SES_Adam

"154" - April 26, 2017

I have said this before in the suggestion thread, but here goes one more plug. There should be some game difficulty options at the start of a game.  I think that allowing trading hydrazine should be a prime candidate for options in the game start menu.  

I'm glad the devs took this step in the right direction, it was great that free resources from hydrazine were removed, it was not an option or difficulty, in my opinion it was closer to an exploit, cheat. Like infinite ammo in a game or a wall hack. Why not just press 1 button and the game plays itself, with people doing nothing at all (sarcasm)? Sign of times. I don't want it easy, I want some challenge in a game. Besides, we don't even have options on Xbox, only 1 option about Y-axis that I never use.

Edited by WildTiger

odd things/bugs

i started a new game and well the landing site was nearly empty, no resources in reach and even below in the underground, there was nothing. after 6 hours i quit this game.
i was not able to research anything useful, i found only 3 researchable items and got only 2 researches. one the message just said "Researched: " and nothing. This game try was useless from the start, most required items, i was not able to research and to build up the base, was even the hardest task, since the lack of at least some core resources in range.

Observations:

Resources 
-) some of the resources are now deeper underground or expand from tunnels away. 
-) in one attempt, i was flooded with resin, even the moon was full of that stuff.

Planets:
-) well it is the experimental build, but physics are off, floating stones, plants etc
-) day night cycle seems a little bit off, which cause at the beginning a continues lack of energy.
+) lesser stones on the surfaces makes exploring more interesting.

Research:
-) in my first attempt, i was unable to research the truck, in my second i was unable to research the big solar panel
-) it feels like, the researches are given to you in the most unneeded way and important researches are hold back just to keep you wandering around

Connectors:
It appears that when you start a second base of operation and its connected to the first one with power/air lines, the enery is only taken from the first base. 

Oxygen Indicator:
When the oxygen runs lower the icon showed the correct left amount, now at 50% the icon shows 25%.

Edited by Ljorius

When you say floating stones, I did encounter things floating in the air. I don't remember this from other patches. Is it a bug with this patch? I left a research pod on the ground, came back a few seconds later and it was floating in the air. The same floating for no reason happened to spaceship parts several times.

Another possible bug I found, was when my rover was carrying a research pod and I exited the vehicle, everytime the front 2 roads buried in the ground and the vehicle got stuck, very annoying. Has this happened to anyone else?

As for your difficulty in researching, I didn't experience it. I started a new game yesterday to try the new patch. I enjoy the game more now, because it's deeper and more challenging. From different research pods I gathered, I was able to research almost everything. I researched the spaceships, rover, printer, portable wind vane, energy cells, storages, etc. The only important things I still didn't find are the truck and the big/medium wind turbine. But I like it that way. It is challenging. I will need to find new research pods to unlock those things I guess. Even if it will mean from another planet.

Meanwhile, my base is powered at night with a small wind turbine (printed from backpack). Hey, better than nothing lol.

I was able to find all the normal materials, plenty of resin, compound on the surface, aluminium and copper from spaceship wrecks and the red and yellow minerals I never know how to spell from underground caves.

Also, on a side note, I got completely lost once again, but after a while driving my rover on the surface, (all the mountains looked the same to me) I was happy to find my home.

I like the game more now because we don't have all the important things from the start, we need to research almost everything and when we do, the sense of acomplishment is greater.

34 minutes ago, WildTiger said:

When you say floating stones, I did encounter things floating in the air. I don't remember this from other patches. Is it a bug with this patch? I left a research pod on the ground, came back a few seconds later and it was floating in the air. The same floating for no reason happened to spaceship parts several times.

No, it was even in the previous patch. It's a problem with the new objects despawning system, I suppose.

It happens also with the resources left on the ground and other objects as well.

As for your difficulty in researching, I didn't experience it. I started a new game yesterday to try the new patch. I enjoy the game more now, because it's deeper and more challenging. From different research pods I gathered, I was able to research almost everything. I researched the spaceships, rover, printer, portable wind vane, energy cells, storages, etc. The only important things I still didn't find are the truck and the big/medium wind turbine. But I like it that way. It is challenging. I will need to find new research pods to unlock those things I guess. Even if it will mean from another planet.

Even after hours and hours of play, and hundred of researched pods from different planets, I still haven't found and researched the storage, oxigen tank, big battery, habitat, wind turbine, dynamite and few other things. I think that it's still too problematic the new research system but I like the fact that now we have to research more things. I just don't want to pass the entire time on Astroneer on going into caves and bringing back pods, all the time.

Hope that new kind of challenges will be introduced as well, to differentiate the gameplay and making Astroneer the game that it should be! :D

my bad, i posted my obersations into the wrong thread, they belong to the last experimental patch, sry for that

2 hours ago, xeryan said:

Even after hours and hours of play, and hundred of researched pods from different planets, I still haven't found and researched the storage, oxigen tank, big battery, habitat, wind turbine, dynamite and few other things. I think that it's still too problematic the new research system but I like the fact that now we have to research more things. I just don't want to pass the entire time on Astroneer on going into caves and bringing back pods, all the time.

Hope that new kind of challenges will be introduced as well, to differentiate the gameplay and making Astroneer the game that it should be! :D

I agree with more variety of things to do in the game, who knows, give them time.

I didn't count but I played yesterday a new game for probably 5 or 6 hours? Among the researches you mentioned, I already researched both storages and the habitat. I still didn't find oxygen tank, big battery, wind turbine and dynamite.

EIther the new research system has a bug and some things are not researchable, or there are no bugs and everything related to research works as planned. I assume the latter, seems to me there are no bugs related to research, not sure tho, further testing required by us, the testers.

I shall try to find the other researches I still didn't find. Maybe there is a logic we need to figure out, between the kinds of pods, their coveted inner secrets, like the devs have written on their blog. Some pods are on top of trees, some pods in caves, some pods under plants. Perhaps some kinds of pods have only specific areas of researches? Like say, if we want to research oxygen tank, where would logic say a likely place would be? Under plants makes sense, because in real life plants are connected to providing us with oxygen. All this is just a supposition.

Keep on exploring, brave astroneers, where no man has gone before, defy the devilish forces of nature, until we find the answers we seek, which keep us awake, restless at night, in this big dark cosmos.

Hoping someone from SES answers this:

Is there an upper limit to items spawned by player? And does dynamite have have a "max stacking" as in...

20 dynamite: whopty doo

200 dynamite: whooooopptttyyy doo

2000 dynamite: ?

When dynamite explosion stacking was announced, someone asked if one can blow up an entire planet to what Adam answered: Hmmmm

On 2017-4-30 at 1:04 PM, xeryan said:

No, it was even in the previous patch. It's a problem with the new objects despawning system, I suppose.

It happens also with the resources left on the ground and other objects as well.

Update, I may have found a bug? Not sure. Today, on the Barren planet, I researched "Oxygen". It just told me "Oxygen". I was like great, I was looking forward to unlock the Oxygen tank. Not so fast. I checked my backpack and still can't create oxygen tanks from titanium, it is nowhere. What did I unlock which is called by the game just "Oxygen"? It's not oxygen cells, because those I've already been creating for a long time. Is this a bug?

After we last talked, I made progress, I've unlocked the truck, but not a lot more. I still need to unlock oxygen tank, wind turbine, dynamite, all the augments besides terrain analyzer.

Today I spent a lot of time on Barren collecting research pods from everywhere, after I did the same on Terran. From rocks, from trees, from plants, from caves, you name it. Honestly, it's getting boring fast, repetitive and after all this collecting, I couldn't unlock what I'm trying to. This is the only thing we can do to progress with the research, collect research pods.

I think the new research system needs more fine-tuning, also needs to be better explained to the players, so we at least know what clues to look for, what places, biomes, planets, etc. Like this, it can get frustrating, not rewarding to the player, we collect research pods of all shapes all the time, and we only get compound, energy cells and oxygen cells over and over again.

Edited by WildTiger

Seems to me the Wind Turbine (the big one) and the personal generator (the little one that uses organics) are totally missing from the game now, many hours and many many research pods from below, above and other planets and no Wind Turbine or personal generator, two really useful items, specially for early game, I had 3 storage racks of "Filters", bunches of "Power Cells" from research pods but neither of the two power generators.

3 minutes ago, Unata said:

Seems to me the Wind Turbine (the big one) and the personal generator (the little one that uses organics) are totally missing from the game now, many hours and many many research pods from below, above and other planets and no Wind Turbine or personal generator, two really useful items, specially for early game, I had 3 storage racks of "Filters", bunches of "Power Cells" from research pods but neither of the two power generators.

Dang, the wind turbine and small generator are 2 of my favorite items, very useful too. I still couldn't research them in the current patch, after many research pods collected. Me too, I keep getting filters and power cells all the time.

3 hours ago, Unata said:

Been there done that after 50 hours just deleted the game.... at the very minimum they could put the organic generator on a dead astroneer.......

On 5/1/2017 at 4:31 PM, KeeblerOrc said:

Been there done that after 50 hours just deleted the game.... at the very minimum they could put the organic generator on a dead astroneer.......

That one I really miss, as it is I find I have nothing to do until the sun comes up, a LOT of standing around doing nothing at night now.

On 4/27/2017 at 11:19 AM, HellHasNoFear said:

The devs can't please everyone, just let them design their game how they like it and then play it for what it is. Don't hate on them if they make a change you don't like, because this game will never get finished if they have to go back and forth all the time. 

The entire premise of pre-alpha is for players to provide feedback. The. Whole. Premise.

On 4/27/2017 at 11:01 AM, Indomitus1973 said:

I think I'd prefer them lowering the trade value on it to knock the legs out from under the exploit.  If it took 4 hydrazine just to trade for 1 compound, or something like that, suddenly it's more worthwhile to just explore and find it than it is to build a hydrazine farm and trade for everything.  But you would still have the option if you were desperate.

This. Because the generator makes Hydrazine easy to produce, its value should be very low. That way you can produce it cheaply for your spacecraft but not as a quick way to get all the resources you can imagine. Even 8:1 would be fine. Because the machinery is already in the game for variable value, it might even mean just changing one number in the code to implement this.

Edited by malnaur

Everyone seems to want to tweak the play style or parameters of the game.  For example, some like no hydrazine trading, some would prefer it.  Others like to discover everything, some want a few things to start with, others want a lot of things to start with.

Make all these parameters user selectable.  That way this game meets everyone's expectations.  THEN, Astroneer will be a game for everyone.