Serlo

Patch 153 Feedback & Complaint Megathread

Not sure if the new research is bugged or what.    Starting off we can only make the research and the smelter.     So, I have been researching everything I can from (with every variety) for two hours... and still no printer or vehicle bay.   Unfortunately I have only found one wreck with that type of research.  I  have ran very far in all direction searching for more, in hopes that that type of research will give me a vehicle bay at least so I dont have to run everywhere and SLOWLY run back for 10-15 minutes caring research items.

Anyone else having this problem?   Let me know if I am missing something.

Cheers!

PS:  This is a new save file.

Edited by Lithium
Merged posts and threads into one thread

Same issue here.
Started a new game after the update, been playing for like 90min, lots of research big base, tho sadly no vehicle bay option and no printer :(

same, latest patch, started a new save, have 3 augments, dozens of copper & aluminium but only smelter and research buildings

Obviously this change has the potential to stir up emotions and induce rage, lets have a think and chat about it though.... Here are some points to mull over about before letting it get the better of you....

As a feature of the "end game".. Yes, I 100% support it. Astroneer is obviously going to be a game focused on exploring and survival. Having a endless amount of resources will lesson the full experience the game has to offer. Its a cheat mode, it's basically a in-built hack. It makes sense not to allow it.

But I'm wondering myself, has been done too early in the game's life? To be able to really push the game to it's limits, to break it and help weed out the most obscure bug's, you need freedom... and being able to trade hydrazine for resources allowed that. Building all sorts of huge base's, paths and ramps to the edge's of the game world, boring huge holes through planets will now take that much more longer to do in an already time intensive game.

Why has it been done? Maybe the Dev's need us to get out and about more to fully test the exploring/research side of the game? Maybe they need to test the way the engine generates everything fully? Their could be a dozen genuine/important reasons this has been done.

So ya, it's going to force players like me to "play" the game as intended, which is not a bad thing. But is it going to restrict us too much in terms of doing crazy and fun things or fully trying to break the game? As any good early release player should :P

It may not even be a permanent change, as I said before, it may be required at the moment so other things can be tested fully. What ya all think? Feel free to vent too.

Any chance of a Dev response?

I expect this to happen sooner, so I combined all of the feedbacks this megathread for the comfort of anyone to complain about what went wrong in the recent update.

I'll continue with mine

1. I don't like it that I kept researching stuff I can't use yet
  2. I think printer and vehicle bay should be an essential tech
  3. Nerfing Hydrazine by making it unsellable isn't a good compromise

man i really hope there is gonne be a fast patch for the missing printer & vehicle bay cause for everyone that reinstalled to play the update or people that buy the game new now wont be able to progress or really play at all :( 

Getting all vehicles and their upgrades, getting all printable items before finding a vehicle bay and a printer is just... wrong

Same here, started completly new. Stuck in the starting phase still after 2 hours. No printer and/or vehicle bay. Researched roughly 40 artifacts so far. 25 plant artifacts however (only one available in large quantities). Digging makes no fun because of constant energy issue especially at night without large batteries, which I can't have until I can make a printer. And researching makes no more fun when you have to drag the research items through large cave systems or long distances over longer periods of time.

Too man hydrazine in bio research items. More variety (e.g. lithium) please and more chances for blueprints even for common research items.

Why the hell are all storm-rocks pointing directly at me? It's like the storm is really throwing everything directly to me.

I have to warn you: Artifically prolonging the game by giving us lower chances for blueprints or recurring blueprints we already have or too tedious or too grindy gameplay is a very bad choice! Give us (new/additional) gameplay instead! Otherwise people might loose intrest in rage and frustration. Especially when you already played in the past you get somewhat sensitive to these matters. Next time we might not come back for a replay so soon.

Totally forgot: Why the hell are all research items start to float when I'm leaving the area? I dropped a bio research item beside the research table but need to wait because of night/energy issues. After I got back it floated rouhly 10m above ground. I needed another tour everytime I got back the item gained more height. Now it is soo far above ground that I can't even reach it any longer. Reseach items in caves starting to glue themselves on the ceiling after a while.

3 hours ago, Lithium said:

I expect this to happen sooner, so I combined all of the feedbacks this megathread for the comfort of anyone to complain about what went wrong in the recent update.

I'll continue with mine

1. I don't like it that I kept researching stuff I can't use yet
  2. I think printer and vehicle bay should be an essential tech
  3. Nerfing Hydrazine by making it unsellable isn't a good compromise

I fully agree about the hydrazine.  I can totally see reducing its trading power, but cutting it out completely is too far.

For the research curve, I think you need to have "baseline" items show up first.  Like getting the vehicle bay before you get any vehicles.  Maybe they need to be tiered, so you get "level 1" items first before the research curve moves up to the next tier.

Ok....I'm ok with some research (I'm thinking Vehicle Bay and Printer) being limited to wreckage crates, but I seems like the rarity of wreckage has been increased by a ton.  I spent twenty minutes exploring around my starting location but can't find a single bit of wreckage.  Save game from last patch I had about 3 within a few minutes walk of my initial base.  So far, I definitely feel like the research needs more tweaking.  I have unlocked the battery, Shuttle, winch, and ___ (for real, it's blank), but no vehicle bay or printer.  WHY?  I don't think you should be able to unlock items until after the structure they are made at is also unlocked.

Edited by Symmaethus

Same as everybody else (no printer, no vehicle bay after 2 and 1/2 hours of new game test, 4 different caves, 200 teathers in every direction, etc...), mentionned it on the patch thread. Mostly a frustrating experience so far.

SO, something else: what about the "elevator nerf" (not mentionned in the patch note i think). Can't elevate yourself with the terraformer anymore. HUGE disapointment for me. Not only it was fun, it was also extremly practicale in many ways. What's your opinion on this? 

First impressions: I think there is definitely a place for a slower paced game, it's just a bit of culture shock from the previous state. Used to be it was just a matter of time until I could get a vehicle bay up, and then the rover would immediately take me to truck and avalanche through the rest of the research. It is interesting that the game has more distinct phases now as each tech changes what you can do a little. I also wouldn't be surprised if the people jumping into the game day-one are a self selected group which loved the old pacing where you could jump in and start driving around.

It's kind of like when you drop down from highway speed to pass through a town. They both have their charms, but it sure feels slow.

So far I've found almost every type of research on Terran (I landed in a tree biome, which seems to spawn everything). Assuming there aren't previously unknown unknowns on other planets anyway.

Meanwhile I love sticking batteries and power blocks on my the tool. I've only found one augment so don't have much to comment on yet. I also have an untested theory that I could stick filters on it to keep them from being consumed until I wanted to turn them on.

Finding dead astroneers is a lot more valuable when you can't make the things yourself. It might be interesting if we could find other manufactured items (like with the chairs and large batteries) in wrecks and such, so the game would start out scrapping together what you find and progress into being able to build things on demand. That would also take some of the edge off not having the blueprints by giving limited access to key items.

I feel like the storms have become sentient and want to kill me. :P

Two hours of playing and I ended up with a head ache from all of the tethers I had to make without having a rover. I have 7 seats, so if I ever do get to make a rover, I am going to make a train, anyone is welcometo ride the PsychoTrain.

PLEASE patch this!!

Edited by PsychoSterope
another thought

Balance failure.  Happens.  especially in "alpha"  :)

Hopefully they'll figure out a way to make the game user/player configurable and dial-able for settings of difficulty and/or simplicity.  I.E. tons of resin, few compound.  Or, easy researchable but no resources to dig.  Or visa-versa.  The more dials of changes to items the better.  You get my point....

Edited by Nargg

Ok, I support the change to research --- requiring more exploration to find unique chests is a good thing and makes a lot of sense.

But if you don't find the chests that have the printer or at least the vehicle platform within your first hour or two of play, then exploration is severely inhibited and it makes the game tedious.  

I understand slowing progression, but there's got to be a better way to do it that is more satisfying than just hiding the printer and vehicle bay chests away in some dark corner of the planet.

Instead of hiding the printer/vehicle bay consider implementing a progression to get them.  Maybe break the printer into components:

• Base
  • Power Supply
  • Computing Core
  • Interface
  • Component Transducer
  • Solution Bay
  • 3D Nozzle / Printhead

Either way, we're hoping you (devs) throw us a bone here.  It doesn't make sense to be finding all of these printer recipes without having a printer--- intuitively, unlocking the printer should be what unlocks finding the printer recipes.  

I just finished a 6 hour stream of the new 153 patch. 

The first world I started we went for 2.5 hours and didn't find the Vehicle Bay or Printer and ended up "stuck" on Terran.

The second world I started we got the vehicle bay in the first research item and were off to the races.  We managed to keep good progression throughout the whole last 3.5 hours of the stream.  In the end we still didn't have everything researched after visiting Terran, Barren, and Exotic. BUT in all the change to the research made it a brand new experience that we all really enjoyed (outside of the tweaking needed to ensure the vehicle bay doesn't stay out of reach).

Multiple player performance was noticeably better and the vehicles actually let the other people drive them without the issues of the past. 

Well, that's the stink of it.  

This change to rarity of printer and vehicle bay really decreases the enjoyment of the game.  I'm in it for over 5 hours now, no printer or vehicle bay, but plenty of tedium!  Bad game design at this point.

Good game design would be to add content between Starting the game and finding the printer and vehicle bay rather than taking the shortcut of making them so rare that the game becomes tedium and grindy.  There's no reward to keep the progression going.

And if you didn't land in a forest, the rarity of unique chests blows too.  This only serves to prompt people to restart new games until they land in a forest. More bad game design.

If I came into this game new today and kept finding all these 'patterns' but didn't know what to do with them, I'd be very frustrated and just assume there was something broken (if I was new, I'd have no idea that something called a 'printer' or 'vehicle bay' even existed.)

Sorry, not trying to be mean at all, just candid.  Still superfan of Astroneer and dev team!

One more thing: I did almost no smelting. The game went from resource constrained to having piles of resources waiting for things you can use them on. I did some aluminum after I got wind vanes and then terrain analyzers, and only did copper when I got spaceship and needed that plus base seed material. For as much (and when) I used the smelter, it could be an unlockable itself.

Got lucky I guess... Researched a vehicle bay within the first 5-6 items. But I also researched something called "Oxygen" for my first item, which gave me nothing new to print via the backpack. No printer module yet.

Also getting the floating items bug, mainly rocks and plants that I have dug up. They are now floating around and get higher whenever I try to "ground" them. Used to be able to do this by building up terrain under them, then deleting it. Now it seems to force them higher.

Windows 7 PC

Well, first of all, sorry for my english, it's not my mother tongue. 

I've discover Astroneer few days ago (16 april)  and spend 10 hours on it. I was really enthousiastic about it and have a lot of fun by making mistakes (a lot !). When the new patch arrive, I was like "Hey ! It's my first week on Astroneer, I've so much to discover and allready get a new patch ! That's great !"

I only watch the video, don't read the patch note and start a new game. I spent 2 hours to find chest. 2 hours, on foot, with not enough oxygen, not enough energy to explore far away. And... It wasn't fun at all. It's too bad because I love sandbox game, where we need to explore a lot (Minecraft, Terraria, The Long Dark, Sunless Sea, Don't Starve, Starbound, Towns...). I've no problem with difficulty (I mean... Hey ! I play "Don't Starve" and "Don't Starve Together") but this is not a difficulty, this is boring.

Good :

1. Make research more difficult by reducing the number of chest. I think it's a good idea
  2. Nerfing Hidrazine. First time I discover the trade module and I could use Hidrazine with it, I think it was a bug exploit. Because Hidrazine is free, and I can trade it with all I want. It doesn't seems logical to me. So yeah, it's reducing a lot of possibility, but I'm ok with it, I need to find resources by myself. 

Bad :

1. If you don't let us start with the print bay and vehicle bay, then the chest randomize is not a good idea
  2. We can't explore far away because we have no tool to do that : Print bay and vehicule bay, so if we can't explore far away, we can't find a lot of chest, and if we can't find chest, we can't discover print bay and vehicle bay... It's not working. ;) 

So because I'm not having fun with the new patch, I'll wait for the next. :) 

I hope my review could help.

Edited by Bulbie

Two huge complaints.

DUST - seriously. Is this much dust necessary? When building paths it has become hard to see what your are doing.
ARROW - The huge arrow on the terrain tool. I hate it.

Not asking for them to be removed, others may like it. But having the option to turn them off would be amazing.

And yeah, three hours, no meaningful progress. I'm bored and done already. Will wait for the next patch unless the option or returning to 131 is given.

Edited by ozvoxhumana68