tonez_4466

Contrary to other points of view

Recommended Posts

I think the Game is finding a balance,  its hard to get research items, not everything is near to hand.

That is how it would be in real life (on an other planet) not everything is a click away.

I like it, its beginning to feel like a proper game not a research all quick fest 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main issue that people are having with the research is that it currently lacks structure, as it's entirely at the mercy of the RNG. It's neither hard nor easy, it's just random. Though we know it'll be improved further in the future (it's the first version of the new system after all).

As for the real life comparison, well, if we were to go this route, you'd actually have everything from the start. Mostly according to the lore. After all you're not crash landed, but traveled over there with the help of an entire company. But that's a point one could debate about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree about "neither hard nor easy".  The release notes indicate that research would be more rare.  More rare = harder. But it seems they turned the Harder knob up to 11, when it should have been a 3.

I agree with you about the lack of structure.  Getting research items in the right order  contributes a lot to the pleasure of playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wyvyrias said:

The main issue that people are having with the research is that it currently lacks structure, as it's entirely at the mercy of the RNG. It's neither hard nor easy, it's just random. Though we know it'll be improved further in the future (it's the first version of the new system after all).

As for the real life comparison, well, if we were to go this route, you'd actually have everything from the start. Mostly according to the lore. After all you're not crash landed, but traveled over there with the help of an entire company. But that's a point one could debate about.

No offense intended but after 50 hours on one game I never achieved 6 or 7 techs..... I realize its a first shot at research but that's ridiculous

There needs to be a logical progression to the base tech..... otherwise put the basics on dead astroneers that you can find and  research Marbles in some of the wrecks that supersede the Chests completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game difficulty and game "grindy-ness" are two very different things.

You can have an easy game that only asks you to repeat a simple task over and over (i.e. find the 25 needles in the 50 hay stacks hidden in 100 barns) and a difficult game that doesn't have any repetitive elements but relies instead on a complex strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spinlock_1977 said:

I disagree about "neither hard nor easy".  The release notes indicate that research would be more rare.  More rare = harder. But it seems they turned the Harder knob up to 11, when it should have been a 3.

2 hours ago, KeeblerOrc said:

No offense intended but after 50 hours on one game I never achieved 6 or 7 techs..... I realize its a first shot at research but that's ridiculous

That's the point about the RNG that I mentioned. Whether it's easy, normal, hard or outright ridiculous is random.

2 hours ago, KeeblerOrc said:

There needs to be a logical progression to the base tech

That's gonna happen in the future for sure, yes.

5 minutes ago, Eoghan said:

Game difficulty and game "grindy-ness" are two very different things.

You can have an easy game that only asks you to repeat a simple task over and over (i.e. find the 25 needles in the 50 hay stacks hidden in 100 barns) and a difficult game that doesn't have any repetitive elements but relies instead on a complex strategy.

I agree with that. But finding the right balance there is something that will take some time, especially since Astroneer is far from having all it's content yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, finding the right balance, isn't it what ultimately makes a game a success or a bomb? Or trying to please everyone but ending up pleasing none?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friends kids all gave up on the game after 3-4 days of grinding... funny part is the Mom got addicted helping them out....  The kids at only allowed to play 2 hours of computer games per day and my buddy is laughing at his wife because she's been playing around the clock..... as far as I know she has never been addicted to a game before....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

The main issue that people are having with the research is that it currently lacks structure, as it's entirely at the mercy of the RNG. It's neither hard nor easy, it's just random. Though we know it'll be improved further in the future (it's the first version of the new system after all).

As for the real life comparison, well, if we were to go this route, you'd actually have everything from the start. Mostly according to the lore. After all you're not crash landed, but traveled over there with the help of an entire company. But that's a point one could debate about.

The whole game is rng.. really, random landing spot.. random landmass.. might get desert or forest.. might get caves full of puffers or only the exploding cactus.. might have lots of spaceship wrecks.. usually they're all about 400m or so around you tho, in a big circle and outwards..

On other planets, resin and compound all in caves or just below the surface.. there's still loads of researchables to find, in trees, under plants, under rocks, laying around in caves on surface, near wrecks..

Everything is rng.  The real issue is people... Not really the game.  It's too hard.. I have to think.. omg I actually need to get out of my habitat now.. oh noes..

50 hours in a game and only 6-7 techs.. seriously.. I'd have restarted it after an hour lol.

I usually get a dozen in the first hour.. getting the rest.. well, don't need everything.

Edited by Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tonez_4466 said:

I think the Game is finding a balance,  its hard to get research items, not everything is near to hand.

Difficult is good, yes.  But there's a point where it becomes a little ridiculous.  I have most of the major techs but I'm still missing the large wind vanes, the small generator (biomass type) and some of the other things.  I have put in around 20 hours on this save and been to all but one of the planets so far.  Have not been able to find any new research.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Martin said:

The whole game is rng.. really, random landing spot.. random landmass.. might get desert or forest.. might get caves full of puffers or only the exploding cactus.. might have lots of spaceship wrecks.. usually they're all about 400m or so around you tho, in a big circle and outwards..

On other planets, resin and compound all in caves or just below the surface.. there's still loads of researchables to find, in trees, under plants, under rocks, laying around in caves on surface, near wrecks..

Everything is rng.  The real issue is people... Not really the game.  It's too hard.. I have to think.. omg I actually need to get out of my habitat now.. oh noes..

50 hours in a game and only 6-7 techs.. seriously.. I'd have restarted it after an hour lol.

I usually get a dozen in the first hour.. getting the rest.. well, don't need everything.

All but 6-7 tech..... If I don't have that many in the first hour I restart..... so far one 50 hour game, 1 - 12 hour game and 10 - 1 hour games, the 50 hour one was me attempting to prove the research was not broken and covered all planets except Tundra...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now