So, what do you think?

Of the game as a whole so far?

Putting some of the more critical bugs aside, how has everyone's experience been so far? Having a blast? Are you liking the art style?

I am just curious to what other people are feeling about Astroneers.

I personally adore this game already. As of launch it is buggy, but the content so far is very solid. The art style is out of this world! Pun intended! So, what do YOU think?

The art style is simple and great. I'm a pretty big fan of it. It looks pretty without going for the ultra-realistic style of most games these days. Overall, I've got about ten hours into this game and am still pretty excited about it. I'm hoping for frequent and regular updates that add more buildings and technology to keep it from getting boring as well as some general improvements to the tools available. I can't wait for more planets and systems to explore with different terrain and vegetation or perhaps life to appear on them. And water. 

It's a good game with great potential.

1 hour ago, eightnine said:

The art style is simple and great. I'm a pretty big fan of it. It looks pretty without going for the ultra-realistic style of most games these days. Overall, I've got about ten hours into this game and am still pretty excited about it. I'm hoping for frequent and regular updates that add more buildings and technology to keep it from getting boring as well as some general improvements to the tools available. I can't wait for more planets and systems to explore with different terrain and vegetation or perhaps life to appear on them. And water. 

It's a good game with great potential.

Amen to that!

I think it's great.  It runs smooth for me, no issues with FPS whatsoever. 

There has been a lot of stuff to explore and I'm having fun figuring everything out.  I see a lot of threads where people seem to forget what Early Access means, and instead of giving constructive feedback, the poster will give a bad review.  I'm really excited to see what's added to this game.  I don't think much should change fundamentally, I like all the mechanics of the game so far.

The only bug I've encountered so far is the one where after using the rover, sometimes your backpack contents will be offset from your pack.

Another small criticism is that when you leave the shuttle, if it's parked in front of the vehicle bay, then I get stuck sometimes, but the game usually pops me over to the side and I can move.

I've got to see if there's a way to move the shuttle from the vehicle bay.

Thanks for starting a positive thread.

6 minutes ago, Bodega said:

I think it's great.  It runs smooth for me, no issues with FPS whatsoever. 

There has been a lot of stuff to explore and I'm having fun figuring everything out.  I see a lot of threads where people seem to forget what Early Access means, and instead of giving constructive feedback, the poster will give a bad review.  I'm really excited to see what's added to this game.  I don't think much should change fundamentally, I like all the mechanics of the game so far.

The only bug I've encountered so far is the one where after using the rover, sometimes your backpack contents will be offset from your pack.

Another small criticism is that when you leave the shuttle, if it's parked in front of the vehicle bay, then I get stuck sometimes, but the game usually pops me over to the side and I can move.

I've got to see if there's a way to move the shuttle from the vehicle bay.

Thanks for starting a positive thread.

I fully agree the art style is great and the fundamentals are brilliant as they are , looking forward to see where it goes and I'm loving playing it ??? ! 

Enjoying it so far. Figuring out everything and discovering more and more stuff.

I found myself holding my breath when I was running out of oxygen which means that is quite immersive for me :V 

Like you said above the contents and the mechanics are already very solid and works in a logical way

My only critic would be on the rover controls with keyboard/mouse is quite confusing, I alway switch with my controller for now which feels nicer,  but hey this is an early access !

Can't wait for more content to drop but please take your time System Era : D !!!

3 minutes ago, Machine monkey said:

I fully agree the art style is great and the fundamentals are brilliant as they are , looking forward to see where it goes and I'm loving playing it ??? ! 

I see a lot of bad suggestions from people that claim to have reached end-game in "2 hours, what gives!?" and then talking to them I realize that they've never left the terran planet.  Yet they have all these ideas on how to "fix" the game.  I just hope ERA Systems continues with their vision and doesn't deviate.  The game is super early and I think that for an early access title, it's been a fun experience.

13 minutes ago, Bodega said:

I see a lot of bad suggestions from people that claim to have reached end-game in "2 hours, what gives!?" and then talking to them I realize that they've never left the terran planet.  Yet they have all these ideas on how to "fix" the game.  I just hope ERA Systems continues with their vision and doesn't deviate.  The game is super early and I think that for an early access title, it's been a fun experience.

I fully agree again , possibilities are nearly endless ! Just planet exploration alone , then you leave set up again and jump between planets ....... it just goes on , the only limit is your imagination ! I hope like you that they stick to there vision for the game , it's going in a great direction ? !

This is, without doubt, amongst the most awe-inspiring and engrossing games I have ever played (I started gaming ~30 years ago, by the way). The fact that this is classified "pre-alpha" simply amazes me. If this is pre-alpha, then what the hell is the game going to be when it's completed!?

I have never been happier to part with US$20, not even for beer.

Much love to the guys at System Era. They're creating a new benchmark in the space email/survival genre. Heck, it already IS a new benchmark in the space exploration/survival genre.

51 minutes ago, ASHTRONEER said:

This is, without doubt, amongst the most awe-inspiring and engrossing games I have ever played (I started gaming ~30 years ago, by the way). The fact that this is classified "pre-alpha" simply amazes me. If this is pre-alpha, then what the hell is the game going to be when it's completed!?

Much love to the guys at System Era. They're creating a new benchmark in the space email/survival genre. Heck, it already IS a new benchmark in the space exploration/survival genre.

I'm the same I'm 48 and been gaming for nearly 30yrs and this game is brilliant , such a great way to get involved early ??? ! 

Edited by Machine monkey

51 minutes ago, ASHTRONEER said:

I'm the same I'm 48 and Nero gaming for nearly 30yrs and this game is brilliant , such a great way to get involved early ??? ! 

I felt like I experienced most of the content in about 16 hours, and to me, an enjoyable experience lasting that long is worth $20. So it already justified the price tag.

It has only crashed for me once. And besides some frame rate hitching and slower fps the longer you play, it's been really stable. I know not everyone has that experience though. 

There's still a lot I want to explore, experiment, and test, but I'm mostly curious to see what directions the developers take this game. 

The 2 things that I think need to be fixed gameplay wise as soon as possible. First making the vehicles more a better experience, I hate hitting a rock every 5 seconds when trying to travel between bases, there's already enough terrain hazards like caves and cliffs to worry about. And second, something that really forces you to go to other planets, like the main planet lacking resources to complete the tech tree. 

the game got me good. i hope the DEVs don't get too stressed with all the work they have in front of them. 

This game will have good days ... and bad days for the devs. Let's hope their manager comes up with a good strategy to keep the team motivated to create and the players motivated to come back. I wouldn't mind to pay 5€ every now and then for a good DLC. 

I am 12h in and still very excited. :-)

As pre alpha the state and potential of this little masterpiece of game design with the brilliant art style is so awesome.
I startet 3 times to optimize my progress and base layout with more insight in the game mechanics.
Left the planet once, but only in the shuttle. Want the large ship to build a new base without leaving too much behind.

While outfitting a truck with equipment for a longer exploration tour, I felt like "the martian" :D

I was blown away when I discovered that I can take a fully loaded 2x4 vertical storage module of my rover and put it on the side mount of the printer (or other buildings) and it unfolds to a nice flat storage with all mats on it. These small design ideas making good games awesome. 9_9
I like the energy management and that I can put some modules from backpack to rover to base and all stay functional. So awesome...

Looking forward to new modules and technologies and have no problem to start over and over again. :)
Hoping for a bit improvement in base layouts with angular snap and other things... but hey... pre alpha and very well polished so far.

Had only one crash an a few frame rate issues. (from 60 down to 40) because one core of my Intel i7 6800k was at 100%.
Otherwise the CPU load has been around 30-50% and the overclocked 1080GTX worked around 30% load most of the times.

I've played this awesome game now for about 15 hrs and I've got to say it's the best $20 I've ever spent on Steam. I feel like a kid again with a big box of Lego's. :D

Thanks to the developers for this awesome game, it's only gonna get better and smoother. Pretty great as is though.

Totally in love with this game.  Haven't been this addicted to a game in years.  Have been watching the development of this title since it first went public.  I had high hopes for this game and am not disappointed.  Simple and brilliant.

I love it and it is everything I had hoped for. Clocked over 30hrs since Friday morning and have been doing playtesting in various ways with detailed note taking and video capture. The current Beta Build v2.100 on steam is the most stable single player experience since release.

Multiplayer simply needs some hotfixing as it is very unstable at this time. To the point I probably won't play more accept to test it. 

Edited by Secret Squirrel

It's great! I can't believe this is pre-alpha. Everything works. Okay, it's not perfect, but it works. I hope some of the quirkiness is preserved as well, it's fun.

- First of all... THE SOUNDS ARE AMAZING. This is such a personal gripe, but I have to place this on top. Man... All those little clicks, beeps, noises, none... zero of them, are annoying. It all fits nicely in the soundscape, has the right volume, somebody knows what they're doing. I hope more music, more background ambient is added, as it is a bit monotone atm. 

- I love the atmosphere, they really nailed it. The lighting is good. But I would enjoy better rendering distance, or a representation of player placed lights when in low LOD. 

- The deform tool is one of the best gaming additions since... I don't know when. I remember Red Faction that kinda had the same deformation. But this level of freedom is unprecedented. And I haven't even made a dick yet... which says a lot about how this game is keeping me busy not thinking about drawing virtual dicks. As would be appropriate in every other game.

But yes, great game, really nice to see such a fun platform to build this game on. 

Love the game thus far. It has its bugs (often hilarious) but it looks great, sounds great, and the freedom to do as you want!

I mean, check this out:

S6duTY0.gif

When I first noticed that the small solar panels snap to the sun when it rises, I sorta squee'd.

And yesterday, my friend and I had bases on opposite sides of the planet we were on, and I decided to pull an impromptu mark watney. (that is, except for a vehicle or any sense of where I was headed) I picked a direction at random and began my journey to find the second base on foot. i had 3 tanks, a battery, and my trusty hoover. After quite a lengthy period of running in mostly the same direction and stopping only to hoover some blue, occasionally, quite desperate for air... I ran into a rather sprawling line of tethers i had setup earlier at the second base, much to my relief. For if I had not, I would have passed the base entirely. But what a journey! numerous wrecks, gorgeous vistas, the occasional impossible blue/gold spire. (it's floating! on nothing! (must be alien tech))

I'll go to the bugs section(s) before I begin to enumerate those here, but despite them, I enjoyed myself immensely. I look forward to the dedicated servers, and whatever content y'all have left to create! If you want ideas, I have some, but otherwise, I would prefer to see what you build upon, since what you have thus far is more precious than blue. i mean gold. no, i mean blue. that stuff is life-saving.

This game is amazing!  For being an Alpha I am very pleased with the game so far! I haven't really ran into any really bad bugs yet, the one bug that I keep getting is when you are filling in a hole you get trapped in it.  But other than that, the art style is awesome!  I feel like the art style of this game is what makes it so enjoyable to explore and cave dive! 

4 minutes ago, ThisGameSucks said:

THIS GAME SUCKS CUZ IT'S LAGGY AND OPTIMIZED WITH SHIT

10/10 SHITPOST. LEARN TO READ. EARLY ACCESS: PRE ALPHA.

See I can do all caps also. Troll.

34 minutes ago, ThisGameSucks said:

THIS GAME SUCKS CUZ IT'S LAGGY AND OPTIMIZED WITH SHIT

Do you have any suggestions on how we can make the game better? Improvements or ideas?