonly. Exploring does not feel as if the game is trying to restrict you and/or slow you down. That is good. The bad thing is, that you have to carry big stuff by hand and that that slows you down quite a bit. I guess I have to find a way to craft some king of vehicle (don’t spoil anything here please).

The crafting is another thing you have to explore. What materials can you find, what can you do with it etc. I like the fact that the game does not help you out with this. You have to realize things by yourself. But I miss a little explanation about what certain things might be. I sometimes can craft something but do not know what it is. I would really like a short explanation/description. Just say what it is but please do not say what it does. Keep the exploration-aspect you created.

5.3: Controls

Spoiler

I can only speak about the controls on the XBOX One, but to be honest: those are not intuitive controls. Normally you use you’re A-button to select things. In Astroneer you use your “shoot-button” on the back of the controller. If you want to run you have to press down the left joystick and keep it pressed down – damn my thumb hurts after a few hours of playing. Yes, I got used to it, but I still feel like a lot of buttons are not used while others are wrongly placed. Please introduce us the possibility to change the keys. Let everybody choose for himself how he wants to setup his controls.

5.4: Multiplayer

Spoiler

After No man’s sky got this big hype a few years ago, I really admire you to decide to have no weapons and no competitive playing in this game. I think this was a very brave decision and I am very glad you did. I am also glad that you have a feature that lets you play with your friend. It gives the game a social aspect. Sadly I was not able to find that feature yet. Is it not introduced to XBOX yet? Has it something to do with what I will be saying in point 6 about gamefiles? That (point 6) is actually the biggest issue I have with the game. If the lack of multiplayer has to do with this please address it rather soon than late.

6: Saving game files

Spoiler

This is an issue only console-players have. But for us, it is a very big issue. If you change console (because your old one broke), you do not want to restart a game from the beginning. Especially not if you had to invest tons of hours to reach something (and this is one of those games). This point could really make you lose customers. Give us an option to save our game files. I really expected this to be in the game. When I started the game at my gf’s house, I wanted to show her what I did. I logged in with my account, downloaded the game but I had to start from scratch. This is really bad and should be first priority in my opinion. Let us save our gamefiles to your server, or if you do not want to do that, let us save them into a cloud, but give us an option to do so.

7: Conclusion

Spoiler

I love this game. I can’t say it enough, it is great! There might be bugs and features I miss, but it is a Pre-Alpha. And because I love it so much, I also care about it. If I could change something on the spot I would introduce the saving of game files online. I sadly cannot do that, but you can.
I would appreciate if you would communicate a bit more with your fans. Give us a timeline, let us know what you are working on and what features we can expect next. Do more publicity and hype this game a bit more, it deserves it! But most important (well, second most important, game files still are first place), keep the exploration aspect of the game as it is. I love it!

PLEASE NOTE:
As I stated above, I only spent a few hours in this game and I love the exploration aspect. So if I got something wrong here or did not realize some mechanics yet, please do NOT teach me better. I want to find out by myself. I will open other threads in this forum. Expect there is a way to save game files on console. If so, please let me know.

I might have done a few typos. If you find any, keep it.

Feedback after 10 hours (give or take) of playing on my XBOX One.
Date: 24th May 2017
Pre-alpha build: 0.3.10158.0

this is really cool stuff to see, and really appreciate you organizing as such! Gonna take a deeper dive a bit later.

On 5/24/2017 at 10:45 AM, silverhammer92 said:

The bad thing is, that you have to carry big stuff by hand and that that slows you down quite a bit. I guess I have to find a way to craft some king of vehicle (don’t spoil anything here please).

All I will say is: Keep playing B|.

I'm pretty sure multiplayer on consoles will eventually come. It appears they haven't implemented any UI for it in the game itself - here on PC, we actually have to join the game via Steam. They're probably trying to work out the bugs before pushing for a wider release.

Thanks for the replies.

I kept playing for at least another 10 hours and got around the carring problem (finally). ^^

I might give another feedback if i gather enough point to make a thread like this viable again. But I am currently on vacation and want to dive deeper into the game first...

I appreciate that you appreciate it. :-)

P.s. still love it. A part of me wants the vacation to be over soon - lol.

The game should save on your Xbox and the cloud as it is a play anywhere title so you can play it on a win10 pc.  Also there is co op play through your friends list.

11 hours ago, TrojanSteel said:

The game should save on your Xbox and the cloud as it is a play anywhere title so you can play it on a win10 pc.  Also there is co op play through your friends list.

Interesting...

When I (ingame).go on the highest mountain around my base, I can see a base far away from mine. I somehow hoped that this is my base I startet at my girlfriends home. But hence I could not load my savefile at my gf house and the one I startet there at my home, i did not think that would be it. Still seems strange to me..