Use for Astronium (Nuclear Power)

I was mining astronium today and I thought of a use for it. Basically, for two resin you can add a platform to your base. This platform is researchable and will be named "Nuclear Reactor" or something like that. It will look similar to the fuel condenser, but it will have two small cooling towers and a place to input your astronium. Once you input your astronium, the reactor will output power for 5 - 10 minutes. If your batteries are full and all items in the base are charged the reactor will stop so that way you don't waste your rare astronium. When the reactor is activated the cooling towers will emit a smoke partical effect. This platform could inlude many other details such as a generator looking object in the middle with a slot for your astronium. There will be wires and other details such as levers on this small box, and to the sides there will be the two cooling towers, see the picture for details. (I know I'm not the best artist but you might be able ot get a good idea of what I'm talking about. A fun thing to add could be a meltdown or overheat/overload. During one of those there will be an alarm sound effect and red flashing lights. This will occur rarely, and if you don't shut down the reactor after about 15 seconds it will shut down and empty all the power from your base. Nuclear power can lead to consequences, ya know.

InkedASTRONEER-Fuel-Condenser-01_LI.jpg

• 1 month later...

it could possibly be powered as well by those useless marbles you find every where, me and my father have just started collecting all we find for the heck of it

I like your microsoft paint skills being used for making a 10/10 nuclear reactor, but I hope Astronium wont be used to power something to make energy. We already got about 5 different energy sources so I don't think we need more of those ingame. IMO it could be used for a better spaceship to explore other solar systems with when those are added later in the game.

I just think some radioactive material needs to be added into the game as an new material. Like Uranium for example. It could be green looking and give off hazardous radiation. So maybe a radiation suit could be added or you just have to stay a good distance back when collecting them. 

1 hour ago, TayTayBerryman said:

I just think some radioactive material needs to be added into the game as an new material. Like Uranium for example. It could be green looking and give off hazardous radiation. So maybe a radiation suit could be added or you just have to stay a good distance back when collecting them. 

That would be sick if radiation damage and shielding would be added to the game. Might change the Radiant poison storm to a radioactive one.

• 1 month later...

Here's my take on the idea - You would have two separate little towers, both vastly different. The first platform tower thingy would be a chamber where Uranium is extracted from Astronium. It should be something like a 2:1 ratio for Astro to Uranium. The second platform would be the reactor, which has a power storage of 20 bars, and it should make around 4.5 power bars/min, and it runs for approximately 5 minutes, resulting in 22.5 power bars, just more than enough to fill the 20 bar buffer. To keep the reactor from overheating, you should have some sort of reagent like Water or Ice and that should cool the reactor, with ports for it on two side towers on the actual reactor, if you catch my drift. Also, to increase output and time, you should have an ability to put a secondary fuel source, like Organic or Coal. While running, the reactor could have a radiation radius of up to 10 feet, and there's also an emergency shutdown switch for the rare case of a meltdown when you run out of coolant, you would have 15 or so seconds to shutoff the reactor or something like draining all the power would happen. With Organic, you would get +1.5 power bars/min, and with Coal you would get +3.0 power bars/min, with each adding 1 minute to generation time.

TLDR:

1. 2 platform stations, one for getting uranium from Astro, one for making power

2. Reaction runs for 5 minutes and gens 4.5 power/min while supplied with only Uranium

3. Coolant needed to prevent meltdowns, and emergency shutdown switch to stop a reactor during meltdowns

4. Secondary fuels being Organic and Coal, Organic adding 1.5 power/min, Coal adding 3.0 power/min and both adding 1 minute to generation time, and only one slot for secondary fuel

5. Radiation causes damage, and exists in a 10 foot circle

Extras

1. Uranium slowly drains HP while in Backpack or within 2ft of it

2. You can make the Uranium Conversion Chamber (yes, thats it's name) with 2 Aluminum

3. You can make the Reactor with a mix of Titanium and Aluminum

4. Radiation suit made in medium printer with two Rubber, made from smelting Resin (1:1 ratio of course)

thx i guess

Edited by XxSonic4xX