Lithium

Augments Suggestion Thread

11 hours ago, Ghostwolf93 said:

Compatability idea:

Inhibitor + Storage (both types) = Prevents any power nuggets also on the same Storage from being used up. Would also allow any Small Batteries on same Storage to be filled with power, but would then prevent that power from being drawn upon by the rest of the vehicle/base.

Say you want to store some power nuggets on your base, ready to be taken to a new base you are constructing, or to be used by yourself for keeping your Deforming Tool working away from your Tethers and Vehicles.  Obviously you don't want your existing base to use up these power nuggets accidentally. Well, stick an Inhibitor on the same Storage as the power nuggets and the Storage is then 'cut off' from the base's power network.

Alterantively, say you want to store one or more Small Batteries on your base, but want to keep them fully charged up, ready for you to pick up and use. Stick them on a Storage with an Inhibitor already on it (or that you then put an Inhibitor on) and the base's methods of power generation will fill up the Batteries, but the base itself will not draw power from them, allowing them to be fully charged and ready for use when you need them.

I really do like this idea! One thing I might add, so as to avoid any possible confusion would be the creation of different mod. At the very least, it would be a differently-named mod (as opposed to using the one called "Inhibitor" currently in the game). Otherwise I think we risk significant confusion over each mod's specific roles and applications. The recently released "Inhibitor" is a mod (just reiterating) that prevents terrain alteration but continues to allow the scavenging of resources from surfaces. It can be combined with other mods currently available in the game, but it takes priority over them when more than one mod is applied to the terrain tool.

The type of mod you are proposing sounds like a wonderful idea as well, but it sounds like it's use would a bit different. As such, I believe there would be significant benefit derived from distinguishing it from the Inhibitor terrain mod. As I understand it, this mod would act more to prevent, for example, the removal of energy from storage, base nodes (not to be confused with resource nodes), etc. Ideally we would retain the same general meaning as Inhibitor, but by granting this new mod a distinctive name we would thereby help separate their identities and use scenarios, but not so much as to make them sound completely unrelated. That may prove an impossible task, but I did start searching through a thesaurus for words similar to "inhibit". There were some interesting candidates, including Disruptor (I like that one the most) and Suppressor. There were several other words that more or less describe a mod type such as this in relation to what it attempts to achieve. I will includes all of these in the list below along with a few others that came to mind (the emoji I added, if you can see them, don't mean anything; I only added them for a bit of color :P ).

Disruptor??

Suppressor?❎

Interference☢?

Hindrance⚠️?

Blockade☸?

Restraint✴️⛓

plus a few more that came to mind like

Insulator??

Buffer⚗?

Isolate/Quarantine☣?

There's always the possibility I have misread the post, and in fact you are suggesting the use of the Inhibitor currently in the game for the purposes you have outlined. If so, then I apologize for rambling on about an alternate mod and potential names for it. If indeed I have misunderstood, at least we have some alternate names for some other potential mods that may come into existence further down the line! :P 

P.S. To further expand on your ideas about storage plus a mod, it might be really cool if at the time of up printing storage, we could designate a mod to be fully integrated into that storage set. Has anyone considered that possibility? As I see it, we would still need to discover and print the mod tool first. After that, perhaps via a designated additional port located on base production machines (something that's not in the way of the spots currently in existence) we could place a mod down along with the materials necessary to craft (for example, storage) and once printed, the item would have that mod's feature included as an inherent property of that product (but it'd still be toggleable, could be engaged or disengaged). If it were a permanent feature, one that couldn't be disabled, I could see the storage unit (for example) bearing a mod-flavored stripe or perhaps a bearing a certain color highlight or theme that would overall be representative of the mod itself, the mod enabled withing that storage tech etc.That might be an interesting way proceed and not use up a space on th  storage unit itself to hold the mod.

As the game continues to develop, and if mods continue to be a way in which the game provides further tailoring of content and the gameplay experience, it would be interesting to consider the inclusion of a dedicated "mod station" into the game. This would be its own base building, strictly for the creation of mods and providing for their storage. I'd envision it sort of like a miniature workshop with a crafting table, with a pegboard of sorts on which to hang your most frequently used mods and other attachments on display where they're easily seen and can be grabbed on the fly, plus anything else that could be used to store other mods sensibly (drawers don't make sense currently so maybe shelving would be a better idea? I'm not sure we will just have to wait and see). I could envision a situation similar to how the small storages flatten out on some machines (instead of remaining folded up) except they're flatted vertically in connection with various machines as opposed to horizontally (I hope that made sense!). I know one thing that always frustrates me about the folded storage-when I go to load an item, often it will flip to the opposite side of where I'd "like" it to go. If the storage is horizontal, when I go to offload an item it always prefers to put it closer to me rather than fill the rear positions. Tiny things, yes, but aggravating nonetheless lol. If we had vertical only storage related to base production machines, I'd ask it to be one-sided (but that's just my opinion), or to have some sort of camera context, where it can't place items on the other side unless YOU too are also facing the other side :P lol. 

As always, thanks everyone for listening! :D 

Lith i thought this said Argument suggestion thread and i came in here ready for a fight but i guess augments are cool too :/

15 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:
  • Disruptor??
  • Suppressor?❎
  • Interference☢?
  • Hindrance⚠️?
  • Blockade☸?
  • Restraint✴️⛓
  • Insulator??
  • Buffer⚗?
  •  Isolate/Quarantine☣?

Oh This one sounds very cool (I could imagine the massive possibility with this examples)

Well, here's another of my Idea I wanted to share

Compatibility (Based on some of the suggestion from you guys)

• Land Vehicle + Vertical = Better Climbing Ability, allow vehicle to drive easily trough steep terrain
  • Backpack + Vertical = Allow wall running and other cool parkour stuff
  • Land Vehicle + Shape = Depend on the shape mod, changes the shape of the tire, useless but humorous
  • Land Vehicle + Dome + Insulator= Cover the seating in insulated glass, allow the mobile use of temperature control

Suggestions

• Mod Cycle (Trying to wrap this idea around the design)
    • Mod Cycle is a feature from a special kind of terrain tool with rotary plate around it's side
    • It has four inventory slot, but only two can be active at the same time
    • An assigned button (Q or something else) will immediately swap the active module

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:03 AM, Ghostwolf93 said:

Compatability idea:

Inhibitor + Storage (both types) = Prevents any power nuggets also on the same Storage from being used up. Would also allow any Small Batteries on same Storage to be filled with power, but would then prevent that power from being drawn upon by the rest of the vehicle/base.

Say you want to store some power nuggets on your base, ready to be taken to a new base you are constructing, or to be used by yourself for keeping your Deforming Tool working away from your Tethers and Vehicles.  Obviously you don't want your existing base to use up these power nuggets accidentally. Well, stick an Inhibitor on the same Storage as the power nuggets and the Storage is then 'cut off' from the base's power network.

Alterantively, say you want to store one or more Small Batteries on your base, but want to keep them fully charged up, ready for you to pick up and use. Stick them on a Storage with an Inhibitor already on it (or that you then put an Inhibitor on) and the base's methods of power generation will fill up the Batteries, but the base itself will not draw power from them, allowing them to be fully charged and ready for use when you need them.

Came here to add this. On top of being able to use it on Storage, it could be placed on base nodes to prevent power from flowing through them. This would give us the ability to direct power flow to specific areas, as we see fit.

16 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

One thing I might add, so as to avoid any possible confusion would be the creation of different mod. At the very least, it would be a differently-named mod (as opposed to using the one called "Inhibitor" currently in the game). Otherwise I think we risk significant confusion over each mod's specific roles and applications. The recently released "Inhibitor" is a mod (just reiterating) that prevents terrain alteration but continues to allow the scavenging of resources from surfaces. It can be combined with other mods currently available in the game, but it takes priority over them when more than one mod is applied to the terrain tool....

...There's always the possibility I have misread the post, and in fact you are suggesting the use of the Inhibitor currently in the game for the purposes you have outlined. If so, then I apologize for rambling on about an alternate mod and potential names for it. If indeed I have misunderstood, at least we have some alternate names for some other potential mods that may come into existence further down the line! :P 

The devs mentioned they want to use the same set of mods in different applications :)

4 hours ago, erikinthebakery said:

The devs mentioned they want to use the same set of mods in different applications :)

Ok thx, I probably missed that part, glad to be informed of this? 

Still, I was just having a bit of fun (like many others here) letting my imagination roam free lol. I'm a creative type myself (don't know anything about game programming I'm afraid, but I studied music for a long time, it still interests me a lot I consider myself an audiophile of a sort plus I've painted in the past too, so yes I think that qualifies as creative). Then again, many people are creative, and in a lot of different ways too. It's great to have so many come together and share their ideas, some very interesting, some hilarious, without worrying too much at this point how feasible they are or if they'll actually make there way into the final game. Just the act of sharing builds community good will and fosters further creativity and sparks the imagination :D . 

Edited by Shadow Echo

Well, halfway writing the google document, wanted to share right now but can't in it's current state

Thinking of just dropping "Heya! this document explore the expansion around the augment system of Astroneer"

or something else, just letting you guys know that I'm working on it

59 minutes ago, Lithium said:

Well, halfway writing the google document, wanted to share right now but can't in it's current state

Thinking of just dropping "Heya! this document explore the expansion around the augment system of Astroneer"

or something else, just letting you guys know that I'm working on it

Thanks Lithium, it is very helpful to have someone who can make the community's voice heard to the dev's! 

I have some more ideas :)

Drill Augment 

Attached to the Terrain Tool to increase its "strength". You are now able to suck up the rock that is only able to be mined with the drill. You know that one that lithium likes to hide in? 

Plant Remover

Attached to the TT. Acts like the terrain analyzer but this gives the ability to only suck up plants. More specifically, hazardous plants. This could be used for later added plants that could spread over time and cause some serious trouble for players. 

Illuminator

either attached to the TT or your backpack. It adds a light around your player, not in a single direction but all around you. It would really help for cave exploration. 

Extender

Simple, extends the range of the TT. So now you can build bridges father (would help me on the exotic planet) 

Scraper Mod

Attached to the TT. This gives you the ability to suck up any "crash site" parts and combine them into a new material. (Not too sure what it could be...) 

Augment

Flood Lights

Attaches to vehicle seats.  Turns on when player sits in vehicle and light level is low.  My thinking is the opposite light level trigger to solar panels.  Illuminates large areas in front of the vehicle at least 3x more than the current vehicle lighting.

truck_floods.png.23817aa03c46060d1e917b7802e140c3.png

Might have to skip the light level trigger as it may have problems when in caves.

Edited by Kantanshi

be if the Helmet had several slots they could serve as:

Wide = double vision range

Narrow = 4x vision range

Analyzer = see Research easier

Inhibiter = Cool Shades kill all that glare and Halo Chicks like them when hanging out at the Astro Burger Shop in the Satellite Mall

Compatibility idea-

Inhibitor + Backpack (upper slots) : Backpack can only draw power from it's main battery. Useful when you are trying to gather power for your base/vehicle or don't want to run down the battery of a tethered vehicle.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:47 AM, Lithium said:

Compatibility

• Broad Mod + Rover = Increase on Tire Size/ Suspension/ and Power Consumption

I had similar ideas.

• Broad Mod + Rover - Increase tire size, better traction/climbing ability/suspension
  • Narrow Mod + Rover - Thin tires, reduce power consumption

(Energy flow) Inverter

Makes host a client and vice versa.

normal flow:

1.thumb.png.2dd4c6f3d663eb951718e0779c951ca5.png

with inverter:
2.thumb.png.96c899acc6b5c08db0954bf25dd45b05.png

Spoiler

3.thumb.png.a819d345adc3f9bf179b703b760d79df.png

These are some cool suggestion guys, but I'd like to remind you to that augments are a special module that modifies a function generally, not unlike attachment modules like thruster and drills.

Oh, and btw this are the document, I'm working on, feel free to add in any stuff I may have missed, just try not to drift it away from it's concept