enderman

Planets with water and magma

I think planets with water and magma (or lava) could be good, since with water you could put fish or other water animals and the lava (or magma) could be underground or in volcanoes maybe. (Sorry if something is spelled wrong because I'm Brazilian and I'm writing in google translate)

Can't wait for this awesome content. As I guess, when liquid physics is implemented, there is nothing to keep devs from creating such goodies. <excited><waiting impatiently>

Edited by gp.

3 minutes ago, gp. said:

Can't wait for this awesome content. As I guess, when liquid physics is implemented, there is nothing to keep devs from creating such goodies. <excited><waiting impatiently>

I'd be cautious about the liquid physics. It may end up being a mainly static layer. Simulating water is a rather performance intensive process. Without a high-end PC, you'd be look at really bad numbers every time larger quantities of water are being simulated.

Though of course it'll depend on the details of said simulation...and that could be adjusted with the settings.

Yeah, I can imagine. I think about a quasi-simulation, sth like in Minecraft, but I know - the geometry of Astroneer world is incredibly more complex.

Hasn't SES said that some of the problems with floating objects/vehicles come from trying to adapt the Unreal Engine, made for a flat world, to a spherical one? As @Wyvyrias said, static liquids could be relatively easy to implement but non-static liquids would be one hell of headache to get working right.

I love the idea of adding water, but maybe adding it in the way y'all are talking about isn't even necessary. Instead of actual water (ponds, lakes, oceans, etc.) why not just add a new material, Water Crystals? It could be modeled almost exactly like Hyrdazine. It forms in the same crystals as hydrazine and when you collect it, it is stored in a canister. Then this could be used as a vital item to the hunger situation (if they ever add that into the game.). You could use it to facilitate farms or maybe even cool off some new generator (nuclear...?). I think that would be a very unique way that water could be easily implemented into the game. 

2 hours ago, TayTayBerryman said:

I love the idea of adding water, but maybe adding it in the way y'all are talking about isn't even necessary. Instead of actual water (ponds, lakes, oceans, etc.) why not just add a new material, Water Crystals?

That's right, but wouldn't it be weird that water appears on the planet only in it's solid state? It would be nice to see rains powering lakes, pump stations providing water to your base etc.

Edited by gp.

If the engine cannot meet the performance needs of the game maybe it's time for a new engine ?