Eoghan

Vertical Storage Pillar

Many people are clamoring for more storage, here's an idea inspired by the central column on the trade platform. This is the schematic view from above, it has 4 tiers at 6 slots each. The 2 smaller grey circles are the contacts underneath where you connect it to a module. If having too much storage feels like cheating, make it so that it only connects to platforms/modules and not to vehicles.

Storage Pillar.jpg

Yep, larger storage for the base is definitely one of the topics that keeps coming up.  Here's my idea from back in February...

5907557202371_@Ferocious_LargeStorageTower.gif.beb9882960a364ef56739a254b71337f.gif

Now that I caught your attention

I feel like you need to first be informed that this thread down here exist, and almost every suggestion put in here has been considered by the developer.

Then the next upgrade would be to have a mount spot on top for a Solar Panel, Wind Turbine or Battery........  its little things like this that I truly love

@Lithium

Thx for posting those pix, you made my day!

@SES

When are we going to get those? Pretty please with lots of astronium on top!

The tower with nodes to connect 8 smaller storage units is AMAZING! Plus having a connection for solar/wind.battery (with sufficient effort and research of course) is a great idea!

I do still think that a "nugget silo" would also be amazing. So for resources you collect a lot of you can input the storage and the silo just keeps track of a number displayed on the side. Need resource just attach a storage to the "output" and it fills it form the silo. The advantage here is the nuggets don't actually exist until you need them so less CPU to keep track of them. I know others have discussed but worth reminding here as well

14 hours ago, Kantanshi said:

@Lithium something went wrong with the thread you linked:

Aaaah, dang, I accidentally posted the edit link instead, it fixed now, and you can always find it directly since it's pinned.

Ya, I've read through that one a couple times.  I was just thinking about the people that don't pay attention to pinned posts but might follow one linked by another user. ;)

Hmm... I've been doing fine with the mass storage solution I worked out. I suppose not everyone would prefer it... but I thought it was an elegant solution to the storage issue...

Home Base Storage.jpg

I tried that some time ago and it didn't work as the vehicle bay would not print a large storage unless it was to be attached to a vehicle. And once attached, unless I am missing something obvious, the large storage cannot be removed from the vehicle and dragged around. Just logged in to see if it had changed but it's still the same. I am on Steam, are you on XB?

@Eoghan

My guess is he is building the storage on vehicles, then blowing up the vehicle.  I've had that scenario leave the large storage behind when I blew up a shuttle.  I'll have to try it with rovers later today.

Edited by Kantanshi

I hadn't thought of dynamite. Not making fun of you Kantanshi but let's hope that SES has better answers than "dynamite" for the missed functionality in Astroneer. :D

(And, yes, I know it's an early alpha.)

You can get the medium storage to fall off of a large rover if you select to print it on a vehicle that has room for it, then put something on the rover so it won't have room, then print and it will not be attached. Don't change what you want to print after putting something on the rover otherwise it won't be available.

Clever trick! I'll have to try it. And cross my fingers a fully loaded storage doesn't fall through the ground or end up in the sky. ?