Optinalmind

" SpaceRail " ( Idea Expanded )

I like many other people would like a rail system of some sort added to the game. The idea of a rail like system would to be transportation from either a far base or from your mining operation deep below the surface. I know some have pointed out that the rovers should travel along a rail, but I think that just takes the freedom away from the rover. So to expand upon this idea I made a " moc-up ".

59042903ececc_render1.thumb.png.ececb95c9d850badb17449f43b489534.png

My idea of the " Space Rail " system is have the platform being attached to your base and being able to attach multiple items/tools to the moving platform.

The movement would be restricted being forward and backward as they would follow these almost semi-circle supports as a rail.

590429056afd8_render4.png.d09ce557f7a7503483199aa45bcf3ac4.png( Standard height )

The rails would be planted into the ground like a new habitat would for placement around the world. These rails would have a range between them kind of like tethers show as they are placed. Rails have options such as rotation and height variation to make the path you would like the Space Rail to take... 

59042906337a1_render5.png.e48e71a2c7b4572848cf027bccbc4551.png ( Height difference )

The Space Rail would be controlled by this UI...

5904290ae5dd0_render6.png.40aa1d74e741dc5252b19a7b1e4246bc.png

The arrows pointing left and right respectively confirm travel down the rail , the ' # ' sign representing how many checkpoints the Space Rail would pass ( you'd have to type a number in ( I know its not a great UI )) and finally the "reset arrow" ( at the bottom ) would make the Space Rail travel to the point where the "reset arrow" was pressed. If seats were attached, the UI would just appear larger than default so you be able to select, Or even manual control as 'W' and 'S' key would control movement along the rail.

This is a very broad idea , of course there would have to be check points the Space Rail would stop at and a way to automate this in the future maybe... I'd love to see such a system added to the game see that it would make transporting resources back to base after a long trip in the deep caves, instead of using the rover and driving all the way back up. Having a more forward transport from base to base...

Below tell me what you think about the idea or even expand upon it...

render 1 .png

render 3 .png

render 4 .png

render 5 .png

render 6 .png

Wow, these are actually great suggestion, included an expertly visualized images, you sir deserve a spot in the fluff gallery, and I'll pin feature this thread as an example to other user.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Yf0lwrL9OZLXkwSXcyZXZ2dlU, you should check it too if you wanted to see other amazing stuff made by other player

And now that the compliment is given, here's a piece of my refinement

Railway System

Objects

• Hover Platform:(Crafted at Vehicle Bay) A slow moving hovering vehicle, but once attached to the station and the rail, it will move at a high acceleration automatically between bases or cavern systems
  • Space-Rail Station:(Crafted at Large Platform) A utility platform that takes the role of a stops used by the hover platforms
  • Rails:(Crafted at Medium Printer) A tether-like structure, packaged in a Tier-2 bundle, each craft packs in 4 of this item, it's used to mark pathways for the hover platform, it can also provide oxygen like tether to player, although it is less efficient

Idea Expansion

• The hover platform will first need to be driven manually to drag it from the vehicle bay the nearest station, while unmounted to the rail system, the vehicle bay can provide modules such as the large storage, cranes, 3-seats, and possibly much more
  • It has no internal power storage, therefore batteries may be required to maintain it, however once it's placed onto the rail system, it will recharge itself automatically by draining power from the rails and stations
  • Automation Integration
    • The automated conveyor can deliver it's buffers directly into the hover platform, there is a schedule system that make it so the platform will move automatically to another station, followed that it met some of the requirement
      • Inventory is Empty
      • Inventory is Full
      • Wait for (Seconds)
Edited by Lithium

9 hours ago, Lithium said:

Wow, these are actually great suggestion, included an expertly visualized images, you sir deserve a spot in the fluff gallery, and I'll pin feature this thread as an example to other user.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Yf0lwrL9OZLXkwSXcyZXZ2dlU, you should check it too if you wanted to see other amazing stuff made by other player

And now that the compliment is given, here's a piece of my refinement

Railway System

Objects

• Hover Platform:(Crafted at Vehicle Bay) A slow moving hovering vehicle, but once attached to the station and the rail, it will move at a high acceleration automatically between bases or cavern systems
  • Space-Rail Station:(Crafted at Large Platform) A utility platform that takes the role of a stops used by the hover platforms
  • Rails:(Crafted at Medium Printer) A tether-like structure, packaged in a Tier-2 bundle, each craft packs in 4 of this item, it's used to mark pathways for the hover platform, it can also provide oxygen like tether to player, although it is less efficient

Idea Expansion

• The hover platform will first need to be driven manually to drag it from the vehicle bay the nearest station, while unmounted to the rail system, the vehicle bay can provide modules such as the large storage, cranes, 3-seats, and possibly much more
  • It has no internal power storage, therefore batteries may be required to maintain it, however once it's placed onto the rail system, it will recharge itself automatically by draining power from the rails and stations
  • Automation Integration
    • The automated conveyor can deliver it's buffers directly into the hover platform, there is a schedule system that make it so the platform will move automatically to another station, followed that it met some of the requirement
      • Inventory is Empty
      • Inventory is Full
      • Wait for (Seconds)

I love these ideas, that would be one great system :D

Great idea, kudos to you @Optinalmind! I would have found this extremely useful in an older save where I'd been strip mining a section of my planet.

Other suggestions on this: 

- being able to tether wagons together

- flip the connecting nodes 90 degress so you can get storage pods (large or small) on there

17 hours ago, CodeIsBroken said:

Great idea, kudos to you @Optinalmind! I would have found this extremely useful in an older save where I'd been strip mining a section of my planet.

Other suggestions on this: 

- being able to tether wagons together

- flip the connecting nodes 90 degress so you can get storage pods (large or small) on there

Great idea about being able to link them together, but If I were to turn the connecting nodes 90 degrees, large storage would interfere with each other. The reason I placed them the way they are is to be similar to the truck's connecting nodes. 

Maybe I'm not seeing what you are. Thank you for the suggestion :D

Edited by Optinalmind

This thread (that I started a while ago) threw out a similar idea, among a few others. Pasting a link here as food for thought, in case it's helpful. 

this idea is really great but i would like to add a danger factor to this idea because it is just too powerful (the hover platform as Lithium calls it, should have a flaw that is ... well annoying this flaw could be something to do with the storms... lets say that the hover platform gets caught in a storm, the hover platform will be derailed since it is not tied down to anything, now yeah you could just go through the trouble of digging a tunnel through the ground to get to your destination but it should not be so easy as to just slap a hover platform down on a rail system and there is no problems, it is too op..... just like with the rover or even the trucks. the storm moves them around...... well since the hover platform is not bolted down and has no traction it is able to be pushed around easily so this is only common sense....) ok now the basic's of my idea think of a air hockey puck on a air hockey table, if you take a leaf blower turn it on and point it at the air hockey puck said puck will move fast away from the blower because it is floating a bit off of the air hockey table.... now if you take the same puck and place it on concrete and do the same to it, it will move but you would of had to move the blower closer to the puck because the puck now had traction from being on rough jagged terrain..... unless you placed it on smooth polished concrete then it might have the same effect because of lack of traction.....

Edited by samuel athanas
bad spelling and punctuation edits

On 10/26/2017 at 5:10 AM, samuel athanas said:

lets say that the hover platform gets caught in a storm, the hover platform will be derailed since it is not tied down to anything, now yeah you could just go through the trouble of digging a tunnel through the ground to get to your destination but it should not be so easy as to just slap a hover platform down on a rail system and there is no problems, it is too op..... just like with the rover or even the trucks. the storm moves them around...... well since the hover platform is not bolted down and has no traction it is able to be pushed around easily so this is only common sense....)

Maglev trains don't just hover above the ground or a flat track.  There is actually a guidance system that prevents the cars from derailing.  Building something that unstable would make the whole system so dangerous it would never be used.  That should be common sense.

220px-Magnetschwebebahn.svg.png