Nuinethir

Please Fix Vehicles in Next Patch

I am at a point that it has become increasingly frustrating to drive vehicles around with the current control scheme. I would like the WASD to control forwards, backwards, turn left/right, and leave the mouse completely independent to look around. Backing up to fix a Winch release, maneuvering in caves, etc, it just isn't fun for me anymore, to the point I just save and quit and do something else.

Please fix vehicles on the next patch. Thank you.

You are exactly right.  In fact this topic has come up many times since day one, because it's so important for enjoyable gameplay. 

I hope it's not the case that SES are using the current control scheme just because they want to be different from every other game.  I know, I know... HALO uses this wonky control scheme, so what?.  Astroneer has already set itself apart from other games, and SES are aware that it will be a success when it's completed.  Now is the time to go with the "industry standard" for vehicle controls.

In case Nuinethir's comments were unclear, the camera should be separated and independent from the vehicle controls.  In other words, WASD (or joystick) should make the vehicle move relative to the front of the vehicle, regardless of where the camera is pointing.  For example let's say you're pressing 'W' to drive forward to the East, while at the same time you pan the camera to look South.  If you keep pressing 'W' the vehicle should continue moving East, even when you pan the camera to the South.

I think this type of control system is something that works on both consoles and PC.. and that's why it's there (EG: They didnt have to make two completely separate systems, one for each). But I'm sure it's already been mentioned that it will be "fixed".

Personally, I would love it if they changed the steering method to the type used in Borderlands.  Very accurate fine tune steering using keyboard and mouse combined.  They could keep the option of holding the right mouse button to enable free camera mode.

On 30.04.2017 at 9:35 PM, Nuinethir said:

maneuvering in caves, etc, it just isn't fun for me anymore, to the point I just save and quit and do something else.

Agree. It should have the highest priority atm. I'm so tired of wild trucks going airborne all the time. It would be a GAME-CHANGING fix. Just make driving fun and enjoyable (responsive suspension, grip of wheels, feeling of realistic weight).

Edited by gp.

It's so annoying for me and I thought the last patch would it, what happens to me is everytime I fricken leave my truck it jumps into the air, like wtf. :/ 

1 hour ago, ImmortalHD1 said:

It's so annoying for me and I thought the last patch would it, what happens to me is everytime I fricken leave my truck it jumps into the air, like wtf. :/ 

You mean like I show in this video?