SES_Adam

"154" - April 26, 2017

Completely understand the game still being early days. And Research was definitely too flat before. Right now, I do find the randomness quite tedious; not to mention occasional blank research. Especially since I tend to forget what kind of object gives what kind of research. (IS there a chart somewhere?)

I don't have a good solution for this qualm I have, but digging deeper and deeper into caves and having to slog my way back, pulling these research things one by one is going to make me suicidal. Now, if it were easier to get into a cave with a truck and some serious storage in tow, without having it fall over every time it hits a proverbial leaf (not to mention any vehicles I have in tow), tether or tiny bit of rock, I'd feel a lot better :)

To, again, quote my 7 yr-old daughter (after watching me drag along these blocks for two minutes): "daddy, don't you find that boring?" :)

As a part time game player I enjoy the game overall. I read the article in CPU magazine and downloaded the game immediately.

Now for my comments which are limited to the PC version.

The latest patch has improved graphics and faster run speed. Researching nearly everything is a giant pain. I have limited time for game play, although my wife would not agree, and the earlier versions gave me the tools I needed to play faster. Now resources are much more scarce and research fails to deliver a reasonable return on my time investment. Speaking of research the need to research most of the standard use items is troubling.

Overall the latest update shows the ongoing effort in programming is providing a better game play experience. I will continue to play, although it will take me considerably more time to accomplish the game goals.

Instead of not letting players trade hydrazine, just put a 5 minute timer on it. This way there is still incentive to build multiple hydrazine towers, while still encouraging players to explore.

Ore has become pointless as there is no purpose for extra buildings.

Research also needs a map or a progress bar to let players know there is still more to unlock. Also to let players know if they're doing it correctly since in older patches you had to collect a few pods from either rock,crash site, or organic. I don't even know if the game still uses this method, does it? 

I gathered almost all the research items from the beginning of the game, resets and researched many times.
Oxygen Tank and power cells are unlocked but can't be created.
Wind turbin and small generator will not appear no matter how many times research is done.
I researched "SS 3-Seat" and "Reserched : (empty)".
Is it different from "3-Seat" ?

19 hours ago, malnaur said:

For dog's sake, please make storage a default recipe. Having 'trucks' with almost no storage space is just ridiculous. Even having somewhere to put stuff other than piling it like a junkyard would be a huge improvement. I have also suggested, and repeat here, that a containerized storage module should be the next base module introduced. The clutter of harvested goods adds nothing to the joy of the game. 32 slots in an anchored module would be awesome (equal to a fully 'storagized' large storage).

^^This. I dumped over 6 hours into a new game doing nothing but research, and I still haven't unlocked any kind of storage. My base is completely littered with random materials, and my only option for storage is to dig holes in the ground to store stuff in. Not to mention how simple of an item storage actually is, it's really not something that should have to be researched...

1 hour ago, Barebone said:

Instead of not letting players trade hydrazine, just put a 5 minute timer on it. This way there is still incentive to build multiple hydrazine towers, while still encouraging players to explore.

I think I'd prefer them lowering the trade value on it to knock the legs out from under the exploit.  If it took 4 hydrazine just to trade for 1 compound, or something like that, suddenly it's more worthwhile to just explore and find it than it is to build a hydrazine farm and trade for everything.  But you would still have the option if you were desperate.

1 hour ago, Barebone said:

Ore has become pointless as there is no purpose for extra buildings.

Research also needs a map or a progress bar to let players know there is still more to unlock. Also to let players know if they're doing it correctly since in older patches you had to collect a few pods from either rock,crash site, or organic. I don't even know if the game still uses this method, does it? 

I suggested the timer on Hyrdazine a while back and am really happy I'm not the only one thinking the same thing.... If the Time to transport cargo increased each time it was used until it had some cool down time even better. And I agree totally that 5 minutes would be a perfect starting point.... but to just kill the trade is silly in my Space Capsule.

28 minutes ago, Tostito Bandito said:

^^This. I dumped over 6 hours into a new game doing nothing but research, and I still haven't unlocked any kind of storage. My base is completely littered with random materials, and my only option for storage is to dig holes in the ground to store stuff in. Not to mention how simple of an item storage actually is, it's really not something that should have to be researched...

But Dog's like to dig holes.... :)

12 minutes ago, Indomitus1973 said:

I think I'd prefer them lowering the trade value on it to knock the legs out from under the exploit.  If it took 4 hydrazine just to trade for 1 compound, or something like that, suddenly it's more worthwhile to just explore and find it than it is to build a hydrazine farm and trade for everything.  But you would still have the option if you were desperate.

How can Hydrazine be cheaper than Organic Yard Clippings..... Hydrazine value of 1......

The devs can't please everyone, just let them design their game how they like it and then play it for what it is. Don't hate on them if they make a change you don't like, because this game will never get finished if they have to go back and forth all the time. 

Guys, please check my proposed change for Hydrazine in relation to trading. I think it makes it more feasible without being totally game-breaking. I would appreciate more input for visibility.

12 minutes ago, HellHasNoFear said:

The devs can't please everyone, just let them design their game how they like it and then play it for what it is. Don't hate on them if they make a change you don't like, because this game will never get finished if they have to go back and forth all the time. 

I think you missing the point.... Its not Hating on the Developers when they create a forum and ask for input.... If they don't want Input don't create a Forum.

Just now, KeeblerOrc said:

I think you missing the point.... Its not Hating on the Developers when they create a forum and ask for input.... If they don't want Input don't create a Forum.

This guy gets it. A forum is a place for open discussion. It also lets the developers have a pulse on what the community thinks of their work and what is good and what needs improvement. There are things that they may not have thought of or are still working towards, and listening to the community helps them be more successful in that respect.

39 minutes ago, KeeblerOrc said:

How can Hydrazine be cheaper than Organic Yard Clippings..... Hydrazine value of 1......

If you're able to farm it on the levels we're able to, then it's simple supply and demand.  The value should drop if the "supply" is too high.  Maybe it could be a sliding value based on the player's actions.  If you trade too much, the value drops.

To address the concerns I've read about how much of a grind it is to collect all the research unlocks, I have a suggestion to SystemEra.  

How about just pushing a save game to everyone that gives the player a generic fully equipped base with everything unlocked.  That way, those who are more time constrained can hop in and immediately begin providing feedback on the new features?

3 hours ago, notehung said:

I researched "SS 3-Seat" and "Reserched : (empty)".
Is it different from "3-Seat" ?

Pretty sure that is Spaceship 3-seat.

@SamanthaZero So far I've only had one research that has not yielded anything and that was a yellow and red spotted mushroom so you can check it. unless of course this is a random event. hope this helps

6 hours ago, Nuinethir said:

This guy gets it. A forum is a place for open discussion. It also lets the developers have a pulse on what the community thinks of their work and what is good and what needs improvement. There are things that they may not have thought of or are still working towards, and listening to the community helps them be more successful in that respect.

I get it?....What did I get..... Oh yeh.....Power Cells and Filters......... Crap!

6 hours ago, Indomitus1973 said:

If you're able to farm it on the levels we're able to, then it's simple supply and demand.  The value should drop if the "supply" is too high.  Maybe it could be a sliding value based on the player's actions.  If you trade too much, the value drops.

You can Farm Organic with one augment and not even dig of leave base.... there is no market system in game yet.   Hydrazine in this game is the basis of Interstellar travel so it would be in high demand.

2 hours ago, KeeblerOrc said:

You can Farm Organic with one augment and not even dig of leave base.... there is no market system in game yet.   Hydrazine in this game is the basis of Interstellar travel so it would be in high demand.

For this reason alone, I think it doesn't deserve the spot it's been forced onto. Unless the plan is to allow parts of vehicles/ships/etc (which aren't part of the game's mechanics), such as a "ship engine," then this WILL remain the most important resource in the game.

I'd much rather prefer a form of NPC that dictates the price markets, changing continuously (and randomly) so that the player doesn't completely ignore exploration, the game's main focus. This could range from not needing a certain resource to paying more for another. Regardless of what can be traded or not, this will be an approach that could self-regulate with proper conditions with its code:

Sold too much fuel? NPC won't take no more until another resource is traded. I'm unsure where the developers are headed but this seems like a step backwards from the free market that was intended with this feature.

I've probably said too much on the topic. For now it's not game breaking and there are other things that will take the game into alpha and those should come first. Also: THANK YOU for making these changes...I could barely get exploring without those being already researched C:

On 4/26/2017 at 5:07 PM, SamanthaZero said:

@Beren99 - there's definitely been a lot of dissatisfaction with the longer research curve. We made it harder as a test, because it was a little too flat feeling before the change. The tricky part is that a lot of other people in the community liked the forced exploration aspect. The cycles of earning the vehicle bay and earning the printer resulted in an extremely rewarding feeling after they became available. That said, it was a little too hard. We will probably push and pull at it a few more times while in early access, but we'll always pay attention to how the community responds to our changes.

I, for one, enjoyed the challenge of having to find the Vehicle Bay and Printer. Granted, if you had bad luck, it became a grind. I would like to see it balanced out or the structures moved to a different system for learning.  It would be really challenging / fun to start with no structures and have to explore the plane to find the basics to get going. 

I can see Astroneer hopefully taking some inspiration from Subnautica when it comes to breaking things down for us to find in different ways. That game does a great job of making the player feel like they are constantly learning something new without handing them an easy start right out of the game.  Astroneer isn't as 'hardcore' as Subnautica from a survival standpoint but the feeling of stumbling across a wreck and being able to discover something new is an awesome feeling.

Edited by ApoNono

I honestly liked the game a lot better before patch 153 because I had tons more stuff to unlock, luckily I have almost everything I need in the game already from before the patch, the only thing is I hope the developers are listening to what their players want (They most likely are) and implementing most of the suggestions into a future patch. Astroneer is a great game and so much can be done with it.

On 2017-4-27 at 1:45 AM, schadeck said:

I was wondering how do I attach the augments on the Xbox One?

I have put a number of hours in recently with the 154 patch and finally found the inhibitor augment.  After building one of popped into my backpack as any item would.  From there I grabbed the item, but it the interface does not allow me to add the augment to my terrain tool. I can click on the tool, but it simply picks it up without revealing an interactive version of the terrain tool.  I have tried number button combinations to no avail. Without being able to add this to the tool, the augment just becomes a useless item taking up a slot in my backpack.

I am hoping to find some resolution to this issue in the next patch.

I'm trying augments, you can read on their blog post how augments work with the terrain tool:

http://blog.astroneer.space/p/augments/

You need to

1. Open your backpack

2. Move the cursor over the terrain tool and click the right trigger to make it bigger

3. Then you'll see 3 red slots, 1 on top and 2 on the right side. Just grab the augment from your inventory and attach it to one of the 3 slots.

I tried the terrain analyser, on light blue soil. Its meter filled up, now I can add terrain of the same color (light blue), or remove only terrain of that color. Now there is no way to reset this terrain analyser? It will be stuck on light blue forever? I can't use the same analyser with multiple colors?

For each new color I want, I need to create another terrain analyser? Is this how it is designed to work? In this case, if I want to be able to add blue, red, green and yellow terrain at the same time, I need 4 terrain analysers in my backpack with these 4 different colors?

On 04/27/2017 at 0:34 PM, Chris Deel said:

Over all i love the game and can wait for whats next. I can live with the smaller bugs but would rly love if they could put a end to the game freeze and crash after a prolonged gameplay time.

Have you reported the crashes that you are experiencing to the developers in the way described in the following posting?