Health system in the form of armor suggestion

My idea is to have an armor bar right above the oxygen bar, you can call it health or whatever I really don't care. To me it makes since as armor or the suits dependability. If your suit gets to far damaged(the bar is fully empty) you die(makes sense because if your suit degrades in space you run out of oxygen and therefore you would die). This would also make sense for the later update that they are thinking about doing with other hazards and hostiles. You take damage from plants or fall damage and the armor bar goes down and slowly regenerates over time or you can have a button to repair it or use resources to repair it. I know this has been suggested in a couple different ways. I read through them but they are typically saying take oxygen away or use health. The game doesn't have to make sense but it would be better if it did, hint why I'm saying armor. Let me know your thoughts. Is it a good idea? would you like to see this? Would you do anything different? 

Isn't that basically the same as

and

...?

As we can see, this is quite a controversial topic. Some people would love it and some agree that it would kind of not fit the style of the game. Given that Astroneer is basically an exploration game, the focus doesn't exactly lie on combat or things that intend to kill you. Right now it's more of a "avoid dangers or die"-system that's still slightly forgiving, as the "health" regenerates fairly quickly. Integrating a health bar of any sort would give the player more a feeling of being endangered.

Personally I would like this kind of thing, but it would have to be linked with a survival/hardcore mode feature to work well for everyone.

4 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

Isn't that basically the same as

and

...?

As we can see, this is quite a controversial topic. Some people would love it and some agree that it would kind of not fit the style of the game. Given that Astroneer is basically an exploration game, the focus doesn't exactly lie on combat or things that intend to kill you. Right now it's more of a "avoid dangers or die"-system that's still slightly forgiving, as the "health" regenerates fairly quickly. Integrating a health bar of any sort would give the player more a feeling of being endangered.

Personally I would like this kind of thing, but it would have to be linked with a survival/hardcore mode feature to work well for everyone.

+1

2 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

As we can see, this is quite a controversial topic. Some people would love it and some agree that it would kind of not fit the style of the game. Given that Astroneer is basically an exploration game, the focus doesn't exactly lie on combat or things that intend to kill you. Right now it's more of a "avoid dangers or die"-system that's still slightly forgiving, as the "health" regenerates fairly quickly. Integrating a health bar of any sort would give the player more a feeling of being endangered.

I'm just saying this idea as far as making more sense of the game. It's not adding combat style(not to me at least), but I could see how someone could think that. I think of it as your suit gets damaged naturally so you should see that and to me you should have to repair it. The main thing is really the repair aspect for my idea making more of the game be a realistic sense. Thanks for the feedback. 

I don't think that the survival aspect is something that Astroneer needs to focus on. There are plenty of other games that do that, albeit with different styles, but Astroneer to me is more about base building, resource management and exploration. Perhaps suit augmentations to deal with radiation, cold, heat etc ala No Man's Sky but I don't think armor is something we really need.

23 minutes ago, James Lyle said:

I don't think that the survival aspect is something that Astroneer needs to focus on. There are plenty of other games that do that, albeit with different styles, but Astroneer to me is more about base building, resource management and exploration. Perhaps suit augmentations to deal with radiation, cold, heat etc ala No Man's Sky but I don't think armor is something we really need.

I concur. Is there really a point having yet another Minecraft clone but with different planets and much prettier graphics?

One of the guiding principles at SES seems to have as little interface as possible. If a player has to think that a hostile plant/animal has an attack level of 3 but his armor is only level 2 and he will therefore take [formula] damage, that doesn't seem to fit with the KISS game philosophy.

1 hour ago, Eoghan said:

I concur. Is there really a point having yet another Minecraft clone but with different planets and much prettier graphics?

One of the guiding principles at SES seems to have as little interface as possible. If a player has to think that a hostile plant/animal has an attack level of 3 but his armor is only level 2 and he will therefore take [formula] damage, that doesn't seem to fit with the KISS game philosophy.

Think this is being a little dramatic with what I was saying. And they are going to have to change up the interface if they follow the road map because it says they are looking at adding hunger in the game. 

Look at the roadmap: https://trello.com/b/UoZgKrd3/astroneer-road-map-planning 

• farming and hunger-based gameplay
  • survival mechanics, difficulty
  • weather systems
  • aggressive fauna
  • planetary considerations (hot, radiation, freezing, gas, etc.)
  • water (pretty lakes/rivers or obstacles we have to overcome? it's not clear)

Do we really need armor on top of it?

We already have an oxygen bar, at some point we'll have a hunger bar. Planetary conditions will become a factor too (another bar indicate radiation poisoning or ???).

My comments are not about an armor bar per se, but how many bars we need before it becomes too many bars?

Done commenting in this thread.

To avoid a UI, as the SES team desires, everything has to have an indicator on the backpack.  There's only so much room available before it becomes some behemoth you have strapped to your back.

1 hour ago, Kantanshi said:

To avoid a UI, as the SES team desires, everything has to have an indicator on the backpack.  There's only so much room available before it becomes some behemoth you have strapped to your back.

i just don't see how they are going to not have to add another bar of some sort with the direction of where their road map(even if it's outdated) is leading.