I was trying to do some research in the massive green caverns today, even though i was constantly keeping track of land marks and turns, i still got lost more than 7 times, perhaps adding some kind backpack module that leaves a 15-20 second trail behind you could help navigate the caves easier.

22 minutes ago, KeeblerOrc said:

Well......It helps us Explore ....Right?....LOL

In a game with such basic graphics it becomes very hard to tell two tunnels apart. Obviously the game will look much better in a years time, but more ways to navigate areas is always better.

Not a complete solution but one thing that helps me while exploring caves it to always put the tethers on the right-hand side of the tunnel wall (just like I do in Minecraft with torches). That and putting "double-tethers" to indicate tricky branches.

When I explore caves I put tethers everywhere I go.  If I run into dead ends or a gaping chasm that I don't feel like messing with I go back to that branch entrance, picking up my tethers along the way, then fill in the entrance so I know I'm done with that area.

10 hours ago, Eoghan said:

Not a complete solution but one thing that helps me while exploring caves it to always put the tethers on the right-hand side of the tunnel wall (just like I do in Minecraft with torches). That and putting "double-tethers" to indicate tricky branches.

I never thought of keeping my tethers to one side.  Neat trick.  What do you mean by double tethers for tricky branches?

With tethers tracing series of curves that sometimes intersect or loop back into themselves, what I call a double tether is a tether placed just a foot or two from another, perpendicular to the curve (perpendicular because it can be removed and the entire chain remains lit).

Think of a giant "Y", you are walking from the bottom, you reach the intersection and both arms have tethers on their left side. Or a giant "*". That's what I mean by tricky branching and I use a double tether to mark one branch, usually the shortest path to the surface.

Edited by Eoghan

In the beginning i drew left/right/down/up on a paper when exploring caves so i would know how to backtrack. Now, when going in without tethers(best option imo <- tethering), i deform the wall a little, so i know where to turn when dashing back to tethers. 

On the surface i use compass and other natutal/me-made landmarks. 

Another option while spelunking is to use glowing energy/oxygen stacksas bread crumbs when in a huge cave that branches out in several directions.

Well this trail idea is more of a passive way to know the general direction of where you came from, I agree tethers are useful and i use them, but it would be good to have something that trails behind you when you move, just showing the direction you came from maybe 30 seconds ago. OR perhaps they could add foot prints to the game, that would be aesthetically pleasing AND useful

I think leaving trails would break the immersion that SES is trying for.   They are severely reluctant to add UI elements, much less a trail.  Persistent footprints and/or tire tracks would just add to cpu load and create more lag.

@TayTayBerryman  Yup, but then people will complain that they have to use up one more precious slot in their backpack.  I like that the devs make people compromise with their choices.  I'd like to see the players lug around 200 lbs in equipment and items gathered while exploring a planet.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:32 PM, TayTayBerryman said:

Well couldn't you just use the terrain analyzer to leave different colored marks on the floors or walls?

I went up to the top of a mountain to get the "snow" terrain just for this purpose. 

As for @Kantanshi's comment about needing to use up backpack slots, they did just give us three more slots on the gun!