Timothy Truman

Not running after W10 update - Looks like Unreal Engine error

I'm getting this error  ..... Couldn't start: "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\ASTRONEER Early Access\Astro\Binaries\Win64\Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe" CreateProcess() returned c1.

Running on WIN10 Eval copy 16193.rs_prerelease.170507-1300

Anyway. thought you'd like to know. It's the only unreal engine game I have that does this. Been this way since around 5/12/17.

Same problem here:
Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe" CreateProcess() returned c1

Windows 10 Insider Preview 16199.1000 (rs_prerelease)

Have you tried adding the game folder to the exclusion list in your antivirus program?  Maybe try disabling the antivirus then reinstall the game and try starting it up?  Possibly need to allow it in the W10 firewall?  Maybe try going to this site and running a check?  https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, Kantanshi said:

Have you tried adding the game folder to the exclusion list in your antivirus program?  Maybe try disabling the antivirus then reinstall the game and try starting it up?  Possibly need to allow it in the W10 firewall?  Maybe try going to this site and running a check?  https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

I've tried all of that and it still crashes.  The Windows Store version of the game runs perfectly BTW.

3 minutes ago, Nargg said:

The Windows Store version of the game runs perfectly BTW.

I've only played the Steam version.  Never had a crash or a problem running the game.  All over the forum I see Xbox players having problems with flying cars and such and Windows store players having issues even getting the game to run.  Not saying I don't run into bugs, but nothing that breaks the game.  I can only speculate and try to apply research I've done for other games to try to help.  I just hope SES can get these problems fixed soon for people so they can all enjoy the game.

Me and most are using an Windows Insider Early release. Now I'm not speaking for everyone but you should have some tech savvy to be running slow, & especially fast ring on the Windows insider program. Saying that, I've researched the error and have only come up with incidences of it on Unreals sight in a dev topic related to the general error. My bet is it's a scaleing issue as that what seems to plague most of the pre releases on my end. I have an older CPU but it's well into the recommended portion of the user curve. i5 3570K 16G RAM EVGA GTX 1070 OC.

I'm sure it's something they missed that'll come to all of us if the Win10 Pre releases that have caused this get pushed to the general public.

All the other Unreal engine goodies work on my system through steam. So again I think it's something that's just missed and not enough users to put it at the top of the list.

Bummer it was one of my favs of the 100's of steam games I can't stop buying... http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972344714/

Edited by Timothy Truman

Thanks for the input Timothy, I'll search more on the unreal sites.  Since the game crashes very early on it's load cycle, it doesn't even get to the graphics change before it crashes.  I'm betting it's probably a simple C++ real time compiler issue, caused by a change in the Insider builds.  Or a .NET call to the graphics driver that's not quite ironed out the bugs yet.

My apologies.  I made an error in my last statement.  I didn't know at the time that when people said Windows Insider that they were talking about experimental Windows releases.  I don't run the newest Windows version so I didn't realize.  I usually stick with "tried and true" versions that have the least amount of incompatibilities. 

I've tried everything i could think of with no result. 
Please investigate this issue.
I bet it will be gone with small configuration fix.

Here's the thing.  When you decided to use experimental versions of Windows, you agreed to use an OS that is going to have software conflicts.  An OS that is going to change frequently with updates.  SES is building this game with Unreal which runs from a stable version of Windows.  You can not expect them to keep on top of every new experimental version of Windows and work on the bugs they currently have with stable versions of Windows  They would get nowhere advancing their game.  People using Windows Insider are a very small portion of the market, you can not expect every software company to try to keep up with the constant changes.  Case in point, the original poster was using version 16193 on May 15th and the next person to post on May 19th is using 16199.

Ok, the Insider Windows 10 version released this week will fix this.  Astroneer Steam version works now.