Sign in to follow this  
Kantanshi

Bad eyesight changed cursor

I don't have the best vision and that little white dot can get lost on me at times.  So I figured out how to change it to make it a little easier on my eyes.

Clipboard05.jpg.33e8e2c5dc6493f5ac035daf425c59b4.jpg

I mentioned the same thing the other day...... just adding a black or red ring around the white dot would sure make me happy...... I'm 100% in agreement.

That wasn't a request I made.  I actually changed the cursor.

Edited by Kantanshi

Care to post how so others may do it? The Dev's have stated that Mod's are a feature they would like to have in the game, can't see you getting into trouble for it.

@The_Gump

Ya, that's what I've been debating myself about.  Well, I guess if they intend to make it modable, it won't hurt to post.  It's actually quite simple.

You will need cursor editing software such as http://www.rw-designer.com/cursor-maker

I play on the PC Steam version so file locations may vary.  First, go to the folder where you installed Astroneer.  From there, navigate to \Engine\Content\Editor\Slate\Cursor\

in this folder you will find a file called "smalldot.cur"  Make a backup of this file so you can find it easily.  Now edit it to whatever you like.  Save the file and load up the game to see if you like the results.  It does not appear that you need to edit "SmallDot.png" so just leave that file alone.  You might want to make a backup of your edited cursor just in case an update reverts it back to the original file.

I can attach my file if anyone doesn't feel like going through the editing process.  It's only 326 bytes.

Fantastic...... Love it..... but would prefer the Astroneer Team to just change the default to a white dot with a black ring around it.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:31 PM, Kantanshi said:

@The_Gump

Ya, that's what I've been debating myself about.  Well, I guess if they intend to make it modable, it won't hurt to post.  It's actually quite simple.

You will need cursor editing software such as http://www.rw-designer.com/cursor-maker

I play on the PC Steam version so file locations may vary.  First, go to the folder where you installed Astroneer.  From there, navigate to \Engine\Content\Editor\Slate\Cursor\

in this folder you will find a file called "smalldot.cur"  Make a backup of this file so you can find it easily.  Now edit it to whatever you like.  Save the file and load up the game to see if you like the results.  It does not appear that you need to edit "SmallDot.png" so just leave that file alone.  You might want to make a backup of your edited cursor just in case an update reverts it back to the original file.

I can attach my file if anyone doesn't feel like going through the editing process.  It's only 326 bytes.

Kantansi.....You are the Hero of the morning...... Was an easy mod and OMG what a difference.... all I did was fill the middle of the Reticule with black so as to have a black dot with a white ring around it and its amazing how visible the lost cursor has become........

Thanks again Astroneer Buddy........To Infinity and Beyon.........Ah Wrong Franchise.......Sorry.....so sorry

I agree, the standard cursor is not eye-friendly. A couple of options to choose from would be sweet.

@ESa

What platform are  you playing the game on?  If it's PC, I describe how to change the cursor yourself in this thread.

Just done this meself, that cursor editor is pretty good. going to use that at work lol.

Works brilliantly, added a dark ring around the white dot, bingo. Perfectly visible :D

6 hours ago, Velocity_9 said:

i posted how to do it.everyone copied me

I wasn't into the game a long time ago.  I've only been on the forum and in the game since April.  I never saw anything you wrote, it must be quite a ways back on the forum.  Sorry I didn't read every post that's ever been written.  Just because someone else thought of the same thing does not mean they copied you.  After checking your posts, I see it was back in February.  Read your post and mine is nothing like yours besides we happened to find the same software.  You can blame Google for that coincidence.   It's pretty egotistical to think you are the only one that could have figured it out.

Edited by Kantanshi