CANADIAN ECHO

Little things make the biggest changes

Recommended Posts

Since the game is in its infancy I thought I'd make a list of updates to all the mechanics the game currently has and other little quality of life things that would make the game less random and more fun.

 

Game Hints

This could be a great way to teach newbie player mechanics that are introduced into the game. How it'd work? A pop-up transmission would appear in the top left/right corner with a little astronomer , he'd have a test bubble telling you the mechanic and what it does. This is simple, easy to communicate, and kids love stuff like this.

Recycle Modules

I'm not the only one who's miss placed a module.. Their should be a feature to recycle/destroy old modules. This would allow players to move/build their base the way they want it.

Toxic plants

Dying to plants is the weirdest most random thing ever. The game punishes you for explore and poking every plant you can find. This system couldn't be more flawed, instead I propose that plants don't kill you, but poison you (see picture 1) As you become more poisoned the less air you have in the tank, keeping the gameplay centered around your oxygen. Another thing that could be added with this feature is a med bay module, this would help you back to full strength.

Sliding Glitch Thing

When your walking on a steep slope you start to slide down it. I don't dislike the feature, I dislike the fact that it takes control away from the player. Instead, make it like Mario 64 were you could still jump while sliding. This would make it less annoying and more free flowing.

Storms

I love the idea of weather hazards, but the way storms aren't very good in my opinion. All they really do is stop you from moving, then wait till the storm passes. The problem is because the risk of dying is too great, just like the plants not killing you, getting hit by a flying rock should reduced the amount of oxygen you have. Doing this would allow players to make mad dashes through storms while still having the risk of getting hit. There should also be a knockback feature for getting hit, like in the movie "The martian" when he gets hit by the antanne he's sent flying (see picture 2). Also storms should move loose materials around making storms something to worry about.

Radar

This is kinda a feature, but it fixes an issue I think the game has which is orientation. Since the game looks similar everywhere, it's easy for players to get confused and lost, and confused players aren't a good thing. A radar/map would let players map out their surroundings like in minecraft.

Camera controls

The controls are clunky and overlap a lot, it's a pain to carry a research pod back to you base uphill then your camera moves close or turns you around. Needs a serious update fast.

Menu Startup

Takes forever on xbox to startup this game. Please speed this up.

Research Progression

The first version of the research curve was bad. Now to make it better I have two solutions. 1. Keep the research randomly unlock, but unlock in a set pattern so your actually progressing through the game and not just plateauing and just waiting for the next meaningful blueprint. 2. Change pods unlocking blueprints to giving you research points which the player can then spend towards the tech he/she wants, kinda like fallout 4 or skyrim (see picture 3). Both systems work but are very different and encourage different play from the players. The biggest change to whatever the dev's do is to make it more fair and meaningful, like in destiny year 1 when it took so much grinding to get anything. Now they've made it much easier and rewarding to play the game, something to be learned here.

 

Poison Health Bar.png

Storm hit.jpg

Skyrim skill tree.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would be cool if there is some kind of constellation based tech tree, or skill trees.

Oh and btw, good suggestion in overall, even though most of these stuff are on the list

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hints: Many many yes's.

Recicle/remove: Well, one already can remove missplaced modules by sticking(not snaping) dynamite onto modules, and everything else. Most(if not all) dead fellow/rival astroneers found carry a stack of boom-sticks.

Sliding-jumping: Isn't that already in the game?? i might be mistaken, have not played for a couple of days.

everything else sounds sweeet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CANADIAN ECHO said:

The problem is because the risk of dying is too great

well, the purpose of storms is kinda to kill you, or at least annoy you, sooo......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lithium said:

I think it would be cool if there is some kind of constellation based tech tree, or skill trees.

Oh and btw, good suggestion in overall, even though most of these stuff are on the list

These are the things they should be working on. They cant build a great game without a solid foundation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MardoPardo said:

Hints: Many many yes's.

Recicle/remove: Well, one already can remove missplaced modules by sticking(not snaping) dynamite onto modules, and everything else. Most(if not all) dead fellow/rival astroneers found carry a stack of boom-sticks.

Sliding-jumping: Isn't that already in the game?? i might be mistaken, have not played for a couple of days.

everything else sounds sweeet. 

Jumping is, but when you slide your locked in that movement opinion. It breaks the whole experience by take control out of the players hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Skully said:

well, the purpose of storms is kinda to kill you, or at least annoy you, sooo......

 

Yes and yes, but having a chance to run through storms and not being insta-killed would make them way better. Currently all you can do during a storm is wait... boring! Adding more ways to interact with a storm event makes it have more depth and replay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CANADIAN ECHO said:

Yes and yes, but having a chance to run through storms and not being insta-killed would make them way better. Currently all you can do during a storm is wait... boring! Adding more ways to interact with a storm event makes it have more depth and replay.

ok, i see your point of view. And hey, then we could play chicken in the storms!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Skully said:

ok, i see your point of view. And hey, then we could play chicken in the storms!

Exactly!! This is a kids game as the dev's have stated so the risk vs reward shouldn't be so steep like a dark souls game or something. Might make a whole post on the punishing aspect of the game...

Edited by CANADIAN ECHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CANADIAN ECHO said:

Exactly!! This is a kids game as the dev's have stated so

Wait, is this actually a kids' game? 

O.o

did the Dev's really say that...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TayTayBerryman said:

Wait, is this actually a kids' game? 

O.o

did the Dev's really say that...?

They've stated they want astroneers to be a "family friendly" game. Basically is a younger kids game which isn't a bad thing. Just means designing things should be about shorting iteration times and keeping the game quick to understand for younger gamers.

Edited by CANADIAN ECHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CANADIAN ECHO said:

Jumping is, but when you slide your locked in that movement opinion. It breaks the whole experience by take control out of the players hands.

You can move wherever you want when jumping/sliding/falling, but you still have to take gravity and the angle of the slope into account. And there's inertia, so one will not change their movement direction instantly. OR, i've completely misunderstood you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2017 at 2:29 PM, CANADIAN ECHO said:

Yes and yes, but having a chance to run through storms and not being insta-killed would make them way better. Currently all you can do during a storm is wait... boring! Adding more ways to interact with a storm event makes it have more depth and replay.

Just an idea that occurred to me while reading through this thread.  How about making an underground tunnel system under tether lines.  You can use tether posts as entry point locators.  The tunnels could either be small enough for just the astroneer or large enough to drive vehicles through.  Maybe I'll work on this idea in game today so I can post a video showing what I mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One amendment.

Slide-jumps: add a mini-module to the inventory (craft), an analog of the studded soles of climbers. :ph34r:
This option can not be canceled in any case, because in the caves sliding sometimes helps to come down (if you make gentle slopes).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, KonvoiR said:

One amendment.

Slide-jumps: add a mini-module to the inventory (craft), an analog of the studded soles of climbers. :ph34r:
This option can not be canceled in any case, because in the caves sliding sometimes helps to come down (if you make gentle slopes).

Amendment 2.

Storms: just to diversify the storms in strength - this will bring variety.
For example, on a scale of 1-5.
1- strong wind (slightly reduces the movement).
2- squally wind (gradually demolishes unsecured / not hidden things).
3- Storm 1 point (reduced visibility and a noticeable decrease in walking speed)
4- Storm 2 points (visibility almost zero, reduces the speed of walking and the speed of transport, any loose object carries away with great speed).
5- Storm 3 points (similar to point (4) and here just flying pieces of the breed are capable of killing (because of high speed, and a broken balloon here does not get rid of).

Edited by KonvoiR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now