Serlo

Patch 153 Feedback & Complaint Megathread

1st I'll agree the research is a bit too grindy now. Why not add a research tree so you can decide what gets unlocked for each research item?

2nd, I'm also getting floating items, I dig up research items, go back to them and their floating in mid air.

3rd, why not have community beta testing? Release the patch to people on the beta branch over the weekend, and let them find all these bugs before it gets rolled out to everyone.

5 minutes ago, Richy said:

3rd, why not have community beta testing? Release the patch to people on the beta branch over the weekend, and let them find all these bugs before it gets rolled out to everyone.

This is early access (the pre-alpha stage even). You are testing right now. :)

Just now, Wyvyrias said:

This is early access (the pre-alpha stage even). You are testing right now. :)

I'm aware of that, my point is that with a small pre release QA team there'd be a better chance to pick up on game breaking things before they get rolled out to everyone, thus ensuring a better experience for any new players potentially joining at the time its being rolled out.

Just now, Richy said:

I'm aware of that, my point is that with a small pre release QA team there'd be a better chance to pick up on game breaking things before they get rolled out to everyone, thus ensuring a better experience for any new players potentially joining at the time its being rolled out.

I have not experienced any game breaking bugs yet (in no version), so I am sure they did test enough.

The beta branch is really for the dev team only. They don't notify us of releases, and they don't review any feedback we make.

As Wyvyrias said above, you are doing the community alpha testing now.

The feedback about the difficulty in getting the printer and vehicle bay has been so loud I am sure they are working on it as we speak.

Since I'm rather new to this forum: Should I also post my concerns (more detailed) about the research progression or is it more accepted to just '+1' existing topics?

Greetings

2 minutes ago, Numbercruncher said:

Since I'm rather new to this forum: Should I also post my concerns (more detailed) about the research progression or is it more accepted to just '+1' existing topics?

Greetings

Just go all in buddy, we are all open to criticism

Ok, so love and hate the new research mechanic.

First few research items included the Shuttle and Spacecraft, which is awesome.  But you need a vehicle platform for those aye.

So after researching filters, filling my entire backpack and roaming far and wide, in and out of tunnels for nearly 3 hours... yes 3... and I had 2 friends drop in and out for half of that... I still haven't been able to research the vehicle station.

It's a bit painful. Don't want to complain as I love this game, but the fun has been taken out by this excessive wandering and slowly dragging back research to not get what would be most helpful.  Super slow to carry stuff, a chore over long distances.

Also guessing I haven't researched the following... Rover, Truck, Fuel Condenser, Inhibitor, Crane, Standard Storage, Wind Turbine, Solar Panel, and some others. Also took ages to the printer.

Suggested balance change, make Vehicle and Printers more highly weighted in research to enable exploration.  Could have gotten a bad RNG on the game there, but lets avoid that in the future.  Cross posted on Reddit for max viz

Overall I like the new patch. And vehicles can run over tethers now. Yay! Like everybody else said I think the vehicle and  printer unlocks should be a BIT easier to find. I have played for 3 or four hours in two saves  and end up making my bases HUGE just to hold all the items I can't use yet. Maybe if there were some kind of threshold, you unlock enough vehicles, the next research will be the vehicle bay, etc. It is however nice be more selective with the research, I can dismiss a lot of them and bypass the whole drag back to base open and be disappointed routine. I'm also seeing a Lot more of the planet this way. It really forces you to get out there and look for the crates high and low.  Before the patch it was too easy, now it may be a little bit too hard in my opinion. I'm definitely having to stop playing and take a break more often, it gets a bit tedious and grindy. I still think this patch was a step in the right direction.

Honestly, if we're going to keep this random research thing going then there need to be some priorities to avoid player frustration. How about keying it so that any time it would roll a vehicle related thing (crane, truck, space ship, etc) it would check to see if the player already has Vehicle Bay and if they don't to give them Vehicle Bay instead. This would increase the number of chances for a player to get needed buildings for progression in a seamless way and prevent the frustration of having a half dozen things unlocked you can't do anything with because you don't have the construction building. You could do the same with Printer.

Otherwise, good update. Performance improvements are appreciated, UI remains clean and the changes to the landscape tool interface are good.

3 hours ago, Richy said:

3 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

I have not experienced any game breaking bugs yet (in no version), so I am sure they did test enough.

I think with so many people now owning the game, some more QA is needed before general release. I know the game is in pre-alpha, and all owners of it should accept bugs and game play experimentation and not get attached to their saves, but there are often quite obvious issues with each new patch. Perhaps the forum admins and the regular streamers would make a suitable group.

I see what the devs are getting at with the early research phase, maybe prolonging the introduction to the game for newbs and I'm fine with that.

But from what is written here it does seem a bit too random or dare i say, broken. I've restarted 3 times now and only just got a printer, no vehicle bay in sight and walking around gathering research is getting a bit tiresome now, especially unlocking stuff I can't actually make.

Also I'm seeing lots of floating plants that I have chopped down for research and the storm also aims every single rock at me when it comes in.

5 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

I think we dont play the same game!?! The actually research system IS a gamebreaker! And some versions before the glitches into the terrain was too!

6 minutes ago, Feuerwalze said:

I think we dont play the same game!?! The actually research system IS a gamebreaker! And some versions before the glitches into the terrain was too!

It's only a game breaker if there's a 0% chance to progress due an issue. While it's currently a tad annoying for some, it's not impossible.

12 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

It's only a game breaker if there's a 0% chance to progress due an issue. While it's currently a tad annoying for some, it's not impossible.

How about if there is 0% chance of the average player sticking it out long enough to progress beyond it? It effectively amounts to the same thing in gameplay terms.

But yes its probably not completely broken, just needs balancing. However I'm think I'm done testing till the next patch. Looking forwards to it already.

18 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

It's certainly fun breaking having to grind so much and rely on RNG to unlock the rest of the tech.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could actually choose what gets unlocked each time, but making it random can get frustrating.

I don't think the vehicle bay is strictly needed, but the lack of a printer is really annoying. Your base is IMO one of the most important parts of the game, yet base building tech actually seems extremely rare. I don't even know what kind of research pod I need to get base items.

7 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

I have not experienced any game breaking bugs yet (in no version)

Well, don't forget about the Trapped In Habitat bug... which has been present in every version since day one.  It's definitely a game killer.

However, I guess the jury is still out as to whether it's been fixed in Patch 153, due to the rarity of the Printer.  But after somebody has spent all the time necessary to finally get a printer (AND Habitat), are they willing to risk killing their game just to test if this bug is fixed?  Maybe so, Astroneers are brave souls after all ;)

Research definitely needs a bit more tweaking. It's a common and rather frustrating occurrence when one opens up a research chest type that they haven't opened before just to get a resource that can't be used. I suggest that the first of each chest type have a bit more weight given towards unlocks.

3 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

"Tad annoying?"  --- "for some?"

I really hope you're not speaking for the devs.  I really hope this is not their reaction.  If so, well, major bummer.

I'm more than willing to hang in there while bugs are worked out because it's a fun game that's in progress.  

But if the team made this design choice that intentionally implements tedium, I'm out and I'll check back in later--- very much makes me question their design plan.  

I have no patience for shortcut, poor game design that uses tedium and 'the grind' in place of intelligent, enjoyable gameplay content in order to prolong progression.

This is a broken game mechanic.  Not a bug, not game ending, but it is broken.  The sooner that System Era acknowledges this and irons it out, the sooner we'll all get back to playing and testing.

5 hours of gameplay on this patch in 2 saves, no printer and no vehicle bay and just flat out tedium placing tethers further and further out to find chests that I drag back for 5-10minutes to get another duplicate.  I'll pass--- more to do in my life than engage in boring tedium in a game.

Cheers!  I'll check in next patch.

16 hours ago, Le Dru said:

SO, something else: what about the "elevator nerf" (not mentionned in the patch note i think). Can't elevate yourself with the terraformer anymore. HUGE disapointment for me. Not only it was fun, it was also extremly practicale in many ways. What's your opinion on this? 

Utterly ridiculous. There is no reason why we can't boost ourselves up in a game like Astroneer, especially since it makes more sense to be able to do it with a tool compared to games like Minecraft and Terraria where you're throwing stuff under you.

(sorry for double post, forum didn't let me edit my above post for some reason)

4 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

Aye mate, and its also not impossible to dig to China, just a tad annoying. The community consensus is that the new research "system" is anything but: why are we getting batteries or the 3-seat before we get a printer or vehicle bay? The simple fix is to not let further items be unlocked until the respective module it is used at is researched first, while the advanced, more interesting and engaging fix would be to implement a tier-system that lets you cash in research chests for points.

For those who have not seen it, there is a thread discussing the matter more in-depth, here (with screenshots).

Edited by JohnSmith666

Well problem to be solved!!!   Tweet From System Era:

⁉️?️? We hear you! We'll soon patch so the Printer (and likely the Vehicle Bay) are available. You'll still need to Research for blueprints.

13 minutes ago, Torgado said:

Well problem to be solved!!!   Tweet From System Era:

⁉️?️? We hear you! We'll soon patch so the Printer (and likely the Vehicle Bay) are available. You'll still need to Research for blueprints.

That will be awesome, That will help the fun factor for sure