Theboyblunder82

New research only has items

The very first research item I opened only had compound in it, I noticed that around half of the new types of unknowns I research only contains items, the unknowns that do contain blueprints I can research a couple of times before they revert to items as per latest patch notes.

Rather than create a new thread, I think my 158 experience is best appended here.

I've been in game for two days (probably a combined 12-16 hours of game time)

It seems that the research algorithm may be powered base or exponential...  In the early stages of researching, items come comfortably quick.  Not too fast, not too slow.

However, it feels that obtaining the end of the random blueprint spectrum is neary impossible.  I've circled the world, as well as gone to great depths within the caverns.

I have a truck with a tethered rover that I use to return 9 unknowns from each outting (both vehicles are outfitted with a storage platform).

I've probably researched in the upper spectrum of 50 unknowns now with no additional blueprints since my last BP finding.

I've found so many zebra & checker balls in the caverns that I just run past them now, as they serve no purpose other than being easter eggs.

I cannot make:

• battery (not really needed, as I've found so many from dead explorers that I have a whole storage panel full of them
  • Oxygen tank (same as with battery, I've found so many, I don't need the BP)
  • Shuttle
  • Spaceship
  • Trade Platform
  • vehicle 3 seat

I have a huge base with double rows of storage panels just to hold all the items I've been "rewarded" from unknowns.  Titanium & LIthium really aren't rare because I've obtained soo many from Unknowns and have no use for them while I'm stuck on Terra.

I know the devs are working on the Research system to make it challenging enough to keep playing, but this is a bit too difficult.  I've spent the last 6 hours only carring about getting my shuttle/spaceship so I can find the paddle for my lost rover in the caverns...  Starting to loose interest, as I have no other objective to accomplish (like building bases on every planet).

I've returned every unique looking "Unknown" I can find, and now there is nothing different from what I've already brought back to base.

Is there some Unknown hiding spot, like under a particular plant or obelisk, that I'm missing?

20170507180707_1.jpg

Edited by BlueJ3di

Spaceship and shuttle are the easiest to get really.  Just to make sure it still is after the recent update, I started a new game and recorded the attempt from initial landing.  I'll post it as soon as it's uploaded.  From start to finish it took almost 13 minutes.  Youtube is choking my upload speed for some reason so the video will be up in about an hour.

Pretty much guaranteed spaceship or shuttle with the red or green versions of the pod in this video.

I had the impression that the discovered BluePrints where essentially randomly selected.

But I'll hunt down some more of those Red/Green unknowns you show and post back with the results.  I know those types are rather easy to find in the caverns under the gas monsters and the occasional sub-terrain tree, as I'm fairly certain I've returned with them on more than one occasion.

No joy with the red green from gas monsters, only gives me aluminium every time, still missing:

Shuttle 

Spaceship 

Truck

Large battery 

And maybe one or 2 of the augments. Started a new save & had the same problem. 

That's my expectation as well, but I want to at least re-try with some of those first.

My concern, is that Blueprints are randomly selected from the first finding of a unique Unknown object.  For example, the first silver Square unknown you research will give you an BluePrint (randomly chosen from the current list of locked BPs), additional silver squares will give you an item.  So on and so forth.  In order to have every single blueprint, you must have found every single unique Unknown.

But after spending hours roaming the planet and caverns trying to tell yourself, I've found that one... or have I?  I'll bring it back and try...  Starts to get discouraging.

A big part is that we don't know what the actual Algorithm is, or general logic to the Research system, so we're totally guessing about each of our experiences.

But Kantashi finding the shuttle in the First Green unknown research he did; makes me only think more that my guess is on the right track.

If these final unique types are hiding in the depths of the sweese cheese caverns...  Well, I'm not inclined to go on more exploratory escapades down there.  After enough sudden holes in the ground, dropping 2-3 levels, falling out of vehicles and dying in the attempts to recover them, and little hope of finding your way to the surface (let alone home base); I've lost my appeal for another 6 hour jaunt on the game with no fruit to bear.  This all started because I just wanted a shuttle to see where my First rover was lost at in the caverns.

Previously researched chests have a chance of yielding new blueprints. I haven't kept statistics but I'd say maybe 15% chance. And that second blueprint may come on the third or fourth attempt, don't despair!

Build a caravan, go hunt for chests, look under plants/rocks or not too far past the entrance of caves you drive by. It's a bit mindless but it's a good excuse to catch up with all the podcasts I have playing in the background.

21 minutes ago, Eoghan said:

Previously researched chests have a chance of yielding new blueprints. I haven't kept statistics but I'd say maybe 15% chance. And that second blueprint may come on the third or fourth attempt, don't despair!

Build a caravan, go hunt for chests, look under plants/rocks or not too far past the entrance of caves you drive by. It's a bit mindless but it's a good excuse to catch up with all the podcasts I have playing in the background.

I totally get that, but my caravan collects 9 unknowns every outing (4 on each storage platform, and one on the nose of the truck).  I'm not exaggerating when I say I've researched almost 50 items with no BP results....  I had finished my fifth outing with no results other than a horde of items I don't need when I decided to speak up on the forums.  Because after all that effort with no reward, I'm just about ready to nuke the save file and try again next patch.

My observation was based on only game with 158, I may have been very lucky as I wasn't missing anything essential by the time I set to build a base on another planet.

I honestly do not understand why you aren't getting a spacecraft.  It's been 100% for me in every new game I've started.  In my experiment, in the 10 times I opened the green seed, I got a shuttle or spaceship every time.

12 hours ago, Kantanshi said:

I honestly do not understand why you aren't getting a spacecraft.  It's been 100% for me in every new game I've started.  In my experiment, in the 10 times I opened the green seed, I got a shuttle or spaceship every time.

I'm still going to re-try the Green pods and report back with my findings once I have...  I'm just not in any rush at present...

Only thing that I haven't mentioned about my personal experience with this, was that I did have a friend playing with me the whole time...  I'm not sure how that would be relevant (hence it not being mentioned), but no stone un-turned right?

Confirmed.

I snatched a green round "organic" looking pod with points on it's dome and red tips (from underneath a gas monster).  I got my spaceship!!!!

I was able to identify (from orbit) the locations of my lost vehicles and recover them all!

I even snatched my beloved "Mega Solar Panel" and attached it to my base (via the use of a rover tethered at both ends).

20170509093426_1.jpg

Edited by BlueJ3di