Darkestnature

Make polls for the ideas in forum

Maybe a moderator can tell me if this is possible or not. I was thinking that since a lot of ideas are suggested and there are members and moderators that dedicate time to seeing what has been suggested that they can maybe create a poll that runs for a week or something that members can cast votes to. This would allow the ideas that are more seriously taken to be sent to the developers to see if they can get something going to implement those ideas into the game. Let me know what you guys think. 

You can always post in a strawpoll link if you wanted to make poll, I think the general argument is that the poll system can easily be redundantly meaningless in the simplest form

Do U like me post

1. Ye
  2. Nay

I mean it was for something tame like favorite planet, then I'd be fine with that

31 minutes ago, Lithium said:

You can always post in a strawpoll link if you wanted to make poll, I think the general argument is that the poll system can easily be redundantly meaningless in the simplest form

Do U like me post

1. Ye
  2. Nay

I mean it was for something tame like favorite planet, then I'd be fine with that

The thing is is that the Devs would have to be on board with the poll so whatever the poll would list is something that the Devs are considering putting in the game and let's say if the percentage is 75% or higher it would be worked on and eventually implemented. 

36 minutes ago, Darkestnature said:

The thing is is that the Devs would have to be on board with the poll so whatever the poll would list is something that the Devs are considering putting in the game and let's say if the percentage is 75% or higher it would be worked on and eventually implemented. 

Yeah well, that's the thing it's not the player to decide what for them to work on, SES want to decide that themselves, not to put it on the player's hand. That's why we make suggestions and no matter how popular it is, it's still has no guarantee to be implemented.

1 hour ago, Lithium said:

Yeah well, that's the thing it's not the player to decide what for them to work on, SES want to decide that themselves, not to put it on the player's hand. That's why we make suggestions and no matter how popular it is, it's still has no guarantee to be implemented.

I'm sorry I must have not been that clear with what I was saying. I meant that like if the Devs would want to do polls then they would suggest content that they were considering. The best way to see what exactly I'm talking about is this http://services.runescape.com/m=poll/oldschool/results.ws?id=1346

in that link you can see the Devs interact with the player community in a way that the community can have some say of the content that the Devs are thinking of implementing. They do a great job and for a game like astroneer where they have a general direction where they want the game but at the same time would like the help of the community, this would be the best thing they could do I feel. This would also require the Devs to interact more than they do with the community, which wouldn't hurt anyone. Just wish more people would comment on this thread so we could have a little more input on what the rest of the players feel. 

Edited by Darkestnature

43 minutes ago, gp. said:

Made this a while ago: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSefVhKfolrBPhlAt4bPF2YU1lTJ_-tJJuez7Y1tEmQlq-CqBg/viewform?c=0&w=1

And I agree - we need something from devs, making interaction between them and us easier.

That is a perfect model for them to know what areas they should be focusing on to get popularity with astroneer. Overall that's the type of thing I was mentioning. Glad to hear someone else agrees. 

Also a great SaaS --- https://www.uservoice.com/

Tagline is:  Build better products with intelligent product feedback.

I've used it for several projects--- boy does it help good ideas float to the surface and provide an instant feedback mechanism and roadmap back to the user community.

Polls may provide helpful feedback when it comes to minor details but is there a point having them this early in the game? At this stage, we kinda know the game is about exploring our home planet, gathering resources & research, going to other planets, and a bit of survival. And that's it! We don't have the bigger picture, we don't know what's coming next, or what the finished game is supposed to look like.

Right now, polls would feel like shopping for furniture for a new house we haven't seen yet or deciding 6 months ahead what we're going to wear to go walk the dog on November 5th. (I am exaggerating, I know, but you get the drift.)

We know SES is listening, the best we can do is to offer constructive feedback. And as someone (name?) suggested somewhere else, a +1 button would pretty much accomplish the same thing as polls would do. 

17 hours ago, Eoghan said:

Polls may provide helpful feedback when it comes to minor details but is there a point having them this early in the game? At this stage, we kinda know the game is about exploring our home planet, gathering resources & research, going to other planets, and a bit of survival. And that's it! We don't have the bigger picture, we don't know what's coming next, or what the finished game is supposed to look like.

Right now, polls would feel like shopping for furniture for a new house we haven't seen yet or deciding 6 months ahead what we're going to wear to go walk the dog on November 5th. (I am exaggerating, I know, but you get the drift.)

We know SES is listening, the best we can do is to offer constructive feedback. And as someone (name?) suggested somewhere else, a +1 button would pretty much accomplish the same thing as polls would do. 

The plus 1 button does not even do the polls justice at all, did you take a look at the link I put previously that was an example? The community brings the ideas to the Devs(at least some of them) the Devs ultimately go through them(with help from the mods) and choose what they think will work for the game that they want to create. The plus 1 button would just be adding onto the community of something that may never be created because it's the Devs choice. That way the Devs go through us to get some ideas, they choose the ideas that work for where the game was planned to go, they feed us a poll about things that they are considering on working on. The polls results lead to results of where the game is taken. Polls have a time limit on them. The plus 1 button is essentially just a like button that has no time limit or actual accurate percentage count. So if you have 10,000 people on the forums actively and 1000 people use the suggestion of the +1 button on one idea, that is 1/10 of the active community that is helping this game, but because there would be no time limit or percentage count of the community, the community would grow bigger with most likely a slight increase in that one idea. That idea would have a potential of being pushed through even if the rest of the community didn't have a say. If it was at its worst, the other 9/10 of the community would disagree with that idea and then they would lose their community slowly from things like this happening. Im just putting this idea out there because this has happened with games before.

If there is a +1 button, there is also a -1 button and then the 90% who are against something can also express themselves and vote something down. And the way the devs try ideas is by putting them in the game, seeing how they work when put in practice, how the player base reacts and either refine the idea or maybe try the other option. Or stick to their guns. It's great that we can make suggestions here but, in the end, it's the folks at SES who are the ones who design the game, not polls or not +/-1 buttons.

Despite appearances, I am not opposed to polls, I just thing they are a waste of time and effort. SES is a fairly small team and there is only so much "let's try this, let's try that" they can do if they ever want to ship a finished game. That and we already have to moderators who funnel ideas/suggestion to SES.

ideas get pushed off the first page and a lot of them are forgotten, hint the poll. The poll brings everything into one spot of convenience. The like and dislike button is only regarded to a specific post which everyone won't see. SES also relies on community feedback. My point is still there. 

Create a separate topic at the top of the forum with the title "What do developers want to know?". Then the active and reading part of the community will not think about polls and other unnecessary things. Moderators will have less work, if we exclude, for example, the general theme of "IDEA". (Where, by the way, is full of similar ideas).
The sequence of actions is the best solution for achieving any goal.

P.S.
In addition, developers will receive an additional working tool - the collective consciousness of the players))) Which they can use for a comprehensive discussion of the problem that arose in the process of creation anything.

59 minutes ago, KonvoiR said:

Create a separate topic at the top of the forum with the title "What do developers want to know?". Then the active and reading part of the community will not think about polls and other unnecessary things. Moderators will have less work, if we exclude, for example, the general theme of "IDEA". (Where, by the way, is full of similar ideas).
The sequence of actions is the best solution for achieving any goal.

P.S.
In addition, developers will receive an additional working tool - the collective consciousness of the players))) Which they can use for a comprehensive discussion of the problem that arose in the process of creation anything.

They do say a game that we(developers) and the community have made together. Meaning they are accepting new ideas. This is why everyone is coming together. They'd have to go through the ideas regardless. They have a small workforce so that's why the mods are helping as much as they can. I say this could go better but as it is right now, it's not the worst.