Blork

Smooth Terrain Functionality

The terrain deformation is incredibly fun, at the moment however doesn't allow for easy travel between altitudes, meaning easier deaths from falls, gliding into caves etc.

Would it be viable to add a smooth terrain function with the current terrain deformation? This would be alongside the push up, down and flatten functions currently. I know Unreal has a smooth terrain option in the editor. I think it would benefit the gameplay as far as customizing your cave entrances, as well as creating ramps that are better for transporting vehicles, people etc.

You guys are doing awesome by the way, nice work!

edit: I posted this in the wrong forum

On my steam version the crtl+Click smooths in the average of the area you click... is this different on other versions?  If what im ctrl clicking is mostly flat it smooths flat, but if its mostly angled it smooths to that angle.  

8 minutes ago, EricTheRed said:

On my steam version the crtl+Click smooths in the average of the area you click... is this different on other versions?  If what im ctrl clicking is mostly flat it smooths flat, but if its mostly angled it smooths to that angle.  

This.  Smoothing tool is holding down CTRL on the PC version.  No idea on controller.   And it works great once you get used to it.

Edited by Serlo

11 minutes ago, EricTheRed said:

It's easy to confuse flattening with smoothing :P

That's what is smoothing: http://pl.tinypic.com/player.php?v=2s9wwf4&s=9

For folks who use a controller, bring up your tool with the X button and change modes with the R1 shoulder button. Arrows facing out adds land, arrows facing in removes land and no arrows flattens land. Although, I don't really think of it as a flattening tool. It's more like the healing brush in Photoshop. It kind of matches the level of terrain where you first clicked.

Yeah, the flatten brush flattens to the specific polygon you click on, which can give unintentional results. I think using a smooth brush before flattening would more reliably give you the angle you want, which would be nice. Beyond remove, add, flatten, and smooth, a level option would be useful 5th option if you want to make something flat and level, but I don't think it's really necessary. 

I would love to be able to smooth edges when trying to dig down. With the low FPS trying to shape a ramp into a cave has lead to many deaths and one rage quit. So smoothing the area would help. Please add this feature.

The more I use Flatten the more amazing I realize it is, but yeah, a Smooth on SHIFT+Click would be muuuuuuuuuuuuuch appreciated. Some things you just can't do easily without smooth.

On 12/18/2016 at 11:35 PM, Serlo said:

This.  Smoothing tool is holding down CTRL on the PC version.  No idea on controller.   And it works great once you get used to it.

have you used this at all to make bridges or something on an angle (if you get your truck stuck or something like that in a cave) 

The thing that I would like the most is being able to see what angle it's going at and then it levels it out. It just doesn't seem consistent to me all the time.

On 12/19/2016 at 7:38 AM, ZacD said:

Ctrl is a flatten tool, it's not a smooth tool. 

To be precise it isn't a flatten tool it's a copy tool. It "copies" what you held Ctrl over to the rest of what you hover over. Flatten tool is very misleading xD

3 hours ago, ReeceCJ said:

To be precise it isn't a flatten tool it's a copy tool. It "copies" what you held Ctrl over to the rest of what you hover over. Flatten tool is very misleading xD

copy is misleading. copy implies duplication. the flatten tool (as labeled by the devs) moves polygons (a "poly" is basically a triangle) adjacent to the polygon at the center of the highlighted area to match the orientation of the center polygon in an outwardly radiating procedure. "Flatten" is aptly used.

Smoothing terrain is easy once you get the hang of it. I've come to like it because it's very easy to make ramps/slopes. The smooth tool pretty much doubles as a more consistent add tool as well. 

I'm getting better with Smoothing - can make a nice horizontal ground area. But making ramps and stairs ARE a bit cumbersome and could use some assistance.  Also the general sensitivity of the terraforming operations is 'hair-trigger' and could use a bit 'o tuning.

16 hours ago, Infentory said:

Smoothing terrain is easy once you get the hang of it. I've come to like it because it's very easy to make ramps/slopes. The smooth tool pretty much doubles as a more consistent add tool as well. 

The main issue I have with the current tools (add, subtract, flatten), is that it's hard to "fix" terrain. Flattening it looks unnatural, adding and subtracting makes the terrain bumpier than terrain is naturally, using all 3 takes forever and produces mediocre results. Adding and subtracting plus a smoothing tool would really speed up the process and give better results. The flatten tool is not a smooth tool. 

On 12/24/2016 at 1:43 AM, Dragonphire said:

copy is misleading. copy implies duplication. the flatten tool (as labeled by the devs) moves polygons (a "poly" is basically a triangle) adjacent to the polygon at the center of the highlighted area to match the orientation of the center polygon in an outwardly radiating procedure. "Flatten" is aptly used.

That is true, more of a spread tool if I think about it. I wonder if a flatten tool will be added tho xD