Serlo

Patch 153 Feedback & Complaint Megathread

2 hours ago, Pi_ said:

Well, don't forget about the Trapped In Habitat bug... which has been present in every version since day one.  It's definitely a game killer.

However, I guess the jury is still out as to whether it's been fixed in Patch 153, due to the rarity of the Printer.  But after somebody has spent all the time necessary to finally get a printer (AND Habitat), are they willing to risk killing their game just to test if this bug is fixed?  Maybe so, Astroneers are brave souls after all ;)

I didn't say there are none. :P
The habitat bug certainly is a game breaking bug, but it's quite random and technically you do can avoid it entirely.

1 hour ago, Torgado said:

"Tad annoying?"  --- "for some?"

I really hope you're not speaking for the devs.  I really hope this is not their reaction.  If so, well, major bummer.

I'll be sure to make clear whenever I speak for the developers, but I am just a moderator anyway. Granted, I did phrase that a bit inaccurately (or too soft?). It's certainly very annoying for lots of people (but as we can see, it's already being changed).

I've played Astroneer for over 415 hours (most before this patch obviously) and find this patch seriously frustrating, if you start a new game for the most part unless really lucky to get a "tree" spawn area,  your in for a really long a tedious haul with researching a ton of early useless stuff before getting a printer or a vehicle bay, am at the moment to tired of running for miles and miles for that next un-researched item that I find myself "rage-quiting" a game I had found pleasing to play (before this patch) now, not so much, think I to will wait for the next patch in hopes someone comes to their senses :)

Well problem to be solved!!!   Tweet From System Era:

⁉️?️? We hear you! We'll soon patch so the Printer (and likely the Vehicle Bay) are available. You'll still need to Research for blueprints.

That's great news !

This feels backwards: with a battery attached to the tool, picking up energy goes into blocks not the battery. With the battery attached to backpack, it goes to the battery first.

Spent 10+ hours running around and getting research items, but have yet to find a printer or vehicle bay. I think research requires a tiered system, most important and core gameplay elements should be easiest to find or found prior to all the other research items. This so far is my base, crap tons of rare materials that I've given up on collecting anymore and only smelters and research modules. Hell even the smelter is lower priority than the printer.

Crap.PNG

Well problem to be solved!!!   Tweet From System Era:

⁉️?️? We hear you! We'll soon patch so the Printer (and likely the Vehicle Bay) are available. You'll still need to Research for blueprints.

Still.. in a way I kinda felt bummed that the hydrazine become untraceable, I hope it's just temporary.

I hope they just don't hand us the printer and vehicle  bay at the beginning tho. I would rather earn them, as long as I can actually find the blueprints. (four hours into my second save and still no printer) I really like the idea of having to go out and find the blueprints. Makes the game that much more rewarding to play.

2 hours ago, Dr. Sno said:

I hope they just don't hand us the printer and vehicle  bay at the beginning tho. I would rather earn them, as long as I can actually find the blueprints. (four hours into my second save and still no printer) I really like the idea of having to go out and find the blueprints. Makes the game that much more rewarding to play.

In the short run, it looks like they will in fact be handing them to us. In the long run, I'm sure they will tweak the progression more in the future.

I do agree, I'd like to earn them. But they need to be early research, not late research. It doesn't make sense for them to be late game, because they are major prerequisites for a lot of other items.

Edited by CobraA1
spelling

21 minutes ago, CobraA1 said:

In the short run, it looks like they will in fact be handing them to us. In the long run, I'm sure they will tweak the progression more in the future.

I do agree, I'd like to earn them. But they need to be early research, not late research. It doesn't make sense for them to be late game, because they are major prerequisites for a lot of other items.

yes, I agree with all of that. And having access to the stations in the short term is the better option until they fine tune how the research is applied.

One of the crazy things I love about this game is the ability to mess around with the terrain.  I've become obsessed with smoothing.  The new "smoothing" tool has new animation that makes it difficult to see which polygon I'm trying to smooth.  I don't know why it has to create a dust up simulation to smooth, but it makes it impossible to use.  Is there an option to turn off the effect?  Can there be an option to tun off that effect?  It's sort of useless if you can't see what you're doing.

I knew the research would be made more difficult.  I also have read there will be changes made, so I'm not going to focus on any of that.

I too saw floating research and a floating plant/tree I cut down, pics attached.  This was on a new game created specifically to test the patch.

361420_20170421173644_1.thumb.png.5a8b2db06f3447bcde0f3468b94dcf4f.png361420_20170421173101_1.thumb.png.3c6b29ce864f3dfee41d7e2cba91e1e7.png

I'm only sad about no longer being able to trade hydrozine, because I am attempting to create a long base around the planet in a solo game, and I don't know how else I'll be able to farm enough resin to complete the task I've been working on for days now.  I hope I don't have to give up on it. A couple of examples of what I'm doing below:361420_20170420194341_1.thumb.png.da6797263f2f6e756f9e8ff586b28ab9.png361420_20170420195719_1.thumb.png.ef68381f902b164329b9aaf42363d30c.png

Good thing they are fixing the vehicle bay and printer at least. I agree with most people on here that the game is a lot harder in patch 153 than before though. I'm pretty sure it will all work out in the end Though so no worries :)

TLDR #1: Make the starting recipes and trade-able resources a choice as part of a difficulty option at game-start.

TLDR: #2: Love the new animations for the terrain deformation, love the new augments - great job guys - keep up the good work.

I like the new, restricted starting recipe list very much.  It took longer for me to get a full base and prolonged my enjoyment of that process.  I've seen a bunch of YouTubers doing "hard-core" where they essentially fake a much more difficult starting point by doing various things to make their start more challenging.  For example, no trade platform, no research, no use of tethers, etc.

I understand that you are rolling that back due to feedback - I'd propose eventually adding an options page for which recipes you start with so each of us can tailor the game difficulty to what we find enjoyable.  

The same solution could be use for how helpful trade platform is.  I agree with others that removing Hydrazine as a tradable item is heavy-handed (if that's what's actually been done - I noticed that my trade platform doesn't seem to work and assumed that was a bug, rather than Hydrazine just not being a tradable item anylonger so I'm going to test that).  The same type of options difficulty screen could be created to choose which resources can be traded and their trade value or just as a general difficulty level / option drop-down.

So I updated to experimental to test the new stuff out, and got myself frustrated with what I got... or rather what I didn't got.

I've opened more than 20 research boxes and got absolutely no generator (not even the organic one), battery or STORAGE. Seriously, needing to find power deposits constantly or literally stopping everything until sun rise is not an enjoyable gameplay for me. Some boxes got me resources even on first open for that type. Got winch, drill (no crane), terrain tool mods but lacked the three essential to make the base function properly.

It was frustrating. Hope this got some attention before those updates go live.

On 4/21/2017 at 10:13 PM, Le Dru said:

SO, something else: what about the "elevator nerf" (not mentionned in the patch note i think). Can't elevate yourself with the terraformer anymore. HUGE disapointment for me. Not only it was fun, it was also extremly practicale in many ways. What's your opinion on this? 

Yes, I was disappointed by that too!

I imagine that it had to do with the changes with the tool, in general, not necessarily an intentional change, but I don't know.

In the past, I often often created elevator pillars to help scout from higher ground, as well as to retrieve items (and vehicles) that were stuck in mid air due to bugs.

The whole new 'weighted' research system needs a complete overhaul. Gawd knows how or why it is weighted the way it is because the technologies you first unlock are the weirdest, least desirable tech you could imagine and the fundamental tech that you need to develop your base and production may not appear until after 12 hours of solidly searching for it! And not even then!!

A Printer is one of the first base workstations a base needs and therefore the 'weighting' for that one should supercede anything else. It's either an oversight or it's bugged. In any case it just isn't worth wasting your time searching for it whie being handicapped by the lack of it.

I suggest you wait until this has been patched before playing

Before anyone directs me to Samantha's blog regarding the new research system, I have read it and while the theory for it may be sound, the application of it sucks.
Additionally, these 'reward' objects that some of the research provides are completely useless. I wouldn't waste my time or energy on crafting filters or fuel cells and I don't find it rewarding at all to have spent valuable time looking for research only to dump yet another fuel cell or filter into a growing pile to be dynamited later O.o

There is a good case for getting printer early, and veh bay to an extent, until a proper research list is available, there's no current way to keep track of what you have researched.  At least if you have veh bay and printer built, you can manually check what research you are missing.

Why are Wind Vanes (note: vanes, not turbines) locked behind research? It's already a non-reliable power source.
Honestly, there's no reason for small batteries to be locked behind research either... They aren't overpowered. 

Research requires power, and players have no means of gaining or storing power without solar. Small research should give players the bare minimum to get by and a taste of what's to come with bigger, more efficient upgrades. This current system is unusually punishing for a game about exploration and freedom. 

1 hour ago, Infentory said:

Why are Wind Vanes (note: vanes, not turbines) locked behind research? It's already a non-reliable power source.
Honestly, there's no reason for small batteries to be locked behind research either... They aren't overpowered. 

Research requires power, and players have no means of gaining or storing power without solar. Small research should give players the bare minimum to get by and a taste of what's to come with bigger, more efficient upgrades. This current system is unusually punishing for a game about exploration and freedom. 

You can create small solar panels in your backpack. They are not limited to your backpack - you can attach them to your base buildings. They will do the job until you get later research.

12 minutes ago, CobraA1 said:

You can create small solar panels in your backpack. They are not limited to your backpack - you can attach them to your base buildings. They will do the job until you get later research.

Having to rely solely on solar energy limits the player and forces them to work during daylight. Wind Vanes wouldn't break the game but it'd at least give players the opportunity to do what they have to while solar power isn't available. 

Edited by Infentory

17 minutes ago, Infentory said:

Having to rely solely on solar energy limits the player and forces them to work during daylight. Wind Vanes wouldn't break the game but it'd at least give players the opportunity to do what they have to while solar power isn't available. 

I went cave diving and resource gathering during the night. I don't think it's game breaking to have to deal with power issues.

to me the essential is tech is printer, research and smelter. the vehical bay was one of the first things I found researching! from one of those pyramid type research bocks. but I also agree the new research needs some tweaks its a bit too random. but I do like the idea where they are going with it. starting you out with very little does add too the survivability aspect of the game.

41 minutes ago, CobraA1 said:

I went cave diving and resource gathering during the night. I don't think it's game breaking to have to deal with power issues.

most caves I been have power resource on the walls frequently so I been harvesting that and haven't had much in the way of power issues at night. but I play survival games a lot so i'm good at thinking on my feet adjusting to not having much resources to work with.

After some more gametime i finaly found me a printer, took me 5 hours and bases on other planets.

What i never used was the smelter, i had whole to dump the many resources in cause no storage.

So how about you give us the printer right away and take away the smelter.

That way people can actualy build some of the other items they research and basebuilding isnt limited to placing powerlines.

• Performance increases are nice.
  • Modable tool is also great.

2 hours ago, Infentory said:

your forgetting the yellow  harvestable power on the ground you can use so solar isn't the only option. locking the wind vanes behind research is a great idea. it give you reason too harvest and use the yellow resource finally! part of survival.

the more I think about it. having only the research and probably the printer. would work if your required to research everything else. but the thing that plain defeats this new research system is the randomness of the new systems which make its unnecessarily  frustrating. for example maybe make the vehicle bay stuff from  the cubes, printer things from organic  research, shuttle and space ships from the research from crashed satellites. that why if we are looking for a certain blueprint we know which types of research to explore and look for.

As for the not being able too use the terrain tool as an elevator. I have mixed feelings  about it as its good as it can get you out of trouble but I also had it at random drop me through the planet.