Shawn138

Points based research idea.

I was thinking about the whole research thing and thought I would pose this. How about making research a point based thing? That way you just accumulate your points. there could be a point system for the different chests, some worth more some worth less. Then you just buy whatever research you want with your points. Get what YOU want first. Then it's just a matter of getting the points.

Good idea.

Two things to add:

1) research costs may (or not) grow as you get further along (i.e. first blueprint costs 5 points, the next one 10 points, etc.)

2) since SES likes the idea of different kinds of chests giving different types of blueprints, there could be different kind of points depending on what you drag back to your base (i.e. vehicle research points, energy production points, etc.) so that the incentive to explore and seek different kinds of chest is still there.

Interesting idea, I was thinking about something similar.

4 hours ago, Eoghan said:

2) since SES likes the idea of different kinds of chests giving different types of blueprints, there could be different kind of points depending on what you drag back to your base (i.e. vehicle research points, energy production points, etc.) so that the incentive to explore and seek different kinds of chest is still there.

Exactly. This would fit the concept of technological tree (see here) with different branches you could chose to explore. But instead of hiding it inside the game's code, this would have to be included in the UI, which is the hard part I think. Also, there is no place for excitement and mystery if you know that every chest is just a bunch of science points. Anyway, this idea has some potential.

Edited by gp.

One possible argument against points is that they are not visual.

Look at the current state of the game and pretty much everything is visual: energy bars and nuggets, oxygen level and nuggets, resources. The game relies on tangible objects to tell us how much we have of this and that, not numbers.

Research nuggets/stacks of different colors or shapes perhaps?

Having nuggets of data would be awesome. You could then imagine an augment for the TT that would allow you to scan research items in the field and produce "data stacks" allow you to bring more back to base w/o lugging the chests. this could be a later game item so initially the mechanic stays the same for carrying chests to the research platform. The visual would then be you seeing your next nugget of the appropriate "data type" accumulating on the TT or research platform (there would need to be a way to link these...). This would also be a cool way to have data stored on crashed ships...pull the "data drive". There could also be categories of data for lore, some of which could be accumulated the same way (learning about alien worlds, failed astroneer missions off bodies, and ancient human/alien tech on crashes/ruins). This could also then let you learn some of the info we would all like to see about what kinds of research items do what and where resources might be located, etc without it being told to us from the start...because how would we know. By randomising it we even get more replayability.

Possibly you could add a small chance of a specific category discovery by clicking different elements onto the research table?

For instance:

I have research item X. This item should give me a discovery in category Printer. Now, if I add (for example) 1,2,3 or 4 Lithium, I have 1,2,3,4% more chance of discovering battery. And so on.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:57 PM, Shawn Hemingson said:

I was thinking about the whole research thing and thought I would pose this. How about making research a point based thing? That way you just accumulate your points. there could be a point system for the different chests, some worth more some worth less. Then you just buy whatever research you want with your points. Get what YOU want first. Then it's just a matter of getting the points.

This is a similar version to what I wanted to happen to the unlock system. A system that keeps the fun searching/exploring new worlds and caves, but makes the progression more in the players hands. many other games do this to a great degree, mass effect Andromeda is one of many. Even thou theirs lots of critiques about the game, the explore part of the game is quite fun and lets the player spend his/hers hard earned points the way they want to play.

scanning.jpg

research.jpg

On 5/5/2017 at 1:15 PM, Permetheus said:

Possibly you could add a small chance of a specific category discovery by clicking different elements onto the research table?

For instance:

I have research item X. This item should give me a discovery in category Printer. Now, if I add (for example) 1,2,3 or 4 Lithium, I have 1,2,3,4% more chance of discovering battery. And so on.

This idea would actually be fantastic! (Well done Permetheus). It would in fact be a way of asking the game "what can I build with this stuff". There is always a risk that the first time the answer is "i don't know", but each time there should be an increased chance that you discover "oh hey I can use lithium to make a huge battery!". Seems intuitive, keeps the randomisation and gives the player some control over progression.

Edited by Beren99