Lithium

Augments Suggestion Thread

59038a38e3cf9_ScreenShot2017-04-29at1_29_55AM.thumb.png.31066b004973cf7d25ea7b39567d6d15.png

So... Where do we Go now?

As mentioned by Aaron, in the future augments will have a rather major function that can modify the world in a way imaginable.

Let's help the developer on unlocking the potential of the augments and what the may be able to do.

Any good and well refined suggestion will be pitched in directly to the developers, Get creative guys

I'll be leaving this thread as a *wink* Discussion on how the current augments we have may be able to do when implemented.

How Do I pitch it in?
Easy, first I collect all of the suggestion made here within the first week, then I write a neat document for SES to read, then I send it to them.

Update

The Document is half done, but here's it now, for anyone whose curious, feel free to correct any of my mistakes

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TgQ1vdst4gwRFVHc2kcAu4MNIOxSMY4A3V1_cXvywY0/edit?usp=sharing

To get the clear Idea on what I'm talking about, Here's some piece of mine, and I'll perhaps add in more stuff in here if this thread goes well

Compatibility

• Broad Mod + Rover = Increase on Tire Size/ Suspension/ and Power Consumption
  • Analyzer + Printer/Vehicle Bay = Allow the fabrication of colored modules & vehicles
  • Broad Mod + Broad Mod + Terrain Tool = Even bigger terraforming radius, than if only one mod used

Suggestions

• Accelerator Augment: Speeds up the process on any object attached to it
    • Acc + Smelter = Faster Smelting
    • Acc + Rover = Faster Rover
    • Acc + TT = Faster Terraforming
  • Mixing Vats: A platform shaped Tier-3 Module that can combine the color collected from terrain analyzer into a new ones
  • Pallete: Storage for colors collected by the terrain analyzer

A shape augument would be awesome! Using a wheel and the scroll bar to pull up a plethora of different shapes and rotate them:

-Triangle

-square

-hexagon

Also, 3-D shapes to build would be cool

-cylinders

-spheres

-domes

etc.

Thanks for reading, this game will go far!

//sidegamer

Mentioned elsewhere: use colors to tag beacons on vehicles and habitats, and landing zones on vehicle bays. Attach another copy of a color to a ship to make it land in the matching zone.

Alternate: attach color to a vehicle to make it follow a colored road, or drive to color zone, setting up semi-automated routes.

Tool wise I want a range extender for sniping plants from safety. But maybe safety is boring.

Combining the wide mod and the narrow mod with the default size brush into one. This would be more useful than the current mod. You would be able to change the size of the brush as fast as you can scroll your mouse wheel. Of course, the intensity would also change with it.

Perhaps it would be possible to cycle which slot had priority; that would would make some fast switching possible in a way that could work with more than just brush size.

Compatibility

• Inhibitor + vehicle = Sweep small debris out of vehicle path such as stalagmites and rocks.  Same way it functions on the TT.

Suggestion

• Spaceship/Shuttle augment: Landing zone

Creates an augment and an item linked through a unique identifier designation.  Attach the augment to the spaceship and set the item down where the

player wants the vehicle  to land.  The unique identifier would be necessary to accommodate multiple vehicles so each "knows" where to land.  When

the item is placed on the ground it would create a grey flattened terrain area such as is made when creating a base module.  On this grey area could

be a graphic such as a circle with an S within it the same way, in real life, they paint a square with an H in it for helicopter landing areas.  This would

not only add a nice touch to base customization, but could also solve the problem of multiple vehicles trying to take up the same space in front of

the vehicle bay.

P.S. Great idea starting this thread.  I hope people start following your format to make your voluntary contribution easier.

Edited by Kantanshi

Fire and Ice Augments

Fire

used to melt away ice and glaciers on the Tundra planet; catch plants on fire to burn them away will both reduce cluttering tree and easily drop artifacts

Ice

used to cool lava pits or fires found on the arid planet

I would love to see these both implemented and a there could be so many uses created as well!

Edited by TayTayBerryman

Angle Control Augment

Would make the deform tool's targeting circle have a fixed orientation that could be adjusted. Would work similar to the flattening mode, except that you wouldn't need to have a polygon to start at a certain angle, and you could use this to change the angle while you are using the tool to make cool shapes. I picture being able to make a perfect circle arch with the proper control. 

Hmm it's always interesting to see what new ideas the community comes up with, in this case, for potential new mods. I for one would be ecstatic if the Devs came up with a few adjustments to the current tool mod system, such as how the mods are handled in the game rather than mod behavior itself. For example, I'd love to have the ability to keep most tool mods on the tool itself all the time (well at least 3 of the 4 I suppose, as there's currently  4 of them but only 3 slots on the tool itself; tbh I think most players in most situations won't be using all 4 mods in a short time span, so 3 should be enough, for the time being at least) without the need to move them back & forth into the backpack. Backpacks are feeling squeezed as is, and there's little room for resources once you start to factoring in carrying several tool mods around. However, if we could use the terrain tool to store mods no matter what, regardless of their use status, this would help immensely. We would still need a way to disable the mods when not actively in use. I've seen several others propose this and I strongly agree. This feature is desperately needed.

The Inhibitor is one mod I've been lucky enough to find and spend some time with. It's pure genius! It's so useful, it's nice to keep loaded onto the terrain tool at all times. However, when the need arises (often suddenly and unpredictably) and you must quickly disengage the Inhibitor, it's a very cumbersome and laborious process. You may not have room in your pack for the mod, which forces you to decide what item to drop out of your inventory (and hope you don't lose it). Overall it's a very tedious process, and many including myself wonder if there's another, better way than manage this? Thats why it would be great if sometime (and I realize the mods just came out so it may be awhile) a bit further down the line, each mod could have an on/off toggle present. This switch or toggle would be visible above or near each mod when it is equipped on the tool itself. If that proves to be too difficult to manage, an acceptable alternative would be to include a global mod power switch located on the terrain tool that toggles all mods on or off. Whatever would be compatible with the game engine and programming, works for me. If more mods are available over time, it's obvious we will need storage options for these mods (if they must be stored in the backpack, then the backpack itself will require expansion and likely the adoption of an inventory management system, but there are many kinds of those and I won't get into that here). Only the Devs really know what the future holds in terms of  additional items and storage :P 

I think it's great to see others in the community brainstorm about incredible new mods. Still, let us not lose sight about the practical nature of using the mods we have only just received and are still getting familiar with. With the Inhibitor alone, the sequence of steps required to remove, store, and replace the mod in order to do a bit of necessary terrain manipulation is both time-consuming and tedious. If your inventory is full, it requires a lot of shuffling items around in the inventory (I often travel without a vehicle, and off tether as well). This can lead to a whole array of problems. If it happens at an inopportune time, it can even lead to the demise of your character. It wasn't my intent to hijack this thread so I apologize if anyone sees it that way. I do think any discussion about mods should include some mention of mod management, especially when it comes to activating & deactivating them on the fly in order to minimize the disruption of game flow. As exciting as mods are, both existing ones and those of the future, it's just as important that mod use is well-integrated into gameplay and optimized for use. Thanks again! :) 

Another idea, and I don't know why I didn't think of this before! 

Backpack Augment

Attaches to the top "energy/solar panel" slot on the Astroneer's backpack. When connected adds two (or more) additional spaces to your inventory. Possibly could increase oxygen and power storage (then again there are batteries and tanks). But the main purpose would be to add more storage space.

Narrow Mod + Rover = Rovercycle (make it half a rover but twice as fast)

I'm thinking it can be attached to the printer to make this work.

Edited by solidsteve14

Vertical/Wall Augment--- always places material on the Z axis assuming the center of the planet is the origin point.  Material extrudes upward or downward from center point of tool

Horizontal/Ceiling/Floor Augment:   Always places material on the Y axis, extruding inward or outward from whatever surface is at the center point of the tool.

Dialed Angle Augment:  Let us choose the angle on YZ plane, material extrudes from the center point of the tool on that angle.  Useful for angled roofs and making ramps.

Thank you for working together as a community, I really not expected this thread to keep go this far

Anyway, since it does go well, Here's more of my input based of ideas from you guys

Compatibility

• Printer + Narrow Mod = Small Printer, allow the fabrication of item or modules otherwise would be cartable in the backpack (Tethers, Wind Vane)
  • Printer + Broad Mod = Large Printer, allow the fabrication of modules otherwise would be cartable in the backpack (Large Storage, Cranes)
  • Beacon + Analyzer = Change the icon color of said beacon
  • Vehicle Compability
    • Vehicle + Inhibitor = Put rover/truck in full brake mode, allow precise drilling/ or general parking
    • Crane + Broad/Narrow Mod = Larger/Smaller Drilling Radius
  • TT + Fire Mod = Instant Smelting, as the ore is being dug out
  • Backpack + Fire Mod = Insulate the player, allowing longer time out in cold temperature
  • Backpack + Ice Mod = Freshen the player, allowing longer time out in hot temperature

Suggestions

•  Power Augment: Increase the output of a Force given out from a module attached with this augment
    • Vehicle + Power = Better Climbing Angle, weight, and speed but more power consumption
    • TT + Power = Faster digging speed, more power consumption

Also, I'll start writing on the document, starting from friday... I'll keep you guys notified in this post regarding on it's progress

19 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

We would still need a way to disable the mods when not actively in use. I've seen several others propose this and I strongly agree. This feature is desperately needed.

This was my thoughts on it:

14 minutes ago, Torgado said:

Vertical/Wall Augment--- always places material on the Z axis assuming the center of the planet is the origin point.  Material extrudes upward or downward from center point of tool

Horizontal/Ceiling/Floor Augment:   Always places material on the Y axis, extruding inward or outward from whatever surface is at the center point of the tool.

Dialed Angle Augment:  Let us choose the angle on YZ plane, material extrudes from the center point of the tool on that angle.  Useful for angled roofs and making ramps.

Excellent ideas.  +1 from me.

19 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

We would still need a way to disable the mods when not actively in use. I've seen several others propose this and I strongly agree. This feature is desperately needed.

Agreed! +1

What about adding an Augment Expansion panel that is printable on the printer platform that plugs into the gun consuming 2 slots?  This panel would have room for 6 augments with on/off switches for each augment.

16 hours ago, TayTayBerryman said:

Another idea, and I don't know why I didn't think of this before! 

Backpack Augment

Attaches to the top "energy/solar panel" slot on the Astroneer's backpack. When connected adds two (or more) additional spaces to your inventory. Possibly could increase oxygen and power storage (then again there are batteries and tanks). But the main purpose would be to add more storage space.

+1....or 2

Thanks for the mentions :D There are some very interesting ideas for mods here! While I do love the idea of a backpack extension that could hold many mods in one place, this in itself wouldn't necessarily provide a method to streamline mod use (at least not in the same way a dedicated mod power toggle would). Then again, we are probably talking about some mods here that have more specific  use case scenarios than mods like the Inhibitor for example. Not all of these are going to be the sort of mods one would think of leaving on the tool most or all of the time, so needing an option to toggle it's power state wouldn't be anywhere near the same magnitude of necessity as for a mod such as the Inhibitor (if that makes sense) but that will all depend on what sorts of mods are developed, their relative utility, etc.

I really like the idea of some sort of destruction mod (whatever the mechanism, just have to be careful about fire even if it's cool! Remember "The Martian"? It mentions how fire + space exploration often don't mix, this was also illustrated in Apollo 13 with the fire disaster that claimed the lives of several astronauts). I know, it's a game! Still, that doesn't mean we throw all sense of realism out the proverbial window. It is sci-fi though, so that means we can make all sorts of cool stuff up! Sometimes you just want (or need) to get rid of stuff in your area, around your base, or what have you. Dynamite is a blunt instrument so to speak. It doesn't care what it destroys. A mod that allows some discretion in its application? Now that's more like it, especially if we can limit collateral damage. I've read the Sarlacc makes a great wastebin, lol, but that doesn't help you much when on other planets. Perhaps instead of "file 13" maybe one could call it "mod 13"? :P Nah, a lot of the younger kiddos wouldn't have a clue, or they'd have to turn to Urban Dictionary lol (which is actually pretty funny I must say, plus it's also helpful for an Atari gen gamer like myself for the opposite reasons like understanding what my teenager is saying!)

Only slight reservation I have with placing a mod storage extension in one of the shoulder top "perch positions" is this: how will we continue to utilize those positions for energy production (such as solar and wind, if we are still placing such items there) or alternatively if we are positioning items such as supplementary oxygen tanks in those positions so we don't lose them in the event our character dies (right now the items assigned to those "shoulder perches" as I call them, are the only items that persist though respawning, in addition to  one resource stored in the backpack "printing hold," but only if there is one).

Sorry so many comments, thoughts, and suggestions. Keep up the amazing work! I too am relieved to see everyone contributing and working well together. I finally got up the courage to make a topic myself, and it ended up with a bunch of unsolicited advice completely unrelated to the topic at hand, with a few people making assumptions (for reasons that are simply beyond me) about what "style" of game might better suit me (like, seriously?), and attempting to enlighten me (really now) about just what kind of game Astroneer "really" is lol. It was an eye-opening experience, and an unfortunate one. Not the friendly discussion I expected, so I'm glad these do occur in the community! Thanks for restoring some of my faith. I needed it! :) 

13 hours ago, Torgado said:

This panel would have room for 6 augments with on/off switches for each augment.

6 augments are too many.  I think it would be better to just bind each of the 3 existing augment attachments to the 1, 2 and 3 on the keypad.  At least for PC.

43 minutes ago, Kantanshi said:

I think it would be better to just bind each of the 3 existing augment attachments to the 1, 2 and 3 on the keypad.

I think there are actually four augments right now. Broad (called Wide in-game), Narrow, Inhibiter, and Terrain Analyzer. Check this posting for details:

http://blog.astroneer.space/p/augments/

so, you've got one more to find. Get researching! ?

Compatability idea:

Inhibitor + Storage (both types) = Prevents any power nuggets also on the same Storage from being used up. Would also allow any Small Batteries on same Storage to be filled with power, but would then prevent that power from being drawn upon by the rest of the vehicle/base.

Say you want to store some power nuggets on your base, ready to be taken to a new base you are constructing, or to be used by yourself for keeping your Deforming Tool working away from your Tethers and Vehicles.  Obviously you don't want your existing base to use up these power nuggets accidentally. Well, stick an Inhibitor on the same Storage as the power nuggets and the Storage is then 'cut off' from the base's power network.

Alterantively, say you want to store one or more Small Batteries on your base, but want to keep them fully charged up, ready for you to pick up and use. Stick them on a Storage with an Inhibitor already on it (or that you then put an Inhibitor on) and the base's methods of power generation will fill up the Batteries, but the base itself will not draw power from them, allowing them to be fully charged and ready for use when you need them.

18 minutes ago, Ghostwolf93 said:

Compatability idea:

Inhibitor + Storage (both types) = Prevents any power nuggets also on the same Storage from being used up. Would also allow any Small Batteries on same Storage to be filled with power, but would then prevent that power from being drawn upon by the rest of the vehicle/base.

Say you want to store some power nuggets on your base, ready to be taken to a new base you are constructing, or to be used by yourself for keeping your Deforming Tool working away from your Tethers and Vehicles.  Obviously you don't want your existing base to use up these power nuggets accidentally. Well, stick an Inhibitor on the same Storage as the power nuggets and the Storage is then 'cut off' from the base's power network.

Alterantively, say you want to store one or more Small Batteries on your base, but want to keep them fully charged up, ready for you to pick up and use. Stick them on a Storage with an Inhibitor already on it (or that you then put an Inhibitor on) and the base's methods of power generation will fill up the Batteries, but the base itself will not draw power from them, allowing them to be fully charged and ready for use when you need them.

Just realised I need to clarify something with this idea: the Inhibitor would NOT effect the flow of power through the platform, module or vehicle that the Storage is placed on. Only the Storage itself is effected.

Example: Platform 1 has a solar panel on it, and is connected to Platform 2. Platform 2 has the Storage with the Inhibitor on it, and is also connected to a Reserach Module. Power will still flow from the solar panel on Platform 1 through Platform 2 and on to the Research Module to power it. The Inhibitor doesn't cut Platform 2 out of the power network, just the Storage it's attached to.

6 hours ago, Ghostwolf93 said:

I think there are actually four augments right now. Broad (called Wide in-game), Narrow, Inhibiter, and Terrain Analyzer. Check this posting for details:

http://blog.astroneer.space/p/augments/

so, you've got one more to find. Get researching! ?

Yup, I knew there were 4 augments, but there's only 3 attachment points on the terrain tool.

15 minutes ago, Kantanshi said:

Yup, I knew there were 4 augments, but there's only 3 attachment points on the terrain tool.

Ok, I understand what you meant now. Your original post didn't mention attachment POINTS or SLOTS, so I thought you where talking about the attachments/augments themselves.?